passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 4 Remake

DANGERMAN

Achievement/trophy lists have also started popping up for it now, from what I've seen it kind've points to Separate Ways not being there... I'd be amazed if that didn't pop up as paid for dlc at some point. No idea if Assignment Ada is included or not either.

• 2 weeks later...

Up to chapter 5 in this now.

I think this game is excellent. It doesn't quite have the impact of the original, and tbh it doesn't even have the impact of RE2 remake for me personally. It's very good though, it's hard to fault it outside of the way it controls at times, which tbh is a major problem. I tried but could not get the aiming to feel good on controller, and I just played through a bit of OG re4 earlier in the week so I dunno what's going on here. On keyboard and mouse it's mostly fine though, sometimes I get caught out by how much animation Leon has and how delayed inputs can feel cause of it, but eventually you do adjust and it's alright I think.

The contextual ducking move and the knife moves are the lynchpin of Leon's approach. It's not as easy to manage space and enemies in this as it is in the original game, the combat encounter design is way more aggressive and designed to trap you in corners a lot. In RE4 OG, you had to avoid getting trapped in the corner, but in Remake you are going to be in that situation whether you like it or not. So get those knife upgrades. I'm using the Punisher instead of the Red 9 this time, cause I reckon that the Punisher will be really good in this game with strafing. It was good in the VR version for that reason. It's long been considered the worst weapon in RE4 but I bet that changes in this game.

I'm playing on hardcore and so far I'd say it's one of the harder REs, maybe behind something like Code Veronica but it's a different type of difficulty here. It's a bit overwhelming at times. Sometimes I just accept that I'm in a shit situation and just reload cause if you don't have the right tools sometimes there's no real answer to the mobs of bullshit that's trying to kill you.

In terms of what it does with RE's level and encounter design, it's like a lot of familiar stuff remixed a bit. Literally in the sense that you might enter through the exit this time, or there's a bit more that wasn't there before. Or this other bit got cut out. It's a bit creepier than before, though not exactly scary. 

This was the best bit so far, I think. Chapter 5 spoilers

Spoiler

Anyway I think it's great, as far as re-imagining RE4 as a modern AAA game it mostly nails the things that it should

13 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I'm playing on hardcore

You're a braver man than me, I'm somewhere in chapter 3 and it's been pretty brutal in places... I think there would've been some proper tantrums from me if I'd gone Hardcore as a first playthrough.😂

I've enjoyed what I've played so far but I'll come right out and say it... it's not wowed me as much as I thought it would, I don't know if it's because of how happy I was with the Dead Space remake and how good that looked or something but I'd say there's a fair gap between the two and it has to be the last gen version that caused that.

So far story beats have lined up fairly much how I'd expect (apart from something happening to Leon a little earlier than I remember)... hopefully it click more with a little more time... and a lot more weapons.

I’m definitely with Nag on this one. Dead Space set the bar extremely high this year. 
Reached the Castle section, I’m definitely enjoying the game. But it doesn’t feel quite as much a revelation as the RE2 Remake did. That doesn’t mean this is a disappointment, far from it. It looks fantastic, the combat is satisfying. There’s certainly been a fair few “wasn’t expecting that” moments already, having played the original on multiple formats over the years, I’m pretty familiar with it. 

It’s definitely a good thing that they’re adding the Mercs mode as a free update. That being said, the original RE4 is probably the last time I put a significant amount in that mode, trying to do the various unlocks. 

So yeah, it’s bloody good. 

I think my feeling is that it's very hard to make an outstanding remake out of Resident Evil 4, which was an outstanding game in the context of the time that it released in. It's all a big Gus Van Sant Psycho about it. It's very good but I feel it mostly just reflects how good its original was.

I hope they do RE1 or CV next, because that will let them go a bit more ham. This is as you'd expect, nothing more or less imo

Yeah, I’d much rather they give Dino Crisis some love. I’m not interested in Code Veronica.

Back in the day, it was decent enough. But looking back on it, it has some significant flaws. Mostly the story being a bit shite. I mean, does anyone really want to see Steve again? Fangirling hard over Claire, and generally being a bit of a tool. Or Alfred Ashford mincing about, which would go down like a lead balloon these days. 
Or having to redo the first section all over again, when Chris is looking for Claire.

Honestly, it’s not as bad as Resi 6. But I personally don’t get the fan demand for it being remade. They’d have to do the entire thing from the ground up really, and that would take a lot of effort. For a story that really doesn’t add much to the general canon. 

So yeah. Fuck that. Do Dino Crisis instead Capcom.

8 hours ago, AndyKurosaki said:

But looking back on it, it has some significant flaws.

