passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Probotector (Contra 3)

SlyEnemy 2.0

I haven't got a Wii, but I was feeling left out, so decided to talk about this.

I had it for my Snes way back when I never knew much about games. My mum and dad would just buy me stuff for my Birthday/Christmas and they did a cracking job of their choices (Secret of Mana, Unirally, Contra 3, Metroid... They had taste and didn't even know it).

Now the thing I love about this game is that it's hard as monkey nuts and twice as eclectic. Every level gives you something new, from the standard run and gun of level one (Complete with firey death bombs), to the top-down shootery of level 2 (Complete with spin around dual-fire), to the (Gotta be a favourite) superb Motorbike level which reminds me so much of the Giant Spaceship level on R-Type.

I used to play this all the time when I was a nipper and the joy I felt in completing it was greater than most. I think the only games to surpass that joy were Secret of Mana and Zelda: Link to the Past.

Simply put: It's time well spent.

unfortunatly this was dubiously missing from the VC release, even though it was meant to be released. A cracking game and I love it to but hard as nails, my friend has it on his PSP so was having a bash at it the other day as well and it's still hard as nails.

I often play it using the Zsnes emulator, you can play SNES games online and me and my mate often have a crack at it (Even though he's shit, so we constantly have to restart).

We should get a gaming session going with all the classics. Imagine Secret of Mana 2 player online :) Yummy

• 2 weeks later...

I had the U.S version of this on the Snes, it might still be about somewhere (an Ex girlfriend had a lot of my games) I loved it to bits and finished it both in single and 2 player (you do need someone who doesn't suck) I just hate the fact that yet again we're stuck with the lame PAL helmets wearing bastards version, they no where near looked as good, I want my rambo esc red bandana!!! FS......

.... Soz its a sore point with me!

• 2 months later...

Blimey it's hard innit?

I tried this the other day with a mate and we didn't get very far. I've just tried it on my own on Easy and I didn't get much further.

I like the top down section, wasn't expecting that and once I figured how to move the guy with the L and R buttons I was really enjoying it.

On a seperate note, does anyone know if there was a Contra game on the Megadrive as me and my mate both suddenly remembered he had a game very much like this (run and gun style, not Gunstar Heroes though)?

EDIT

I'm pretty much certain it was Midnight Resistance - Linky

Got the furthest I've been so far - the flying section where you have to jump from missile to missile and there's some kind of boss there but I keep getting killed. I assume you have to destroy the defences first, but I can't even get a good shot at it as I either get shot or my missile disappears.

Fucking hard game, and I'm on easy mode with 7 lives!

Triple posts FTMFW.

Finally cleared it on Easy (see: Complete a Game thread) but it was still blummin' hard. It's been a game I've been picking up every so often, almost like practicing matches, as the game is very linear, so you need to memorise the patterns of all the enemies (not just the bosses - of which there are many) and only then will you come good.

The most surprising thing about this game is I very nearly didn't buy it, but as I was trying to build up a decent collection of SNES games that I've never played, I thought why not?

I know everyone goes on about Gunstar Heroes, but I much prefer this. Maybe I should now go back to that, but I found GH to be unfairly hard in places whereas this was more enjoyably hard. If that makes sense.....

Anyway, a top game and one that everyone who hasn't already done so should play.

It also has some graphical effects and massive bosses that are impressive after all this time, and I bet back in the day it made grown men weep.