passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gottlieb Pinball Classics

stu

Right, i'm crap at writing things like this, but thought I would give it a go!

---

What strikes me first of all with this game is the instruction manual.

When I used to get my US Gold and Ocean games for my C64 you always got a little message from the publisher in the manuals.

Well, on page 5 of this games manual, there is a lovely little letter from a Mark Cale from System 3, in which he sets out the companys gameplan for Wii.

Lovely.

But yes, on with the game.

After the intro sequence that takes you around a pinball museum, you are greeted with a load of options.

Gottlieb Challange takes you through each table in turn (there are around 9 of them, with bonus machines like Love Tester and Xolten) and you have to get a set score on each one to progress to the next.

Practice allows you to choose which table you wish to play, some are free, however, some you will need credits for (credits are earned in the challange mode and the tournament mode.) Also in this mode each table has a certain goal (such as "light up left side targets" which will win you extras.

Play Tournament enables you to whack through all the tables and set high scores for each.

Payout mode is locked at first, but will eventually enable you to play poker or blackjack to win more credits.

These are the main play modes, and many things can be changed in the options.

So how does it play?

Well, let us choose a table in practice mode.

We are at first greeted with a nice voice over telling us the history of the table, and a guide around the table showing us the stand out points.

A menu then appears which allows you to view goals, change settings, see top scores etc etc etc.

Once you start playing, you have a choice of 6 camera views, different views work better with different tables (usually views 3 or 4 seem to work best for me).

You use the Z trigger on the Nunchuck for the left flipper, and the B trigger on the wiimote for the right flipper.

You pull down on the analogue stick to launch the ball.

But what about nudging? well, that's locked at first, but once you unlock it you nudge by flicking the wiimote in various ways. I can't comment on how it works as I havn't unlocked it yet.

The ball physics are perfect, it feels heavy as a pinball game should do, sometimes you will lose the ball repeatedly without being able to flick it, but that to me is how a pinball game should be.

frustrating, confusing, yet downright addictive to the point where you force yourself to become a god!

erm, what else is there... there are tournaments for up to 4 people, erm, unlockables, a factory and erm, unlockable balls.

Its a great game for £25 and I would recommend it to anyone who has ever fancied themselves as a bit of a Tommy!

B+

Great, but not exactly mind blowing!

---

feel free to add this to the reviews page admins!

darkglobe80 wrote:

if you like pinball, it is the best console pinball game i've played.

Have you played Pinball Fantasies? Damn, I used to love playing that with my dad on our A600. Still got it, but alas, no Amiga. I'll be picking Gottlieb up when I have the funds. For 25 quid it's the perfect price for this type of game in my book.

oh i loved that gane, there was also one called pinball dreams IIRC....

which also ruled.

And as we're talking of pinball games, Revenge Of The Gator was awesome, that was a launch game for the Game Boy.

Kirbys pinball land and Pokemon Pinball (i preferred the first one TBH) were also great fun.

Yes, Pinball Dreams was the prequel. I have Kirby's Pinball Land on the GB, and Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire on the GBA, both superb pinball games. Metroid Pinball for the DS is also decent.

Hmm, I'm more into pinball simulations that I thought I was!

I had this on PSP and have to say it was a lot of fun! For something that could easily have been a £3 bargain-bin PC title, they put a lot of effort into the PSP version (You could flip the screen and play it length ways, which was awesome!) and the physics were brilliant. Still as frustrating as real football though.

I enjoyed the "Missions" that you got too, much like the Clubhouse Games missions bit.

• 2 months later...

Had this for a while now, and its great. Wasn't too keen at first (mainly coz it shafted me big time i.e. straight down the gutter) so I didn't play it for a week after I bought it. Now Im playing whenever I get a spare chance its loads of fun! ok there's a few table I don't like, I Mainly bought it for Victory and Tee'd Off which I used to play years ago, pretty sure I've played BlackHole too. I've now Unlocked most stuff, so its all free play now. I'd grab this gem if you see it going cheap, its a good addition to anyones collection.

CODES:

The second time I played it I went into the codes menu by mistake, instead of quiting out I put a random code in (just wiggled un clicked) and fuk me it unlocked the TILT mode for me lol!!! Here's all the codes..

The following codes should be typed in at the Enter Code screen, and will save you having to splash out your cash on buying them.

Love Machine – Free Play

Enter in this code = HOT

Teed Off – Free Play

Enter in this code = PGA

Xolten Machine – Free Play

Enter in this code = BIG

Aces High – Free Play

Enter in this code = UNO

Central Park – Free Play

Enter in this code = NYC

Strikes n Spares – Free Play

Enter in this code = PBA

Playboy – Free Play

Enter in this code = HEF

Black Hole

Enter in this code = LIS

Goin Nuts – Free Play

Enter in this code = PHF

Payout Mode

To unlock Payout Mode, simply enter in the following code = WGR

Custom Balls

Enter in this code = CKF

Optional Tilt

Tilt = BZZ

Following the correct entry of this code, the new setting will become available in Options.

Hendo wrote:

So, you'd recommend it? I've seen it around but not thought too much about getting it.

Yeah, I only got it coz I love pinball machines, and had played Victory in the arcade before. It was only £20 and I had some credit notes left over from swaps! If you love/like Pinball Its well worth a look.