That's the point. The whole idea of the REmakes was to update the original games on better hardware. They didn't just slap new graphics on RE1 and re-release it. Because that wouldn't have worked. Note: the story and dialogue of RE 1 (and 2) was poorly acted and/or shite. Remaking RE4 was low hanging fruit. The easiest cash cow Capcom had. By renown alone, it was always going to make big money and an inhouse team were never going to produce a bad remake of that in a million years. Code Veronica, in contrast, would have required them to put effort into the remake. More than just QoL, latter-game pacing, Steve etc That's why they opted for the path of least resistance first. Claire's solo adventure, adhering to the original REmake ethos, deserved that update. Leon's didn't.

11 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I hope they do RE1 or CV next,

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952ea015yakze1bxv2luxe

There is no need to remake REmake 1? Where does that trail of thought end?? Why not just remake RE8? Except when you open the case, instead of a disc, a hand comes out and strikes you across the face repeatedly until people stop asking for unnecessary remakes.

10 hours ago, Nag said:

revisit Dino Crisis, they'd be fools not to.

You know why they don't. 

Dinocrisis3box.jpg

By the same token, when people taking about "bringing back Dino Crisis", they omit referring to it as a series. Strictly talking about the first game. Again, why Capcom won't.

9 minutes ago, OCH said:

they omit referring to it as a series

Do they?... just because it's not being name checked doesn't mean people don't realise it's a series, the second game is actually the best one... and why would anyone want them to revisit the franchise starting with the second game anyways?

As for Dino Crisis 3 by your own train of thought with Code Veronica remake it from the ground up... sorted.👍

3 minutes ago, Nag said:

just because it's not being name checked doesn't mean people don't realise it's a series

It's not that people don't realise it is a series (only fans even know Dino Crisis is a thing, after all). It is they don't want the series.

4 minutes ago, Nag said:

As for Dino Crisis 3 by your own train of thought with Code Veronica remake it from the ground up... sorted.👍

The difference between them, is DC 3 killed that franchise. CV didn't. From the ground up remake would still leave you with Dinosaur-hybrids in space, on some level. IE the same problems.

24 minutes ago, OCH said:

It is they don't want the series

Kind've seems your jumping to conclusions there, like I've said people would most likely want them to start with the first game and then move on to the next... why would anyone be asking for a Dino Crisis 2 remake when there's no indication that the first games getting done.

As for Dino Crisis 3, tbf I never actually played that game (and I'd be fucking amazed if you did either 🤣) but I'm sure they could come up with a fun game given a second chance.

And as this is massively off topic I'm gonna shut up now.😀

No conclusions. Based on what I've read online. Much like Dead Space and RE, people are very selective about which games they want to see again. No one is asking to remake RE: Dead Aim, for example. Although with the RE7/8 engine, it would seem a no brainer?

My cousin had an OG X-Box (and the game). There was an early point wherein I did dip my toe outside of Sony and Nintendo. It plays like a lesser version of something like Vanquish or Binary Domain. Not Survival Horror in the slightest. Sad to see a series run out of steam/ideas only three games in.

I think I'll go back to RE8, now I finished up with Mario Land. I was reluctant to finish RE4 back in 2005. A fresh coat of paint doesn't take away from that initial disdain.

Good thread about all that stuff here, lol. 

I think I'm midway through the castle, it's much more different than the village (by which I mean more different than the gamecube version was for the village) and it feels like they cut a lot more out of it as well, but they seem to be mostly smart cuts as far as I can see.

yeah, it's obviously a good looking game in a lot of respects, but it's also very much not in others. The foliage can look really grainy, apparently this is a PS5 issue more than other platforms though. I'm also not sure the HDR is working like it should be, a lot of the greys look really washed out to me, and walking from a lit area to a dark area can sometimes have a noticeable snap as the game loads in the new colour scheme, like it's not using HDR and you're just crossing a threshold to "be in" the new environment

As a game though, the small changes they've made really work to set you on edge. I've not played RE4 a million times, but I played it through a couple of times (at least) on the Game Cube and a couple more on the Wii, it stopped offering a threat, that's not true here. In some ways that's a bit irritating. The knife being able to break I don't like, it means you can't use it to conserve ammo because it is also something that needs to be conserved. I also don't like that you can fundementally clear an area, more enemies appear, then some start to appear from behind you. All that conserved health and ammo you had from playing carefully has gone, and it's not as liberal about dropping it as I'd like

Also the bolt cutter seems to only let you recover the bolts if you miss? I've had it for a few encounters, I've had 1 bolt for it since I shot some crows at outside the church 

As a positive, there was a moment that did properly make me jump

Spoiler

After the first village section I was picking up items. I went in the house that's a bit of a trap anyway, you can jump through the window and there's a family in there. They've all gone to church now so not a problem.

I jumped through the window, picked up some ammo, wandered over to some drawers, and a villager burst out of the wardrobe at me. Made me lump and laugh. But then made me think, the fuck was he doing in there? The bells gone, he's supposed to be at church, why would he hide in there?

