passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Valkyria Chronicles 4

OCH

With my interest in PokéMon Violet at an end. As I'm in the mood to keep playing it, I decided to turn my attention on the third game on my Switch (following Violet and Metroid Dread). Considering, I have completely forgotten when I bought this. It's a little regrettable it has been sitting unplayed on here for so long. I adored the first game on the PS3. If they had released them on a console, it's likely I would have felt similar to 2 & 3. Now the main reason this game has essentially been in storage is due to it being a download. As this is the Switch, the size of this game forced me to archive all of my other Switch games. I recall being very annoyed by that and I left the console off until Metroid Dread.

Fast forward to the present, I'm a little rusty but getting there. The importance of strategy in this series can't be understated. So far I'm roughly two chapters in. Basically the bit that was covered in the 2018 demo (I know this since my save data was retained) With two unlocked skirmishes, both 'A' rank. Although the story missions haven't been as successful (two B ranks), since the first (which was an 'A'). I'm getting as much enjoyment from it at the moment, as I did with the original. Waiting to see which one the cast will be the titular Super-Soldier. Not as clear cut as the first game yet.

VS. The C Rank

Chapter 3 has a two part mission. One part is a small party recon mission. The second, that party escaping from behind enemy lines. The problem is you can't get a good rank in the second part, if you don't pick the right party for the recon squad. These five being locked in choices. After several attempts at part two. I couldn't do better than a 'C' rank, the lowest I believe?

After two fruitless attempts at the opening, huge, mission of chapter 4. Today I turned my attention back to this one. As I had some free time, I decided to tackle both parts again. Better troops, better strategy and now both parts are 'A' rank! Finally getting back into the rhythm of this game. Might go back and up those two prior 'B' ranks before attempting chapter 4. Since the game does reward you with bonuses for achieving the highest rank.

Don't focus on the ranks too much. One of the few flaws of VC4 is that they didn't revamp the ranking system, so getting high ranks is just a speedrun most of the time. The longer it takes you to finish a mission, the worse your rank will be, which in turn means rushing through with powered-up scouts is often the one and only way to get a high grade, just like it was back then in VC1.

It's a really odd oversight because it forces a disengage with a lot of other, very interesting systems and also asks you to ignore some of the more interesting classes this game has to offer. You don't lose on essential XP if you don't max out every mission either – at least I don't remember feeling underleveled at any point. I think I only had to restart one of the last couple of missions and that was due to poor positioning of my Lancers (which you can't make up for on the fly with their low mobility).

So my tip is to just enjoy the game as-is and avoid potential rank-related frustration. It's a fantastic game in every other aspect.

2 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

poor positioning of my Lancers (which you can't make up for on the fly with their low mobility).

And Grenadiers also. At the moment, bearing in mind I'm just starting Chapter 4 - The Siegval Line. Every squad is level 6. I've also had more than enough money to get every upgrade too. I keep forgetting about the unique new editions of this game though. The added points of interest to Headquarters. The additional items people can be equipped with, etc. To be honest, the ranking stuff is mostly a goal to aim for, when I'm not in the mood to play for very long. That mission in particular, I knew I could do better. It just came down to me initially picking a Sniper for the team. When they aren't overly helpful in long missions without Engineers to restore their ammo.

I get what you mean though. Achieving 'A' ranks definitely reminds me of VC 1. Using the powered-up Alicia, to steamroll every mission.

The duality of VC

The opening mission of Chapter 4 represents a significant difficulty spike. You have the low ground and have to make your way to the top of the map to capture the enemy base. Along the way are turrets, both concrete and manned by a single trooper. These are on cliffs, prime for sniping. Snipers in higher vantage points and Grenadiers too. There are also more than a few tanks and Anti-tank guns too. The force is possibly the biggest assembled against you so far. So I methodically made my way up the map. It took me 6 turns to finish... Rank D🤨

I don't see how I could have done it better/faster, at this point in the game. I imagine the upgrade will come later. The next mission, same chapter. You are climbing a mountain, in an ascending loop. Similar defences, but less of them. I weirdly finish this one in 6 turns.. Rank A.🤔

This second fight was a lot easier than the previous and more akin to those from prior Chapters. Which I remember being a thing with VC1. A difficulty roller-coster, until the titular characters appear.

At the moment, I'm liking the new command system - specifically the part added in Fight 2. Also most of the new units are fun... Except the APC. It reminds me of a similar unit from Advance Wars. Which I regarded as fodder. There and here. Hopefully it will become more useful soon and less like a liability on wheels, with wafer thin armour.

• 3 weeks later...

One brief hiatus later...

Chapter 7. There is only one mission in this chapter. The typical model of "Capture the [furthest] enemy base". The catch with this one, it is an enemy supply depot. A supply train depot. Enter new enemy unit: Armoured train cars. Now I thought, I was doing bad at this one. It took a couple tries. Not because I failed the mission. But either I misplaced units (who were slaughtered in one enemy turn) or realised I had the wrong mix. That being part of the min-max nature I take with these games. So I get to the end goal in six turns. Thinking I could have done it faster, better somehow?

...Rank A😳 

I was genuinely stunned the game thought I did that so well?

Given the nature of the subsequent cutscenes. I assume I've either reached or passed the halfway point of the game. So I'm hopeful to make a push to finish this game before the end of the month.

The secondary squad members being so prominent in cutscenes is quite refreshing. Adding to their characterisation (as do the sub chapters unique to them). Although I rarely even look at the new recruits received every couple of chapters.

Today, Chapter 10 was reached. I ended my play session there. But wow, Chapter 9 was wild. The titular character was the first VC was essentially a Super Soldier with a lance. This one... They have decided to be a bit more ambitious. The sightlines of individual units has really come into the forefront of the last few missions. Be that story chapters and side missions. Ultimately Scouts are still as OP as the first game. Although note quite the same calibre of bullet sponge. Currently [Elite] level 13 with everyone and with the most advanced upgrades. Now I'm thinking is the time to replay those earlier story missions for a better rank. Yes, it is largely superfluous. But I have Rank A on all side missions and skirmish maps (first try). So I'd like to give uniformity to those rankings. The other reason for that being, when I finish this. I'm very unlikely to ever return to it.

I don't think I'm going to get a Valkyrie of my own in this game?

Enter: Minerva. The leader class Scout AKA Basically the same thing. As I said, I've been mopping up low ranked maps today. Through Minerva, I achieved A Rank on The Battle of Siegval. The first major difficulty spike I noted earlier. It helps that the levelling up you do with your troops, tanks etc Somehow is retained for redoing earlier missions. Whereas previously, grenadiers and turrets posed a lethal threat to my infantry. Now I can basically run through these low level versions. I've got two maps left to A Rank, before I move back to the story itself.