passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fire Emblem Fates

radiofloyd

I’ve started this because of the 3DS eShop kerfuffle.

Nintendo Life just published an article ranking the Fire Emblem games and they had this at number 8. The fact that they had Three Houses at number 2 makes me question their judgement though. We’ll see.

I’ve just completed two chapters and it’s been snappy and straightforward so far. I’m aware that later in the game I’ll have a choice between two storylines which gives the game an interesting dimension.

I’m playing on Hard difficulty after finding that Normal difficulty in Three Houses just sapped all the challenge out of the game, and Classic mode. So characters who die are lost forever.

This game is interesting. I blitzed through the opening chapters and chose the Birthright path (siding with Hoshidan).

I’ve now unlocked a hub area of sorts and after all that chaos, it seems like the game has finally started properly.

The game has some obvious negatives. The dialogue and script are - to be generous - asinine and quite atrocious, although the overall story has been dramatic enough. All of the female characters (who are mostly family members) giggle like they are mid-blowjob. The graphics are either lovely (the cut-scenes, the character portraits) or god awful (everything else). The 3DS really was not a powerhouse.

All that being said, it’s a Fire Emblem game, so it’s all about the battles. I’m playing on Hard (which I think is really the game’s Normal mode), and I’ve died a couple of times, but I’m starting to get into the flow of things. At least the battles involve some thinking now, as opposed to the procession it was mopping up enemies playing Three Houses (on Normal).

The systems are not exactly the same as Three Houses though, so I haven’t figured everything out yet. From here I think I start the game proper.