passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Metroid Prime Remaster

spatular

19 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

I'm an upgrade further on that you I think. I'm at the point where I'm using a guide and I reckon if I just sat and played it I could finish it, but, though no fault of the game, I'm finding it hard to keep concentrated on it

We may be at around about the same point now then, I picked up the Gravity Suit in Wednesday nights' session. Since then I've just done some more exploring and found a couple more Artifacts and another Missile Upgrade, the next ? has just popped up on my map though but I haven't headed there yet. Like before, I assume it's a boss or another upgrade. 

Not sure how much longer I've got left now myself, the zones I've already unlocked seem well fleshed out already with only a few possible routes left unexplored due to upgrades I don't have yet. But yeah, we'll see how it goes, think I'm about 16 hours in right now.

• 1 month later...

I'm closing in on the end of this, and it's become a bit of a trudge. I've beaten the Omega Pirate but now I have to hunt down the Chozo artifacts, turns out I missed one I should have got already too. This means more plodding through the map, which has genuinely been sending me to sleep 

I think the problem with it is kind of inherent to it being 3d. Compare it to a Castlevania game, where you retread old ground more often than in Metroid Prime. Castlevania moves quicker. The skills you unlock are as much used to get you through areas quicker as combat or unlock progression, you can race through areas. You're also physically stronger and more resistant, if an enemy gets in your way revisiting an area you can probably 1 hit it 

If anything, in Metroid, areas get tougher on revisits, certainly other than familiarity they don't get easier 

Probably my penultimate post on this, as I'm approaching the end. I'm currently hunting Artifacts, which is a bit of a pain. I'm just sat with a guide picking an area, seeing which ones are in that area, which ones I haven't already got, then just heading over there. 

A couple of them are quite creative as to how to get them, but how you'd know without a guide I've no idea (there's one that requires a hidden room, destroying some blocks, melting a window, scanning an out of bounds object, then hitting it with missiles to even get the chance to collect it). It's been relatively painless so far, I've got 5 left to get, then I'm back to whatever the main game is 

As mentioned previously I always found the logbook information sufficient. There's one artefact in the mines that can be annoying to get for two reasons, as the room it's in partially shares its name with another one, so the directions aren't quite clear. And it's also tucked away so far into the mines that you're basically supposed to get it during your first run through, otherwise it's a very time-consuming trek back.

I agree that this part of the game is hardly a highlight but I will say that in subsequent playthroughs I've always had half if not more of the artefacts already by the time you need to collect them and getting to other half usually coincides with my desire to collect a few remaining upgrades.

I can remember my first play through being around 25 hours and every time I played it since I was doing it in 8 so while not all of that difference was looking for artifacts as there's plenty of ways to get lost a chunk of it was trying all kinds of things and places trying to get them the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished this last week, I'm glad I finally did, it's still a good game, it just needs some better QOL 

I assumed, because I got a lot of the energy cannisters and missile upgrades, that the last couple of bosses wouldn't be too bad, but they both took repeated attempts. Ridley I burnt through my missiles first time, 2nd time somehow did much worse, took 4 attempts all in all. The final boss wasn't as bad, but if you die you have to do its first stage again. 

Either way, for the most part this still holds up