I will say I think the knife starts to pay for itself after a point, once it's fully upgraded and implemented into your offense but even before that as well. I wasn't sure at first but I think it's maybe still one of the most economical ways of dealing with things, but only when it's integrated into other bits of your kit (guns, bolts and melee)

It's tricky to work out tho, Leon animates very heavily in this game and you can't quickly cancel from stabby stab into parry parry. Sometimes I press a button and he does nothing, because he's doing all these interstitial animations. I'm finding tho a few stabs and a bolt to the head is a very effective way of killing things on hardcore mode while only 'spending' knife damage. A few stabs, a gun/bolt shot and you get the melee trigger. In fact I think you would be completely lost if you didn't bring the bolt thrower with you on hardcore, they don't actually give you enough bullets to kill everything it feels like. Knife and bolts are essential here, which is fun imo

The enemies feel like they maybe only have one or two routines they cycle through, even on the castle, which have a very basic RPS response. Sweep move (evade), overhead (evade, or sometimes parry, it depends on the enemy), swing back and strike (parry), grab you (alt-f4) Once you get it down it's sort of an easily predictable routine, like the original game, but they do swarm at you a lot in this and I think the game maybe cheats with how it spawns in enemies. It doesn't hide the spawn triggers as well as the GC game

edit bolts should recover on hit also, tho I've lost one or two of them. Maybe they break randomly, I'm not sure, but 90 percent of them I've recycled

Spoiler
1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

and a villager burst out of the closet at me. Made me lump and laugh. But then made me think, the fuck was he doing in there? The bells gone, he's supposed to be at church, why would he hide in there?

Edit for Context 😉

I'm 9 hours in now and I've literally just hit the castle... that's my speed run over then.🤣

I'm starting to enjoy my time with it more now although the cabin siege did annoy and I racked up three or four deaths there... enjoyed the El Gigante and Bitores Mendez fights quite a bit too. Ashley can be a bit annoying in regards to thrown flames and cannonballs though.

I bought the deluxe version of the game and thought the map was showing me all of the treasures already so didn't bother trading the merchant for his map... turns out it was showing extra treasures and I've missed loads in the village... doh!

Yeah some of the Ashley combat sections have been a bit annoying. I tell her to keep close, she gets battered. I tell to keep her distance, she runs into attacks. 
It’s also annoying when she has to do something, leading to you having to protect her, and yourself. Though thankfully those sections are few and far between. 

At Chapter 15, after that it’s the final one. 15 hours in, and I’ve been taking my time doing most of the Merchant requests/ treasure hunting.

Beat it last night. I expected to go to bed at a reasonable hour but there were some expansions on the island I didn't expect.

image.png

I'm sort of mixed on it. First things first, it's an excellent game. 9/10. A lot of that is owing to how super fucking solid the framework of RE4 is still today. They make some clever cuts and abbreviations on certain bits of the game that definitely don't rank up there as the most memorable parts of the GC version. The insertions of original set pieces and encounters feel cohesive with what's already there. It's a very.... respectful (?) update to the classic. It feels like a lot of those decisions were well considered. There's nothing I can really point to and say 'that really didn't work'. Well, ok the bosses annoyed me and the sidequests were a poor addition. Those are nitpicks tho

It's still very familiar feeling tho, it's not this revelatory thing that the original was. I ended up feeling slightly underwhelmed with it, but maybe that's due to how I shotgunned so much of it. I don't know. I saw someone say the village section feels a bit like a cover version of the original, which I agree with. It just feels like it's going through the motions a bit, and a lot of that is due to constant RE4 playthroughs over the years. It's just hard to not feel a bit bored with it. I think the castle here is maybe better than the OG castle tho, they cut a lot and add a good few new things. It's shorter, but a more coherent stage all told. It probably has my favorite mix of combat encounters out of the three stages, the cultists are the most interesting enemies to interact with I think.

The island is ever so slightly expanded, I still don't love the island but I was a bit fatigued getting here so I think some of that is on me. It still feels a lot like an overly long final dungeon with a horror bit thrown into the mix. It's improved quite a bit by the expanded mechanics tho. I think the stealth kill is a great new option to have on hardcore when you are counting those bullets. Some interactions with enemies still mystify me though, like what exactly they expect players to do about grabs. It feels like a fighting game grab, just don't get grabbed I guess. There's definitely some noticeable AI quirks tho where you can tell they want to grab you, they tend to push you first or look like they are slowly thinking about it by walking up a bit first. But yeah, an extremely prevalent mechanic which doesn't have an obvious answer here I think. I also struggled to figure out the audio cues for when ganados are behind you (Detrás de ti imbecil!)

Sounds negative but I really did like the game a lot, but they remade one of the greatest games of all time here. It's just hard to not feel slightly deflated by it, the main thing it brings to the table is knife combat (which is great tbf). Not decided now if I should do professional mode on NG or NG+. I like having all the guns to play with, but the combat encounters in village aren't designed for a walking arsenal so some of the fun is lost there. On the flipside, professional mode with a low durability knife where you can only perfect parry or take damage sounds frustrating and also not really what I'm looking for.