passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gunstar Heroes.

OK, so my memories of Gunstar Heroes were vague at best, I remember one of my friends had it and harped on about it being the greatest thing he had ever played, I remember playing on it briefly and agreeing with him, everything after that is a blur.

I know I never owned it, but I don't remember playing on it much, so I just have this memory of a first impression, and a good one at that.

So I bought it on the VC knowing I thought it was good at the time to play through it properly, and well to be honest it is one of the most fin games I have played in a long time, past or present. The action is non stop and at an insane pace, the difficulty options are tailored perfectly, the way you can choose your weapons and play style really help to vary the game.

So all good news then, but it only gets better. So Shin_Seffron comes round to my house and we have a bash on it 2 player, (I think we got near the last boss as well) and I am going to go ahead and say it was the most fun multi player since Goldeneye, and definitly on a par with Wii Sports (if you get like minded people that is). I don't know whether Shin thinks the same but I thought it was amazing.

You kind of play through the game exactly the same just co-operating, you can throw each other at enemies which kills the enemies, other than that you just both blast away to your hearts content. I am starting to build up a nice d-pad calist as well seeing as you can play it with the Wii-mote on it's side NES style.

If you never played this game buy it, if you played this game buy it. (I accept no responsibility if your opinion differs from mine :P )

Really made me look forward to Metal Slug Anthology all the more as well, as I never really played those games much but heard they were on a par with Gunstar.

I too never played it much back in the day cos i didnt have a Mega Drive when it was released, but playing it today was so much fun! More fun than I've had in a long time!

Especially as ive played more than my fair share of retro games in recent years, and as im sure many of you will agree, some games you always wish you'd left alone simply because they just wernt as good as you remember... this isnt the case IMO.

I'll definitly be buying this as soon as i get some Wii points...

... and it made me think... I cant wait for Super Probotector on the Virtual Console! :cheer:

glad you enjoyed it :) I'll be getting Super Probotector on your word now, (never played it at all)

Yeah some games the memories are so much better than the games.

Bought this the other week, and though I've owned a Megadrive (or possibly 2), I don't think I've ever owned or played this (even though I did a lot of hiring games out in my time).

Its made by Treasure, so you should know that there's lots of shooting and lots of dying. I believe the correct term is "run and gun" and this is just that.

It's aged bloody well! Looks the business, bosses still look impressive, and the sound is good.

As it's the PAL version there are borders, but to be honest it doesn't bother me too much as all I played until recently are PAL games, so I'm used to borders.

From the looks of it, a second player can join in anytime, which is good as I bought 2 Classic Controllers! Mind, you can play with just the remote.

A nice touch for presumably all VC games is you get a kind of virtual instruction book. Also, when I exited the game to the Wii menu, the turned off the machine, then turned it back on this morning and went back to the game, it started straight back up to where I was! Didn't expect that! That's bloody useful.

Anyway, from what I've played, bloody good game!

Hendo wrote:

Also, when I exited the game to the Wii menu, the turned off the machine, then turned it back on this morning and went back to the game, it started straight back up to where I was! Didn't expect that! That's bloody useful.

yeah all VC games do that found that out today as well, Hendo puts it best bloody useful, imagine all those games you could never complete because you had to do it in one sitting, aha so many open doors now, you reckon it saves your space in more than one VC game at a time though?

It certainly does!

Not only that, but I read something about it not saving if you turn the machine off, but I took my Wii to a mates place, and when I got there and turned on the machine my saves for F-Zero, Gunstar and Toejam were all still there!

Fedex wrote:

Hendo wrote:
Also, when I exited the game to the Wii menu, the turned off the machine, then turned it back on this morning and went back to the game, it started straight back up to where I was! Didn't expect that! That's bloody useful.

yeah all VC games do that found that out today as well,

N64 games don't. :) It's a superb feature, though, really love it!

I have Gunstar Super Heroes on the GBA and it's awesome. Some of the most impressive graphics on the GBA, too! I have played Gunstar Heroes on the MD and it's solid. I don't think I'll be downloading it, though. Super Probotector, now that's a game!

RetroEd wrote:

Fedex wrote:
Hendo wrote:

yeah all VC games do that found that out today as well,

N64 games don't. :) It's a superb feature, though, really love it!

I have Gunstar Super Heroes on the GBA and it's awesome. Some of the most impressive graphics on the GBA, too! I have played Gunstar Heroes on the MD and it's solid. I don't think I'll be downloading it, though. Super Probotector, now that's a game!

I'll be getting that'un too, so, let me get this right, if you exit a VC game via the home menu, then re enter the channel it takes you to the exact same place where you exited, (this we know) but does it save that way on more than one VC game at a time as well!! Cos that seems more like pausing or the low power mode on the DS and freaking pwns. I am well gonna be completing all me old MD and NES games I never could, most SNES games you could save on anyway :P .