passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

God of War: Ragnarök

one-armed dwarf

40 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

I had this too, I was missing a Buried Treasure at one of the mining rigs.

Figured it could be one of those...

I've moved on to the realm that has the Jungle segment now, I've got to admit there's a few places that I absolutely hate navigating due to the map being useless... tbf I had the same thing on the previous game too. Making steady headway with the clear up though.

• 1 month later...

Finally finished and got the Platinum (after turning the difficulty down for

Spoiler

two Beserkers

, and cheesing

Spoiler

Gna

)

Honestly, I loved the story. I thought it was fantastic from start to finish. However, like others said, I hated the clean-up. I understand the reasons why it was done, but there was no point in making the platinum tied to some incredibly difficult enemies.

I am looking forward to seeing what's done with the story going forward, though.

Also, still waiting on a signed Jontunheim edition that's supposed to be winging it's way over to me at some point...

Ahh that's really considerate, thanks dude. 

I'm not sure it's possible, though; the team are sending it direct to Rosie's office first... But I'll keep yours in mind in case there are any issues. I'm 100% sure you wouldn't tell me it went missing in the post!

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm fairly close to the end now, but still probably tens of hours away. Not helped that since I theoretically got the end game set of missions I've fucked off to 2 secret areas. One of which has a really cool little secret guarded by a troll, more of that and a bit less of the ghosts and this would be a better open world 

The concept of leveling up your Kratos still makes me laugh, but I'm definitely making shorter work and surviving longer now my gear is improved. Its a bit frustrating some gear hasn't been improved for a while, it feels like I haven't found the materials for my chains in hour and hours. 

Anyway I'm going to try to focus a bit more. I'm right in front of one of those chaos pits or whatever they're called, I think it's the last one I need to beat. There's also an ygdrissel rift near me to grab, then the actual side mission I'm here to do, then return to that secret to cash some more stuff in, then back to the main story to murder some gods

Finished... finally. Brilliant game, better than the previous one I think, but dear fucking christ is it long. Even the end, after you've wrapped up the final fights, goes on for about an hour. Really good though, I know that's what they've built this on, but it's a very touching story at points

I was definitely significantly stronger at the end of the game than I'd been for most of it, it really felt it too, enemies I'd previously limped past I was kicking the shit out of. I never did quite work out how to beat the battlecat things when the rider put a shield on them, but brute force works fine I guess

I don't think I'll platinum it, but I'd go back if there was dlc

End game plot spoilers

Spoiler

I didn't see the Tyr reveal coming. I thought Brok riling him up was going to get him angry and ready for the fight. It did make me wonder if they were going to go and find the real Tyr, I wonder if that means he is dead and not being held captive

It was smartly done in a way. I liked Brok, but at some points he gets a bit much. That scene though every single thing he says is laugh out loud funny, so it is a gut punch when he's killed

On 02/02/2023 at 11:10, regemond said:

Ahh that's really considerate, thanks dude. 

I'm not sure it's possible, though; the team are sending it direct to Rosie's office first... But I'll keep yours in mind in case there are any issues. I'm 100% sure you wouldn't tell me it went missing in the post!

This went missing, so until a culprit has been found I'm assuming @DisturbedSwan is the guilty party due to his previous interest. Please provide reimbursement at your earliest convenience. TIA.

• 2 months later...

Started last night. Incredibly strong opening couple of hours. These cinematic boss fights are pretty much unmatched in gaming. Thing is 2018 started very strong too but ended up being mostly just standard action from then on. Hopefully this one does a better job of keeping the momentum going. 

Theyre so incredibly good at setting scenes too. When you meet the first 2 big characters, the sense of menace and tension is just incredible and above anything else I think I’ve experienced in a game in this way. The music, the voice acting, the low hanging camera, the way it makes you feel, it’s proper ‘oh shit’. Pretty amazing. 

Good first impressions. 

Freed a huge lake monster, that was cool. As far as I can tell it was an optional mission too? Does that mean I’m going to have to do all the side missions to make sure I don’t miss things like that? Damn. 

1 hour ago, mfnick said:

Freed a huge lake monster, that was cool. As far as I can tell it was an optional mission too? Does that mean I’m going to have to do all the side missions to make sure I don’t miss things like that? Damn. 

Yes, the side quests in this game are something else.

About 9 hours in now, don’t know what it is, but I’m enjoying this a lot more than 2018. Maybe I’m just in a different mindset but it’s doing a lot more for me. I think it’s managing to keep the sense of epic-ness a bit better. Every scene just drips with effort, talent and money. 

As an animal lover I’m really enjoying the sidequest stuff I’ve be done so far too. & that squirrel is amazing. That part with

Spoiler

Fenrir killed me though. 

I still have my issues, I still prefer the old Kratos and wish he’d lose it more. Artreus is still a whiney annoying cunt at times. After the initial opening fights it’s definitely settled down whereas in previous instalments we’d have had 10 epic monster fights by now. Also some of the puzzle stuff goes on too long, I got bored of the Crystal axe throwing ones very quickly but it keeps doing them. I’m currently in the woods

Spoiler

controlling Artreus and this section is going on far too long too, give me Kratos back please. The voice actress doing Angrboda is fucking incredible though. 

But overall I’m definitely enjoying this more. 

Well, certainly cooled on this since my last post, I’m nearing the end now

Spoiler

(Spark of the World is one of the best looking things I’ve ever seen in a game, wow!)

but that middle 10-15 hours could have mostly been cut & it would have been better for it. Just a load of busy work with the odd flash of brilliance.

