passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Hi-Fi Rush

Nag

Well this has turned out to be a very pleasant surprise...

So let's get this out there straight the way, although this has strong rhythm elements you could (up till where I've played at least) get by with a bare minimum of rhythm... yeah you'll get damage perks and better scores but you can button mash your way through just as well.

It looks lovely, very stylized with a look of Lollipop Chainsaw or Sunset Overdrive and for me pretty humorous too without going too far that way. Special mention must go to the soundtrack which so far has been pretty amazing, especially the original music and the way the whole stage seems in sync with the beat.

There's a fairly decent amount of accessibility options too for people, who like me, have no rhythm whatsoever... so far so enjoyable and it's a game I probably never would've given a second thought to if not for my Game Pass sub... Great stuff.

78aff4b5-46ee-4afc-ac44-56796e1edd41.png

a2a75788-d778-4a24-81ef-325d3fea6f64.png

6e7cd9cb-66fd-4e44-b25c-63eb1fd5cee3.png

I just very briefly tried it there, when I heard it was some sort of music rhythm dmc type of game I thought I would be into it but it might not be my thing I think. It's light/heavy attack strings and the background 'beat' is largely disconnected from your own actions, you have to sync to it. For some reason, I imagined it would be more like Nero's exceed mechanic, but it isn't. Feels restrictive in a way I'm not into and reminds me of other action games which make me feel frustrated by their limits and/or strictness

I'll give it a more concerted go tomorrow and see what I figure out about it but will be keeping an eye on the refund timer I think

played the first 2 levels, they're pretty long so that's maybe about 2 hours worth.

the graphics are really good, really like the art style, like Nag says it's a bit like sunset overdrive. it's very stylish in the presentation and animation and i've found it funny a few times too. really impressed with all the presentation side of the game

the gameplay being a mix of sort of platforming/combat/rhythm game, also agree with Nag that the rhythm part doesn't play a big role in getting through the game. but because of the rhythm action involvement i put it on normal difficulty thinking i'm ok at rhythm games... but i'm rubbish at combat like this so should probably be playing on easy mode as i've died a few times already, you don't lose much progress though so that's good. it does give you a ranking a/b/c etc for each level so i guess the rhythm part comes into it more there - although the levels are so long not sure i'll be replaying them unless the game is pretty short overall. the gameplay is fun though, i've been enjoying it anyway. there's lots of stuff to collect and buying upgrades and stuff.

also the evil corporation is most likely named after a reference from

Spoiler

seinfeld

Gave this a quick go, holy shit it looks incredible in motion. Some proper wow moments I’ve not had for a while. In fact the whole style is fantastic. Only bummer is the dialogue. Think a more tame but still bad Forspoken.

Been very fun to play so far but I’m literally only 30 or so minutes in. Not sure how long I’ll stick at it though, I have zero rhythm. None, Nadda, zilch. Especially when I have to think about other things at the same time such as combat. I just can’t do it. So it depends how much it punishes me for that going forward. 

Ok, I’ve become a little obsessed with this. Spent most of my day off playing it. Up to level 5 now. I take back what I said about the dialogue, it’s actually great apart from a couple of cringey lines from the main character. All the other characters are brill, there’s a few robots who I’ve grown really keen of. Also had a few laugh out loud moments. 

As for the rhythm gameplay. There’s enough visual, audio and vibration cues that even a proper typical rhythmless white boy like myself can do it mostly. And the punishment for not hitting it all the time is near non existent. Recently got the parry ability and that feels awesome too. 

It continues to look incredible and the bosses have been visually, the bosses and splash screens during them have been particularly impressive. 

Loving it. 

yeah i've been really enjoying it too, it's really impressive, a lot of fun imo. after the first 2 levels i was really enjoying it but the combos were a bit samey and button mashing didn't produce much fun stuff happening, so i was thinking maybe i was enjoying it due to the presentation/animation/graphics/characters - all that side of it is amazing, so maybe it was a bit style over substance, but after that, playing further and unlocking more moves and combos i think the gameplay side is also really really good. the more i thought how good and how big a game this was the more impressed i was that it was all kept a secret.

it does a lot of stuff really well, like telegraphing of attacks is done in a number of ways like distinctive sounds, icons flashing up on the enemy, and best of all, long range attacks are marked on the floor really well so even if you can't see an enemy you can see the attack coming - not for everything - but for someone like me who really struggles with that sort of thing in fighting games this helps a lot and makes it a lot more enjoyable. makes it easier to get a dodge or parry in rather than just button mashing on easy mode not being able to dodge anything - i still get hit a lot mind.

i'm rubbish at both fighting games and simon says style rhythm action games so decided to turn the difficulty down on level 6 i think, i was getting through ok on normal but there were some bits where i was dying a few times and i don't like repeating stuff over and over in a long game (guess it took about 10 hours). the main difficulty i was having was later enemies that get angry and do a 

Spoiler

simon says 

bit and if you do it right you get a chance to finish them, i actually really like how this works on easy mode as it's more forgiving, but on normal if you keep missing them you can lose a lot of health so don't get many tries at it before death - although death doesn't put you far back.

i liked the music too.

some bits could be better - the rhythm bits where you have to play it more like a conventional rhythm action game - these are fine and mostly quite short but it would have been better to give some positional info on the buttons too like put them inside arrows.

and when you finish it you can go back through the levels and find hidden stuff, well i found quite a lot of hidden doors first time through but couldn't open them, not sure how i feel about that as the levels are about an hour long each, could be done a lot quicker but if you're looking for stuff it's going to be slow - but after finishing the game i went straight back into level 1 to find/try the challenge room.

