passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Nirvana - Nevermind

illdog

I know Nirvana blew up and were ultra poular which i understand put some people off them but....

I fucking love Nirvana. As i sit here Incesticide is playing on ITunes and it just reminds me (cos I forgot) how gnarly they are.

I was 14 in 1991 (big up 1991! Prince released the Diamonds and Pearls album with the spectacular Get Off single and God blessed us with the release of Super Castlevania IV on the SNES. Big up 1991!) when i first heard Smells Like Teen Spirit and that was it. Nevermind was released and it was the soundtrack to my teeneage years (along with NWA's Straight out of Compton).

I did all the cool things in my life for the first time to Nirvana and I think they will forever live in my heart. Nevermind is top five of all time, probably top three. To me, it still sounds as good today as that first play through on cassette in my mums front room when i was 14. Almost every song is excellent and are in perfect order.

I love the way Smells Like gives way to In Bloom, that opening riff on In Bloom still blows a hole in my soul, the drum beat when Kurt sings eeeeeeeeeaaaahs the one! at the start of the chorus - damn kid! The video was kick ass too.

Even tho it was the second single, i was never a massive Come As You Are fan, dont get me wrong, its a great track, just not my favorite.

Breed just fucking rocks (makes you wanna drive fast) and the chorus is the best (we can plant a house, we can build a tree!). Lithium is an all time classic, the video was a 'live' affair, yall remeber that? Them stumbling all over the stage?

My love for Polly was doubled with the new wave version on Incesticide, they sound great at either tempo.

Come on people now, smile im your brother! Was just a tease to the explosion of song that follows. My mum hated Territorial Pissing cos it was 'just noise' but I loved cos it rocked AND had a swear word in the title.

Drain You will forever remind me of Super Castlevania IV, its not like i didnt love the track anyway and having a splash of Castlevania wee on it makes me worship it. The water is so yellow im a healthy stupid/student? I still dont know. And the way it comes back after the breakdown with Kurt screaming makes my spine tingle.

I still play air bass to the beginning of Lounge Act and i love the way Kurt screams the last minuite of the song. FUCKING ROCKS!!

STAAAAAAAAAAAY. STAY AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Need i say anymore?

I love it when rad tracks are at the end of albums and On A Plane is always a treat. I love it at the end when it goes - And one more special message to go and then im done and i can go home.

And finally Something In The Way. I didnt like at first but its actually quite a beautiful track. OOOOOOOOouuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

God bless you Nirvana and Nevermind - i wouldnt be me without you.

*applauds*

Quite right.

Though I never got into them when Nirvana came out - my school was full of the "cool" kids who just latched onto anything cos they were told to by NME or whatever. Though I secretly loved Nirvana I refused to admit it.

It all came out though when they brought out In Utero and all the twats lost interest. I still think that's as good as Nevermind, just in a different kind of way.

Most people slag off Bleach but I think it rocks like a bastard.

And Unplugged is up there with the best albums ever made. Ever.

By anyone.

But yeah, Nevermind has such a brilliant order and feel.

I played it to death around the time it came out, and started getting sick of the ultra-crisp sound (which apparently, the band did too, hence In Utero) but every now and then that you put it on, it sounds big, clever and truly awesome.

Yeah I've gotta confess I like In Utero more, if only because the tracks weren't all overplayed, but Nevermind does rock. Almost everyone I know likes Foo Fighters better than Nirvana, but they're a bunch of idiots.

Nevermind gets too much attention; Incesticide, Unplugged, and In Utero are all there or thereabouts too.

I'm with Chin, I prefer In Utero to it. Regardless of how bored i am of Nevermind (and unplugged) now, I've always preffered In Utero, it just seemed to have an edge to it, an honesty that none of their other stuff had. In Utero would probably make my top 10, but i dont think Nevermind would.

I always preffered Pearl Jam anyway :P

I love all their albums equally, although I can probably pick a traxk from each that I adore.

Negative Creep - Bleach

Lithium - Nevermind

Sliver - Incesticde

Pennyroyal Tea - In Utero

All Apologies - MTV Unplugged (I know its just an acousitc album of all their other tracks but I love it on that album more than I do In Utero)

I was only 7 in '91 and my brother was into HipHop while ym sister was mainly into pop (they also did alot of the acid rave stuff), but I distinctly remember wanting Nevermind despite not knowing anything about the band or what their music was like because I found the album cover shocking...

Now come on everybody,

"HEEEEEEEEEEE'S THE ONE, WHO LIKES ALL OUR PRETTY SONGS, AND HE LIKES TO SING ALONG, AND HE LIKES TO SHOOT HIS GUN, BUT HE DON'T KNOW WHAT IT MEANS...."

If anything, they're just great to scream along to and still have something catchy in their music...

• 4 years later...

Anyone seen the tracklist for the 20th Anniversary Edition "Super Deluxe" version? :unsure:

35 quid on iTunes, 4 discs worth.

Previewing a few tracks, some are a bit of historical use only. I'm not sure how much you'd listen to the "Boombox" versions of a lot of the tracks - loads of tape hiss as you'd expect.

Also the whole of the album is available on one disc as the "Devonshire mixes", rough mixes Butch Vig used to demo the tracks for the band before they got mixed properly. So chances are, this is how they actually wanted it to be before it got polished up.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OCu28HD477k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G73dOfRRhTo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Breed's guitar sounds much rawer.