passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dead Island 2 🧟‍♂️

Nag

So after, what? 9 or 10 years Dead Island 2 is finally here and you know what?... I'm having a pretty decent time with it. The first thing I'll say is it feels like an Xbox 360 game... and it's a matter of opinion if that's a good or a bad thing. For me after Dying Light 2 tried to do far too much (in my opinion) having a game that just wants me to hit things until they fall over in a bloody mess is more than OK.

b8fae41a-a605-4008-99ef-fb4b4e9ad679.png

The other thing I wanted to say is the opening hour or so is pretty bad... shit weapons that break way too easy and spongy enemies that hit way too hard... or maybe that's my own fault for picking the poor, frail girl character... who knows... anyway things liven up when you get your first real mission and access to a workbench.

f7fe7d27-cbba-46d2-956e-3a450cf70818.png

Anyone who's played the original games (or the Dying Light games) will feel right at home with the modding of weapons and such, electric swords and and flaming golf clubs... all that good stuff.

The flesh system is really cool, thwacking a zombie in the face and seeing its jaw dislocate and detach is pretty mind-blowing and adds a lot to the melee combat (not found any guns yet)

The other cool thing us being able to use liquids... I was doing a side mission and reached a part where ther was about 10 zombies banging on glass doors trying to get in... noticed a fuel can and explosive canister, picked up the can and poured fuel the entire length of the doors, hit the canister which ignited the fuel and blew out a window which allowed the zombies to walk straight in to my pre-made Inferno... no more zombies.😂

f45d5034-6d05-4f15-a24f-ee40f5985b2b.png

I've also just picked a perk for a pipe bomb... which is hilarious.

Anyway, I like this game, admittedly I've only put around 5 or 6 hours in so far so we'll have to see if it can hold my attention but it's off to a good start.

Spoiler

2a52eead-597c-49ec-9b28-3163472b89ab.png62f1946d-18ce-4a8c-947e-fd2c4d754eba.png20781398-ce12-4ace-bf6e-c962058c162a.png

Well there's a lot of weapons with different stats... you can actually pay to raise any weapon that you like to level up with you and for repairs so there's nothing really stopping you sticking with what you have... except money.

I’ve started this myself now (as Amy) and it’s exactly how I remember DI being, which to say is a lot of silly fun. I must say I’ve died a few times already. But the restart is pretty much exactly where you died and super fast load times.

There’s no options for graphics or performance. But it looks good. The flesh system really is a game changer. 

Just finished the campaign, this was far better than it's troubled development should of allowed for... and I had a load of fun with it.

I'll be clear in that the game doesn't change through it's entire run time and if you don't like hitting zombies with various blunt or sharp objects the game will do nothing to change that but for me that's all I wanted, to be put in to stupid situations and to knock the shit out of the zeds.

The game never really faultered in it's performance either... that might be down to it not being a true open world, it's set up more like wide open levels that you can end up fast travelling between which also helps out in making things look a little more diverse.

Anyway, I have some post game side quests to finish up and I may also try the multiplayer side of it now.... this was a pleasant surprise.

ed30c8d0-857b-4f3a-bf6c-a494f32599e0.png

c73765e2-6942-4f87-8b97-4163a2ef6944.png

7c096737-6c7f-44fe-9ce7-650c83d62d4a.png

1000g/1000g

b31ec4bd-8b5a-49c3-9ab0-b1b43fbf7ba8.png

Just looked on the store and there's an expansion pass for £24.99 that mentions 2 new chapters... I'll very likely bite on that in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is bloody brilliant. I’ve only ever finished the first game, never really got into Riptide, and both Dying Light games didn’t interest me. But I’m having a great time with this. Smacking zombies with a bo staff till their jaws explode never gets old. Nor does setting up a massive pool of fire/acid/electricity, and making a horde walk through it to their deaths. 

Lovely stuff.

Finished the campaign after 20 hours. Bloody hell, this is just so much fun. There were some sections that were a bit difficult in solo, the last boss was a pain in the arse. But this is awesome. I’ll definitely be having a crack at the side missions, I did a few during my playthrough, but plenty more still to do. 

This will certainly be one of my favourite games of 2023. 

• 10 months later...

I started this last night in search of a palette cleanser kind of game and was pleasantly surprised by it.

On the one hand it is what I thought it would be. It’s the most Xbox 360, 420 bro, yo that guys head came off do it again, dumb game I thought it would be. But the acknowledgement and self awareness while embracing its dumb concept is handled with surprising balance. I think what makes it work is the characters are well written stereotypes. So they are what you think while every now and then dropping a realistic and well acted like that gives them the extra shade that they need to be fun

I think what helps sell them as well is not just good writing and VA but they look great as well. They’re not like Naughtdog level characters or something but again, just surprisingly high quality.

Never once did I fire up Dead Island 2 and think the thing which would hit me first is how it’s all presented

In terms of gameplay, it’s first person melee, which again to my surprise, I don’t hate. I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed first person melee. At best it’s serviceable. And I don’t think this is great. But you can run and drop kick zombies and there’s some simple environmental usage which helps mix up the bash, bash, bash nature of it.

I only played it for about 2 hours, so I will see how long the gameplay lasts before I get bored of it. 

But between low expectations and a game I put on because it’s free and I didn’t want to think/try too hard. It’s much better than I thought it would be and I was legit having fun