Im still chipping away at this in between bouts of Dead Space and for the most part I'm still really enjoying it, there's just one thing that can put a dampener on things... Parrying... fucking hell do I hate Parrying!... I don't know if it's a timing issue or what but I fucking suck at parrying (doesn't matter the game either tbf) so those lasers and that boss fight....🤬🤬

Other than that though...👍👍😂

Yeah i usually ignore parrying in games because i cant do it. This game is one of the few where i can sometimes do it ok, like the ones where you just parry a standard enemy once i can sort of do. But where you have to parry multiple times or the simon says type bits i struggled with, think thats where i turned the difficulty down to easy mode, which gives you some leeway on those bits.

i re-did the second level to get some of the extra stuff, the post-game challenge room was tricky! Really enjoyed doing the level again, the boss on that level is great imo.

love the parry in this. I’m a big fan of parrying in games in general, ever since Bayonetta they’ve been one of my favourite game mechanics when done well. & this one is up there with the greats. They’re so satisfying to pull off in combat & as finishers to stronger enemies. In part thanks to the excellent AV feedback. That first time I did it against one of those samurai enemies I was cackling like a mad man. Don’t know how but something about how this game does those parry bar things I always seemed to remember the sequence no matter how long. Masterful design. 

I actually just loved this game as a whole so much. After a bit of a unsure start it just clicked and it got better & better as it went on. Had a bit of a wobble when the fire enemies got introduced but that was short lived.  One of the few games I didn’t want to end. So much style, creativity and imagination tied to some of the best visuals I’ve ever seen and excellent gameplay that really opens up as you get further into the game. Brilliant. Ramps up so well too, slight spoiler but when you’re near the end the Prodigy starts playing I just got so hyped.

Add to that it has some fantastic characters, surprisingly touching moments & it genuinely made me laugh a few times (that Korsica scene especially).

Just a gaming highlight for me this as a whole. Came out of nowhere, a genre I’m not normally keen on - rhythm action - and it’s blown me away. 

Fantastic. 
& to think if it wasn’t for Game Pass I may have never played it. Or would at least would have waited until a sale due to the genre. 

10 hours ago, mfnick said:

if it wasn’t for Game Pass I may have never played it.

That's true for me for a lot of games, even some AAA ones to be honest, like Gears and Halo.

I have drifted into the category of using the service to virtually 'buy' a new game for a shady 8 quid then leave thru the back door. As soon as I payed for the month to play this I cancelled recurring payments. Not really what Microsoft was hoping for I reckon.

As for the game, I feel it's something that I'll enjoy. I played the opening level and was pretty tuned in to the beat by the time the level boss reared his ugly steel bonce. Even managed an S rank (an unachievable dream for me in the likes of DMC) so at least I feel I know what's expected of me. Yeah, I dig it.

Second level on this took me an epic 84 minutes. I did spend a good few of those minutes checking every nook and cranny for currency and collectibles, but it was still a hell of a session to get to the end, with plenty of new toys and combat options thrown into the mix. Best thing I can say is that it pretty much flew by. I really didn't feel I'd played so long.

B ranked the boss but didn't really like the encounter. I couldn't get a grip on her attacks, fathom why I was getting hit, why my dodges weren't really working, or even what I was doing to put her in a stun state. Some videogame bosses can be like that tho, you feel like you don't know what you're doing, and then they keel over for no apparent reason.😃

Looking forward to my next session. And now I've got myself a launch combo. I love a good launch combo, me. Always feel that dishing out the damage while hanging in the air limits your enemies options somewhat.

Peppermint finish you say. But yes @mfnick, it's the xx3y, and it only seems polite to hit them with a juggle and smackdown afterwards.

Did the parry chapter today. For most of the time I decided it was a good idea to just get in amongst them and then just pulse the B button until I'd parried something, then unleash fretted hell! Seemed to work, and I A ranked the chapter, so the game seemed happy with my strategy.

Starting to fall in love with the game.

Just did level 4 (I think it was level 4, the one where u depleat the bosses budget😄)

Fucking hell, there was a mad little sequence at the end that tripped me up badly,

Spoiler

where every button needed pressing on pain of being one hit killed be a laser wall.

Died 9 times on that and got a D for the level when all my combat and platforming were As or Bs.

I now hate this game and will no longer play it. (until 9 tonight when I get home from work).

Think I'm up to chapter 10 on this now. Just done a boss and suffered multiple game overs for the first time in combat. The difficulty has definitely cranked up lately but I think my failure was due to just not knowing what the game was asking of me in this particular scenario. Managed in the end, but with more button mashing than musical finesse, and grudgingly accepted my meagre D ranking😞.

The game definitely comes across as a sort of rhythmic DMC. Not in narrative feel, but in the way it presents its levels and bosses, and the way it scores the players performance. Would have been nice to be able to replay a level during the initial playthru (I know you get to do this after beating the game). You can always do that in DMC to build your skills and grab a bit more currency. Here, I feel you're never given enough time to really get a new technique under your fingers before the game is throwing all kinds of robotic hell at you. 

Not that it's unfair. In fact I'd say it's one of those games that's sort of easy and hard at the same time. A bit like DMC.

I’ve had chance to play this now but only up to after defeating the first boss. I will say that if you don’t understand rhythm games then this does nothing to help. Every hint went whoooosh over my head. The bar that’s supposed to help that you can activate at any time, literally no idea how that’s supposed to help.

So I’m glad I started it on easy because I don’t sense or feel any sort of rhyme or reason to most of what I’m told to do.

It’s a looker and pretty funny in places that’s for sure. I just wish I felt in control 😢