passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Legend of Korra

HandsomeDead

This is a game based on a Nickelodeon TV show, and not a hugely successful one, but Activision called up premier action game creators, Platinum Games, and asked them if they'd make a game based on this property... and they did.

There is no doubt that this game is 'A Job' for Platinum. They're a working studio like a lot of Japanese developers and they gotta make money to keep their heads above water. So I understand the decission to make this game.

And while the game isn't really that remarkable, it does have the elements you'd expect from a game from this studio. It's tight (not Bayonetta tight, but I'd say as tight as Revengeance), it makes you work that controller, and it's damn tough (I've seen folk say it's easy... they're psychos talking bollocks... it's pretty hard for normal folk). It's a good, solid, salt of the Earth action game. But that's about it.

There is very little flash in the game. No crazy cutscenes and boss battles that have mind boggling stuff penetrating your eyeballs or anything like that. Even the environments will make memories of low budget PS2 action games come flooding to mind. There isn't even much varity in the enemy types. But this is a £12 downloadable title so concessions obviously have to made. I'd also say it's not Platinums top tier personel working on it as it does seem to be a game working from a Platinum text book, if one exists... especially the chapter marked Metal Gear: Revengeance.

But let me tell you about what this game actually does. It's a brawler, obviously, and in the lore of the show there is a person called The Avatar who can weild all four elements: water, wind, earth and fire. Some can weild one, but only The Avatar can wirld all four, and that's you. You can do that. And that's the base of the gameplay. Each element is also tied to a fighting style: water is kinda ranged (think those disc things from El Shaddai), fire is quick strikes, earth is slower and more deliberate, and wind is pretty much an area attack kinda thing. You also have a counter move with some tight timing, and a safer but not as fun dodge. And you use those to fight a variety of differnt guys. The end.

Oh and there is a bit where you ride a butch labrador which is basically Temple Run but through the eyes of Platinum... it's kinda cool.

Despite it being text book and quite no thrills I am actually quite fond of it. It's coming from a text book I personally like a whole lot, and I'm finding it's low key presentation appealing, in a way. It's like there is a confidence in itself that is nice to see. It's plays a good game of hitting stuff.

It's hard to recommend now, what with Bayonetta 2 (and 1) out this week, too, but if you like this kinda stuff then deffo get it on sale sometime.