passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Resident Evil 4 Remake

DANGERMAN

The Demo is out now, possibly the first of two if past Resident Evil games are anything to go off.

Based on the demo it's pretty faithful to how the original starts, playing up to the village fight before it ends. The opening moments are expanded and they've developed the combat a little. you can stealth a little now, the knife is a button press, there's opportunities to shoot then melee in a more deliberate way than it felt in the original. There's dodging and parrying, and when enemies are downed you can finish them off, which you need to do and I've had a couple change on me even this early in the game (this could be a demo thing)

There are a few changes, as said there's a expanded start with some more story telling played out, and some subversion of what you expect, which runs throughout the demo

My only issues so far, I don't like the aiming. I think by design it's easy to miss, but I'm not really a fan of how easy it is to miss even when you aren't being rushed.  I'm also not a huge fan of how it looks. That might be a common thing with the engine, assuming this is the same as the RE2 remake, because I thought that could look a little rough at points. I've played the performance mode, and it has loads of ghosting when you turn the camera, whenever there's movement, and just at certain points on any fine detail, so I'm not sure what reconstruction they're using but it's not working great (playing on PS5). I might have another run on the graphics mode to see, then I might even download the PC version

I heard about the game looking weird on consoles, I think it's cause of things like FSR and chromatic abberation maybe. Turning all that stuff off on PC I think it looks decent. Not amazing, definitely not next gen, but generally pretty good (a bit stuttery but not in a massively interfering way)

I do like how the game takes previous experience with RE4 and challenges it with things like increased enemy count, enemies which will flank and creep up on you and grab you for a guaranteed fatality from the chainsaw man. The village encounter is full of neat and unexpected tricks, whether those tricks will have much mileage in the main game remains to be seen. I like how the parry is a new space management tool and can open enemies up to melee, it's another plate to spin and to take that into account the increased enemy numbers are actually necessary. You will feel the pain if you try to play it like the old game, and you'll die and get chopped into pieces. 

The controls are a bit weird and Leon has a bit of an Arthur Morgan thing going on. Since RE2RE it feels like Capcom fell in love with animation blending, even DMC5 has it. This is the first time tho that I think it can get in the way. Leon animates like John Wick but because of that he doesn't snap into animations like he does in the gamecube original, everything has a bit of lead-in as he puts knife away and brings out gun. So it feels a bit like they traded tank controls for swimmy controls. I actually don't mind it too much though and and willing to go along with the 'realism' in the context of it being a replacement for how the original stuck you to the floor, a different sort of limitation to take into consideration when doing stuff. At the same time, the aiming does feel quite crappy. Might go with mouse and keyboard

I took a video of playing through the onslaught. It's fun and intense, both this and the VR port brought me back to that original playthrough nearly 20 years ago, so thumbs up from me. Re4 will never not be a GOTY contender it feels like

Spoiler

There's a randomly accessible 'mad chainsaw mode' which I've tried to pass but it's really hard, you can get killed super fast, stunning enemies for melee is harder and more of them turn into those clicker things. There's a secret TMP you can get tho if you throw away all your equipment before entering the main village section, it's in the well at the back of near the church. Once you get it once, it remains in your equipment for all future playthroughs. Which would probably be handy for mad chainsaw

what are your specs @one-armed dwarf?

I tried it on PC, I've got an AMD 3700X and an RTX 3070Ti. I tried it with RT on and FSR2 at both balanced and performance, it doesn't run well, even though I'm playing at 1080p. Seems alright then I reach the house and it drops and never recovers in the interior. When you go outside, the area where you find the dog, the performance is awful. This same bit is really ugly on the PS5 too, so I'm guessing whatever is going on there is driving the resolution down. Thing is, dropping the resolution there for me did nothing

Then I tried it with RT off, everything else the same, and still wasn't getting 60 past the house. Really weird, I mean it looks nice on pc but I can't hear my card at all so it's not pushing that. I can only think it's a CPU issue, but even then it should run better with the RT off

