passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon

radiofloyd

I don't disagree that they are very different series. Still, different series or not FROM brings certain expectations of quality and challenge (especially these days WRT quality). Which matters a lot if VI is going to get an audience and not just be a 60 metascore game which sells modestly. The carte blanche they have now compared to the AC days is on another level which makes this a particularly exciting game to keep an eye on, cause of how different it may be to recent offerings as well.

I'll buy it regardless (do love robots, after all). But my one hope is that if AC does well here. It might prompt From to revisit more of their non-Souls back catalogue. Unlike say, Capcom, who just sticks to their big money franchises now.

On 03/03/2023 at 22:24, OCH said:

Armoured Core V... "Released 26 January 2012 JPN (March 23rd for us). The online servers shut down in 2014." That brings it to existing in tandem with Dark Souls 1 & 2. Your experience with the Mech Genre and/or enjoyment of giant robots, will determine whether the game gels with you or not.

11 years ago then, 10 years since Verdict Day according to you. That's donkeys years to me lol.

I think Dwarf gets what I'm going on about really, From of pre/immediately post-DkS1 is a very different proposition from From of today, back then the studio was an also ran that had a few cult hit series that never really got hugely popular or reviewed well.

An AC game in 2023 comes with the expectation that it's going to be fantastic, people expect nothing less than the From of 2023 than something amazing and exciting. If it's just another AC game there will be a lot of disappointed folks, I agree they should stick to the roots of the series and believe they have said as much before but I don't see any harm in throwing in some Souls-isms to improve the gameplay, environments etc. if they so choose.

I don't think we should forget that From made Souls, as that's forgetting the pedigree the studio now has after years of being an also-ran, but at the same time I do agree to an extent that we shouldn't compare this to Souls or think it's a Souls game etc. too much. Which is fair, but people will. I don't really know what to expect myself, I've seen a few videos of old AC games and imagine it to be a bit similar to Steel Battalion but that's about as far as it goes, I'm definitely not expecting Souls with Mechs.

The way I see it, the flow and formula won't really feel much like Souls at all. But I think the thing that will feel most like Souls, or Sekiro, will be the melee. I bet that ends up being this very clunky but crunchy and satisfying thing which incorporates lots of elements that are familiar to recent From stuff. Posture damage, keeping pressure and not losing momentum, it's going to be more like Sekiro than Souls I'd guess but where you have to manage your fuel/'stamina'.

But the thing about melee is it's actually a really niche option in these games, running up on a mech to punch it in the face is like playing as a 'deprived' in Souls or something, it's more of a hardcore option really. A lot of the combat in these games is about keeping space to break tracking and be far away from a spray of bullets (cause bullet velocity is a thing). Keeping a light enough equip load to be able to round enemies and keep out of their danger zone if they cant turn as fast as you. So ranged machine guns and locked on missiles with lots of hopping and careful use of boost is sort of the conventional approach to a mech sparring contest, and if you want to carry a massive world-ending arsenal then you need to learn how to keep momentum and never come to a standstill on your fat-ass mech or you eat so much shit with your lessened stability (mega recovery frames). The physics of movement and the inertia involved is what will make it feel the most different I think. The trailer hints at some rock-paper-scissors stuff with the melee system, so maybe they are going for more of a holistic approach to melee which integrates all the different options a lot better, which is something which builds upon their experience in combat encounter design from the past couple Souls/BB/ER entries.

man, they need to release some gameplay footage of this thing. I'm so interested in seeing what they go for

I did mention trying the older games. But he only seemed interested in the new hotness. I really hope the FoR isn't that fast. Playing Vanquish gave me a terrible headache/eye strain and it wasn't even 1st person view.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Vatti manned up and played Last Raven, which is considered the hardest Armored Core

I had 2 endings left to get in it on my playthrough, but got a bit burned out after all that Armored Core-ing. It's a cool game though, with an interesting campaign structure that rewards replay