passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 4 Remake

DANGERMAN

The interesting thing about the controls is people make it out like the old game is hard to play cause of tank controls. But imo the new one is much more hard to get to grips with, cause of Leon's weird kind of movement. At the end of the day tho they operate by the same basic ethos, create space and take your shots. The diff in remake is you have to be constantly moving, and they adjust the aggression of the ganado to keep up with your more intricate and blended movement options. But in actuality, you're doing the same thing you were always doing, getting away and making yourself safe enough to shoot.

The cool thing about the difficulty levels in this game IMO is that the AI is different on all of them. It sometimes feels like you're being chased by Nemesis on pro. It's really worth going into the difficulty levels if you want to feel how the more dangerous enemies change your approach and shift the focus from reactive gameplay (knife parry/block) to more proactive (running away and creating space, parry is a last resort)

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

What are your feelings on it then?

I think it's probably the most I've been into a TPS since the actual RE4. The way professional handles combat and player mistakes took some getting used to, but I got into it big time when I figured it out. Definitely had my fill with it now though.

After 1 and a half runs I feel pretty bored of it... the remakes of 2 & 3 changed up the games massively (for better or worse) making them for all intents and purposes new games... this just feels like a rerun to me and to be fair nowadays I'm not Resi 4's biggest fan in any case.

Disappointed is probably my biggest feeling.

• 3 months later...

After finishing up Aliens and FF I've gone back to this... I was attempting a no heal/handgun and knife only run but by abouts two thirds in to the castle I was having to rely on regenerating health and it was getting annoying. Decided to start using health items, which I had tonnes of by then, and just brute forced my way to the end. I could afford the Unlimited Rocket Launcher by then.😁

So now it's a Professional run with the aid of lots and lots of explosions... trying for under eight hours too which should be fairly easy... I've just entered the castle at 1.45. It's just a case of being a little careful around Ashley.

I've also dabbled with Mercenaries... I was never really in to score attack modes and this is no different, I've done enough to unlock the Handcannon which was painless enough but it feels off to play compared to the main campaign almost as if it's slower or heavier.

I've kind've clicked with the game a little more over the past few days... enough that it's jumped a couple places in my 2023 games list.

• 1 month later...

I dunno if I have it in me to S+ rank this one as well, I liked RE4 so much I S+-ed it twice. But Ada is kinda boring.

I do like how the VR version looks, I think it will be an excellent game for that system especially with the way you can crouch to low profile attacks and parry stuff with your knife. But I've lost interest in getting PSVR2. Sorry Sony, should have announced more stuff for it

Also, "think you can swallow me whole, huh" is a very weird line read without the context

Looking at this, seems like a lot of the 'cut content' from the main game is being transplanted into Separate Ways (laser hallway). Which seems like a good idea, cause the main game had enough stuff in it already whereas the original Separate Ways was, well, kind of rubbish tbh. This looks better

But right next to Cyberpunk 2.0 and SF6 Aki, and a work trip coming up, will give it a pass for the time being

• 2 months later...

Started Separate Ways, using the oled instead of the monitor. This has the worst HDR implementation I've ever seen. So much black crush. Back to SDR. I'm sorry I said anything bad about how washed out Starfield looked!

Apparently the DLC is worse than the main game for this? According to reddit anyway. Looks dogshit anyway

If the DLC is good I'll try and do the S+ Pro run on a fresh save with this as well. It was really fun optimising the run for Leon that I ended up doing it twice with no cheesy post-game weapons like the handcannon and stuff

• 1 month later...

Managed to make it to chapter 6 which is exactly where I got to last time before falling off. I didn't fall off for any real reason just never came back to it, but kind of really enjoying it this time so want to stick with it. 

The horde house is still brutal, though. Not only did it take me 2 attempts, but I've done this before where it took me many more attempts than 2, and I've watched someone play this on their first go and survive the whole thing without even going up stairs. So with all that experience and seeing how it should be done I still suck ass. This game really difficult. 

However the action is just so satisfying. I don't if this ranks as best shotgun but definitely best shotgun splat. Just fucking fun, dude. I'm also using the knife a lot more this playthrough. I always knew it would be a big deal but until seeing oh, use it all the time, and double oh, there's always loads of them don't be precious about it, it really is a great defence weapon. 

The other thing I've learned on this playthrough is to go against usual habit of reload after every kill/shot. Reloading takes forever and a lot of the time gets me caught short. So really only reload when there's space not just all the time.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is the sprinting. I can never remember when you have to press it again after an action or not. I think sometimes I press it again and Leon stops, and sometimes I don't press it thinking he'll keep running after whatever I'm doing but he just walks. It's weird.