passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Megaman ZX

James

Just popped the cartridge in this morning and so far so good. The graphics are amazing, it may look simple in static screen shots but the levels, characters and enemies are colourful and beautifully animated, the explosions especially look nice which is vital for an action game such as this. Oh and there are anime sequences too, displayed on the top screen at certain points in the game and voiced in Japanese with English subtitles, it’s a nice surprise when they come on since I wasn’t expecting anything like that. I think the plot is making reference to older Megaman games (the Zero ones I would imagine) but despite me not having played them I can still get an idea of what is going on.

Gameplay wise this is the usual Megaman but everything seems more balanced and finely tuned, he still can’t duck, but the game rarely feels as frustrating as the older titles, even the bosses give you a fair chance this time around. I don’t like the “Castlevania Castle” style of the game world though, while the Castlevania games usually have a decent map for the player to follow, Megaman just has Zones which aren’t as clear as they should be. For example you will be in Zone E and have a mission to collect something from Zone F, now logic (and the alphabet) would state that Zone E and Zone F are right next to each other but in the Megaman world, you have to go all the way back to Zone B just to get to Zone F. Sounds confusing? It is!

But still damn fun...

I'll go one step better, I'll sing you the answers instead...or maybe not.

I'd say this is more like the Zero series than other games and its no longer a case of picking what boss/stage to tackle in order, its a lot more freeform and open ended. Plus, like I said, everything seems more balanced and finely tuned in this game, it offers a decent challenge without being frustrating (so far, only NGamer has considered it such) or resorting to cheap hits.

I'm liking it more the more I play it :) If you love Castlevania/Metroid then you'll love this one too.

• 2 months later...

Can someone delete the other thread please :)

Once i'd got past the unskippable cut scene i'd already watched on the title screen, things have got off to a good start. I was sure in the last Megaman I played you could duck, either way in this one you cant. You hit the ground running with a very short opening section before fighting a robot snake, then after some more bewildering text, you get right back to the blasting.

So far it's been nothing like as hard as the old games, infact if it wasn't for the overbearing feeling that I'm missing something important (I'll read a guide later i think) I'd say that the game seems a bit of a breeze. I really dont know what I'm doing though, i've picked up a few items that have made text appear, but havent a clue what they do, i've also been given some options, but again its over my head.

Nice and arcadey tho, just what a handheld needs

And right after posting that in the other thread I got stuck :( Reading James thread it sounds like I have to just keep wandering around until i get the beepy thing in the corner of the screen again (you get a beepy thing in the corner of the screen when you've fulfilled a task)