passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 4 Remake

DANGERMAN

Series S. it’s good as a bedroom/secondary console but it’s definitely compromised. Plus I bought this on disc to save money and sell on so obviously couldn’t play it on the S. 

I dropped the difficulty down last night and reached Ashley now. Enjoying it a lot more now I’m not being constantly battered. Although it’s another game where it could do with a difficulty between normal and easy. Normal I wasn’t enjoying it but easy is far too easy that it becomes a joke. Had to turn off aim assist too as that was far too intrusive. 

2 hours ago, mfnick said:

Series S.

😂... I meant what difficulty did you start out at.👍

5 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

bunch of sliders to make different things difficult and different

You might get something out of State of Decay 2... maybe.

Standard then... guess you're on Assisted now then.

I started an Assisted run earlier... enemies go down in one or two shots from my upgraded Blacktail... and I'm saving up spinals for that upgrade ticket so my Primal Knife is unbreakable.

I've also realised I'm probably going to have to try knifing that Regenerator to death... joy.

Got to the top of the clocktower on chapter 12 with 8 handgun bullets to my name, and a golden egg.

Thank god I have this egg, it is my everything.

3hrs 48 minutes, hopefully these next few chapters can squeeze in under 5:30. I have save backups if not, but that will be a faff. It's getting to the very action-ey bits, also have no clue how to quickly deal with the regenerators, struggled a lot the first time with them.

23 hours ago, mfnick said:

Series S. it’s good as a bedroom/secondary console but it’s definitely compromised. Plus I bought this on disc to save money and sell on so obviously couldn’t play it on the S. 

I dropped the difficulty down last night and reached Ashley now. Enjoying it a lot more now I’m not being constantly battered. Although it’s another game where it could do with a difficulty between normal and easy. Normal I wasn’t enjoying it but easy is far too easy that it becomes a joke. Had to turn off aim assist too as that was far too intrusive. 

I wish the difficulty was consistent. The adaptive difficulty is fine in theory, meaning you shouldn't ever have to start over again or load an hours old save because you've fucked yourself. However, it does mean whenever you're comfortable the game ramps things up. Even on my 2nd play through my handgun ammo is vanishing despite using a maxed out Red9

My first playthrough I didn't craft handgun ammo once... this time through that's all I'm allowed to create, I know the island went ridiculous with gunpowder drops and then was stingy as fuck with small resources so that'll be interesting.

I'll probably have to switch up charms and cases.

I've generally found the ammo delivery to be decent, in that it's never brought me down to absolute zero. That bit I mentioned with the 8 handgun rounds (and a grenade I forgot to mention) is the closest it's ever brought me. Which tbh was pretty thrilling

In spots with a potential for actual soft locks (water room with Ashley), I think it spawns ammo when you aren't looking. Tbf I haven't confirmed that, I just think it might have happened to me there and in the cabin

I think they probably use more or less the same logic across difficulties with drops, it doesn't seem more or less generous between them. Probably gunpowder is accounted for as well

3 hours ago, Nag said:

Good going, I've definitely not got the patience for that.

I'm thinking to myself it's only really Hitman and Valkyria Chronicles wherein I go out of my way to achieve the best rank. I don't think I ever have with RE?

As for this game, RE8 has reinvigorated the bug a little. But the sour note I have for the original means I likely won't consider REmake 4 until a sale.

I went for all the s ranks on every mission in dmc5, but that was really boring cause it didn't actually encourage interesting ways to play the game. Literally the exact opposite in fact, to play the game in boring, cheap and repetitive ways with no real style at all.

This is the opposite. I really enjoyed figuring out solutions. it's a lot of rushing into rooms, shooting enemies for melee and defusing the situation. Or lining things up with piercing shots. Or sneaking around with stealth kills and running away as fast as possible. Shooting dynamite out of enemies hands to blow a lot of them up at once, or taking the chance on a perfect parry for a space clearing kick. Selling a ton of spinels to buy gunpowder to craft flash grenades to rush through a room full of bugs, cause handgun ammo was so scarce (flashes disable the bugs for a really really long time, and they can be stabbed to death during). Using basically every mechanic and system to your advantage, as well as the level design. It's built with this style of gameplay in mind, imo. I might do it again some point in the future, but try and do all the sidequests along the way as well or something like that

11 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

it didn't actually encourage interesting ways to play the game.

VC is like that. The best rank is earned by reaching the goal of a given mission in as few turns as possible.

I remember classic RE had two real stipulations for top ranks: Number of saves and time. Which in it's way does encourage you to take risks and/or speedrun the game.

Using this tech for my next speed run, thanks

edit I'm on the water room on my handgun playthrough, and it takes a lot of money to upgrade the damage on the Red 9. Far more than Punisher which I have maxed out now along with the knife (very easy to quickly max them out on pro). Just for this alone I wonder if the gun is a bit of an investment trap

I have a charm that gives 100 percent resale, so I can swap it for blacktail anytime I want. But I figure I should try it out first. To me though it seems like a total rip off

• 2 weeks later...

Did another S+ run with the default handgun instead of Punisher and doing all the sidequests. Definitely done with this now, all Leon-ed out. There's lots of achievements I could unlock but frankly none of the other challenges interest me (beat the whole game without healing? ignore the merchant? yuck). Done unless they do that DLC, or PSVR2 version.

This was a close one. I think the duck move is more pivotal to the combat than the parry can be, at times. 

Great game, 2023 off to a good start. 

What are your feelings on it then?

I think it's probably the most I've been into a TPS since the actual RE4. The way professional handles combat and player mistakes took some getting used to, but I got into it big time when I figured it out. Definitely had my fill with it now though.

Got to say while I thought this was a really good game I didn’t think it was amazing and looking back I’m even less fond of it.

However I think some of that was my own fault. I wish I’d have stuck at it on normal difficulty. I really feel dropping the difficulty hurt the experience quite a bit. Trying to complete the it quickly to sell quickly to get my money back didn’t help either. 

Put it this way I’ve gone back to the original version now on my Xbox and so far I much prefer it. Once I got used to the awkward controls again I’ve been enjoying it a lot more. The campness and 80’s action movie style of it all is severely missing in the remake IMO too. Leon’s cheesy one liners & all the slow motion action scenes are just fucking amazing. 

I’ll give this another shot when it’s cheap though and will stay on normal difficulty next time.