Looking at the Steam forums it seems like a lot of people are having issues, and a lot of people are having crashes (I've had 1). It's a demo, there's still a couple of weeks, so presuming development is finished at this point we could see some meaningful improvement to performance

I swear though, every game I've tried since getting this card has ran badly 😅

edit: Checking temps, I think it might be the CPU running hot. I'll check the paste then maybe I need to buy a better cooler

I bought a 4090 and 7700x recently, I just thought 'fuck it' at the VRAM issues that were popping up with 8GB 3070 and went and did that whole ordeal. I feel like an asshole spending that kind of money which is why I never mentioned it in the purchases thread lol. Unfortunately it has not meant I can escape bad performing ports, tho RE4 is the first one in a while that's been unproblematic for me. Which makes me wonder if it's a VRAM thing (textures maybe). I haven't had any crashes at all, tho I've heard lots of reports of it also

Do you have msi afterburner with the overlay? That should definitely flag if it's a CPU thing. 

I played the demo just the once. It looks good as expected although Leon’s hair looks like and acts like Michael’s

The reason I only gave it the once over was that the village seems to have far more villages in it. I was able to pick off lady with the rake stealth style as usual but then in the home a villager walked in and from then on I was inundated with them without any means of defence or escape and cool down.

So I deleted it because it seemed they made it more difficult for the sake of it or pander to dark souls. If I can’t even have fun at the what was a fun early section before it ramps up I’m not interested or have the time for the later stages. 

Might be wrong. Could have been a one off freak invasion that escalated, but I don’t have time for this. 

I've a sneaky suspicion they made the demo harder on purpose, cause it's such a well loved section of gameplay, and maybe the full game version won't be as hard. It's definitely harder than the original anyway and it's possible to get yourself completely trapped in an all-sides omni-fuck of a situation, especially if you break the knife

eg, the house on the right near the chapel. It's a fucking trap

I wasn't going to bother with the demo as it's already pre-ordered but decided to download it and give it a try on Series X today anyway... came away pretty impressed tbf, it looks great, stuck it on resolution mode with ray tracing on and it seemed to hold up well enough. Had to play with some of the aiming settings as it starts off way too slow and I keep pressing the knife button when I want to actually run but that's on me.🤣

Didn't finish the demo though.... got a chainsaw through the back instead.

I had a pretty drastic framerate drop in the village fight on PS5 graphics mode. There was a lot going on tbf 

Last of the boring pc talk from me for now, but I've seemingly fixed the CPU issue I was having. I think it was a combination of the thermal paste drying out (exacerbated by me using compressed air to clean my computer when I added my new card I suspect), and the cooler being set to a low setting, I'm not sure why that's even a thing but here we are. 

It's gone from a resting temp of 80°c and 95°c when playing, which was severely throttling it. Now it's in the 40s when resting and mid to high 50s when playing. Maybe a little too early to celebrate but promising 

It's a lot harder than I remember, not that I've got much interest in playing it, unless it goes on gamepass and I can get it for a cheeky 8 nicker.

I count the original as one of the games that got me into this hobby, but I've played it so many times I don't think I can justify buying this full price. It still feels a bit hard to control to me, too - okay in the original because enemies were generally less mobile. I don't know. It's okay.

I'm so over the original nowadays that this'll end up being better in my head even if it's not.

And to be fair I think Capcom will knock this out of the park.

I dunno. This looks good but the original had something that just defined gaming at that moment in time. It was just so eerie. If that's the right word. 

Don't go off me, tho. I'd still take the black and white king Kong over the Peter Jackson one any day.

Apparently the xbox version of this has bad deadzone problems. Actually, apparently the xbox version of original RE4 has the same issue. So aiming is way more difficult and imprecise

The PS5 and PC is not as bad, but apparently ps5 looks way worse than xbox. Anyway, might still be best to go ps5 for playability tbh

Seemed fine once I'd upped the speed and sensitivity... no different to either 2 or 3 remake in any case, I guess once you're used to something you stop noticing.🤷‍♂️