passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam

Hendo

Firstly, no, I haven't got this.

Secondly, it's not my impression or review.

Thirdly, I would've put this in News but seeing as the game is out and all.....

Anyway, Eurrogamer have reviewed this. Go have a read.

Here's some quotes....

Skateboards are long and thin, and point forward. Wii controllers are long and thin, and point forward. We have synergy. So the first surprise comes, in this first console Hawk game not to come from Neversoft, as you are instructed to turn the Wii controller sideways and hold on with both hands. The second surprise comes when the menus require you to scroll through with the d-pad, including when entering your name from the on-screen keyboard. It's only been a week, and this already feels like the antiquated way your grandmother entered her initials into videogames when she was young and the war was on. You've got a pointer in your hands, and it won't let you point.

Tony Hawk games have traditionally used forty-seven buttons. Oddly, rather than streamline it for a racing game, the choice here has been to stack things up. The 2 button, on the right side of the controller, is for crouch and ollie. The 1 button for grind. Makes sense. Then there's grab tricks, which are on the, um, 2 button. And flip tricks on the - is this right? - 1 button. And then there's the combat. (Combat?!). Which is on the... hang on... yes, which is on the 1 button. And manual? They've taken that out. Why?! So if you're the sort who holds down the ollie before landing, to ensure speed is maintained, you'll be grab tricking your descent like a loony, or punching a passer-by in the face.

The Wii-based innovation is the steering. You steer by tipping the Wiimote left and right, and you accelerate or decelerate with forward and backward. But try telling my left thumb that. No matter how long I play, my digit is all too aware that it would all work a lot more effectively if I could only steer with the d-pad. There's nothing horrifically wrong with the leaning control, but it just doesn't feel instinctive in the same way as tipping a Monkey Ball track might, or reaching for a backhand in Wii Tennis does. It works, although struggles on the tightest bends, but it's not quite a revolution in skateboard gaming.

(He also does an aside at the end)

I owe the people at Vicarious Visions an apology. In reviewing their DS version, I was very surprised by the drop in quality after their sequence of excellent handheld ports. Having seen the materials with which they began, I've now a lot more respect for the game (although of course it still earns the same mediocre mark). They had the good sense to undo a lot of the mistakes Toys For Bob have made. They put manuals back in, made bails related to tricks, and made many of the modes more interesting. Kudos guys.

(For the record, the DS version is a damn good game, though I've been thinking this would suck just by the control method alone. Something inside me still wants to buy it though....)

• 2 weeks later...

And I bought it.

Shame on me.

Have yet to try the single player, but had a little bash straight into multi with a mate, so we were both thrown into the deep end, and it is as bad as my fears suggested. To be honest, I haven't played enough to get a proper feel for the controls, but everything that the Eurogamer review said ran through my mind while I was playing it and it's spot on.

The DS version works really well, as it's a twist enough on the franchise that they put the game going down hill, but the normal controls make sense.

Adding some weird Excite Truck controls (complete with weird cut-down button controls) feels tacked on to the extreme.

They could've used the nunchuck for steering, and buttons on the remote (and the odd flicking gesture) and it would've worked much better.

It probably doesn't help that I've played Project 8 on the 360, but I don't have a problem with the graphics. As I love the DS version, nor do I have a problem with the downhill concept. The way this has been done though is so far pure shit.

Maybe I'll play it more and change my mind when I've given it more time, but so far this seems terrible.