passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 4 Remake

DANGERMAN

8 minutes ago, Nag said:

And done...

I ended up enjoying it a lot, funnily I found the castle and island to be better than the village this time round... the island especially is much improved on the original with what was removed definitely not being missed and the main battles being reworked for the better.

We're definitely hitting the point now with diminishing returns in terms of remakes though, it obviously doesn't have the impact that the remakes of 2 and 3 did with those being complete reworks of the games that came before... and it has to be said that I still prefer those games over this... guess I just like garden variety zombies more.

So.... Resident Evil 5 next?.... would Capcom even want to court that controversy again?

They probably won't stop doing the remakes I'd say until it no longer makes economic sense, that's been their approach with RE to this point. Iterate a formula until it wears off. 

5 is a weird one though. Its co-op both damns and saves it. It's one of the best co-op shooters of its time imo, but it makes the single player experience far worse. Even with improved AI I can't see that changing. Still, the combat mechanics and encounter design here in 4 is dynamic and interesting enough that it'd be a missed opportunity to not do more things with it. But I would prefer 1 or CV, and for them to match the style and gameplay of 2 remake. Zero frills, just disempowered characters fighting zombies in tight spaces.

I am up to 1hr 24 minutes in my pro s+ run, 4 saves, I am after the cabin. Going to clear out chainsaw sisters, mendez, catapults and blind boy before my next save once I figure out optimisation. Chainsaw is the difficult part there, I want to kite the enemies in a way that piercing shots can kill them quick (also the sisters can do friendly dmg, something to consider)

I'd say out of the three games mentioned I'd want a CV remake most but (for some reason) it seems to be treated as such a black sheep of the series I don't have much faith in it happening. Can't see them going back to the original game now either so I guess in all likelihood 5 is next... maybe.

Get rid of the shitty item management and Zero could do with one.🙂

I don't think it would be too difficult for them to remake any of the previous 1st person RE games, the Dead Aim games or Chronicles series, using the RE7/8 engine?

REmake-REmake 1 is nonsensical. CV and I'd even say RE6 would benefit most from a REmake (not that I would condone remaking a game from 11 years ago). There is a lot to fix in the latter and significant QoL changes in the former. RE0, I dunno. I didn't play too much of it and wasn't overly impressed by what I did play. Seemed unnecessary and completely contradicts Rebecca's entire characterisation in RE1.

I genuinely don’t see CV getting remade. And I’m fine with that, as in the grand scheme of things, it wasn’t brilliant. It had its moments, don’t get me wrong. But what impact did it leave on the franchise? Not much, really. Seeing Chris and Wesker fight was decent enough. But Steve, creaming his jeans over Claire, was just cringeworthy, even back in the day. 

It’s not like 2, 3 or 4, where a graphical upgrade was pretty much all what was needed. It’d take far more time, and effort to bring CV back. And I don’t really think it’s worth it. 

Resi 6 was absolute wank, from start to finish. God-awful story. Full of bullshit QTEs. And it went on for bloody ageeeeeeeees. Fuck Resi 6. Leave it in the ground, where it belongs.

45 minutes ago, AndyKurosaki said:

It’s not like 2, 3 or 4, where a graphical upgrade was pretty much all what was needed. It’d take far more time, and effort to bring CV back. And I don’t really think it’s worth it. 

RE1_screen.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

You're also describing RE1. They needed to do a lot more with the original than pretty up the graphics. That was the point of the REmakes. Not just a fresh coat of paint. But a grassroots overhaul. REmake 1, you can pick up and play. RE 1(1996), you can't. You need to get used to the (tank) controls. The geometry of the level design. The wonky AI and hitboxes. Which was the ethos behind doing this in the first place: renewed accessibility.

That can easily be applied to CV, to bring out the best of it. Besides, not every RE fan circle jerks to Leon and Chris...

2 hours ago, AndyKurosaki said:

It’s not like 2, 3 or 4, where a graphical upgrade was pretty much all what was needed

That's definitely not what happened with 2 & 3.

Yeah, defo not.

2hr 20 minutes and I'm on chapter 9, 6 saves. Don't know if this is good or not. Again, comparing with online runs makes me feel inadequate.

image.png

I was really smooth in the water room, Punisher destroyed those fools and I'm getting good at crouching and taking cover and popping out to shoot snipers. That room is really fun. The wine room was a quick in and out

But the battlements with the armored cunt? A fucking disaster. All my healing gone and hardly any ammo left, big time wastage. I cleared it first try though, it was just a very shit try that just about got over the line. Bad enough I might watch other playthroughs and consider re-optimising cause it really was a load of shit, otherwise it's onto maze doggos

edit went back and cut 3:30 off of it, that'll do

I did the village section on Mercs this morning. I liked it as a mode in the original but it's not something looking to spend time on this game. Largely that, while I don't feel entirely done with the game, I think I'm done with it. I started a 2nd run, but I'm not sure I really fancy it. It's a good game, I don't want to run my memories in to the ground, maybe I'll chip away as and when 

On the topic of a 2nd run, I was playing it last night and caught something in my periphery that freaked me out

I'm pretty sure it's the guy from the cabin and he's spawned in the wrong place so is legging it back to his proper position, but seeing a shadowy figure moving at twice the speed of anyone else threw me

48 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Mercs is out

Missing Ada and Wesker apparently... and only 3 stages. Although you can unlock the Handcannon through Mercs from all accounts.

My next run through this will be a handgun and knife only run without using healing items on Assisted NG+... when I can be bothered.

3 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

On the topic of a 2nd run

I see the Killer 7 there, good choice! Glad to see it made it into the REmake. Just as OP as it was?

If you're going for a handgun run you really got to try out an upgraded Punisher, it's so good in this. This is on professional mode, cuts through groups like butter

edit youtube murders the black levels, oh well. 

When I do handgun I think I'll go with it again and level the default, which gets the high crit rate again with the exclusive I think. Have that as my backup for single targets

I'm not sure of the Red 9 in this, it looks really slow. Blacktail continues to not exist afaic.

No laser sight... but the crosshair shrinks fast enough, I use it mostly as it only takes 4 spaces in the case and like I said upgraded it packs a punch. My firing rate isn't fully upgraded yet but that's not really my playstyle anyway... I try to pick shots (maybe to my own detriment tbf)

The crosshair shrinking stuff is an odd thing in this game I feel like. It makes sense in 2 remake with the shambling enemies, but with the aggressiveness in this I basically never wait for it to shrink. It's never a good idea on HC/Pro

Feels like a case of keeping legacy mechanics around for the sake of it, imo anyway. Tho tbf I've mostly avoided using the weapons where it is a thing so it's maybe just preference talking here

I'm thinking that the Punisher will come in very handy at some point so my mind is still open to give that a go... can't stand the Red 9 in this version.

Stuck with the Riot Gun for shotty and Stingray for Sniper... I used the Bowgun until I'd ran out of explosive bolts and stashed it forever afterwards.

Finally in a position where I’ve got my SX set back up so made a start on this. Holy shitballs I’m getting battered! I’m only up to chapter 2 on the rickety bridges and must have died 5 times. Think I’m going to drop it down, not in mood for this to be a Dark Souls style experience. Always preferred the exploration side of Resi games to the combat. 

Apart from that it looks gorgeous. For the most part. & for my complaint about the difficulty I do appreciate how it makes you use the full environment to best the bad dudes. Got to say it’s not immediately grabbing me like I hoped it would though. Still very early though and im sure I’ll like it more as I go on and after dropping difficulty.