Spoiler

The Atreus bits did nothing for me either, I understand why they did it for story purposes but I just couldn’t wait to get back to Kratos every time. Made Thor look cool as fuck though.

No wonder they have to charge £70 for it, remove that 10 hours off and charge <£60 please. 

Anyway, it’s ramped right up again now I’m approaching the end which is good. 

Finished. Not a fan at all of the ending. I really dislike what they’ve done with Kratos - sure it’s character building and maturity and I get that & understand why so many people seem to prefer this but to me personally it’s the complete opposite of what I wanted. 

The last couple of bosses really disappointed too. Combat wise they were fine but due to

Spoiler

Kratos’ new direction there was no awesome set-piece death - which I count as a reward for beating them in these games & genuinely look forward to seeing them so not having them at the end really disappointed me.

Although story wise I did enjoy how they handled Thor.

Spoiler

Also there was no big wow moment to finish on like you’d usually get in these, when Ragnarok turned up with his huge sword I thought “ oh Hell yea, here we go” expecting a escape sequence or even a fight against him but nope, nothing. The whole Loki needing to go off and find the giants thing came out of nowhere too. He wakes up and it’s like that’s all that matters all of a sudden even though he barely mentioned it before. Im glad that leaves you with Freya instead of him though for the post game stuff, I much prefer her.

Whether I do that stuff though I don’t know. It’s already far too long I doubt I’ll enjoy doing it but I’ve got a platinum in every other God of War so feel I should do it. It’s a sickness. 

It’s still a great game, no doubt. & the production values are unlike anything else. I just adore how they handle the camera in these too, they just frame stuff so perfectly & the no cut thing works so incredibly well. The music and voice acting is outstanding, the larger than life feel to everything, the incredible graphics and vista’s everywhere, that stuff is just above and beyond anything. The high points when they happen are just some of my favourite parts in any video game too. & the combat is very good. 

Overall I’d give it a 8/10. May even go 7, that middle sizeable chunk really didn’t do it for me. The ending genuinely has me worried for the future of the franchise too, 2018 started that, this has gone a whole lot further to saying it’s not for me anymore. I don’t know… Rambling a bit but as daft as it sounds this is my favourite gaming series so it’s difficult to figure out how I really feel about it. 

I probably said it maybe, but for me the no-cut stuff kind of came as a hindrance in a game with so many characters to focus on. It had to come up with weird reasons to cut across to other characters and develop them in a way that made me feel like it didn't quite work.

On the other hand maybe developing characters at a glance like that is more interesting in itself, and letting you fill in the untold details. Give you the tip of the iceberg, a little bit. Still though

I sort of feel 8/10 on it as well. It's a messy, uneven game but its got the money on screen in a way other projects can't pull off and the main cast put in good performances. Also beating the berserks up was fun

I loved it, and while I do agree it's very different from the last version of the series, I just don't see how they could exist today. Maybe the longer, more mashy fights, but everything else about God of War had to change for it to remain relevant. Ignoring the tone, just that they had to keep one-upping themselves, I don't know how you can

It is a very different franchise now though, so I don't think your opinion is wrong at all mfnick, in the same way Nag not liking RE4. Change can be great, but if you liked what was happening before then you didn't want it

I do think both, but this on in particular, are way too flabby. It's not that I didn't like the other aspects to the story, it just starts to drag at a certain point. I don't need a 40 hour+ God of War 

Absolutely loved it too, but it definitely had some fat that could've done with trimming I agree that much.

I completely disagree with the games tone and direction as well, but then I think we are polar opposites in that I hated the OG GoW series at the time, Kratos was just an awful, poorly written character who's only emotion is anger, not to mention all the cringey sex sequences either. I will say though, that I went back to GoW3 on PS4 late last gen and had a good time with it, the boss fights and spectacle are unsurpassed to this day, so I get why if you were a fan of that trilogy that you'd want SMS to up their game again so to speak. But I'd argue they have, just in the story telling aspect rather than cool boss fights.

I do get if you were a fan of those games that you'd wish Kratos would lose his cool more in this, but yeah, I think restraint is more powerful overall. Without giving anything away I like how the last third of the game subverted expectations too, I get how folks wanted certain things to happen in terms of spectacle, boss battles etc. but I think the last third and ending they went with is actually perfect, for me at least. 

But yeah, it didn't need as many as the little exploration areas (as fantastic as they were) in the game, but once I got stuck into them I did actually enjoy them, it just kind of threw the pacing off a bit at times, but I did them when I saw them whereas I presume it would probably be better to wait and do them after the game is done. 

He wasn’t just angry in the original games though. & those sex scenes account for 30 seconds in each 10 hour game. Did they need to be there? No. Were they a stupid inclusion? Yes. Is that stuff blown way out of proportion? Yes. Sorry but those 2 arguments just seem to be the same regurgitated internet snark about those games which don’t actually hold much weight. I also count the 2 PSP games in my love of the original games too, in particular the PS3 remasters. The 2 remastered collections are the only reason I still have my PS3. Ascension not so much though. 

Anyway, back to this, I agree they needed to change things up. Absolutely. They couldn’t have carried it on as it was. Ascension was the sign they had done all they could in the original spirit of the games. Even id only rank that a high 7/10. 

I can 100% see why people like and prefer the new direction too. Although I’m not keen I can still appreciate they did a good job of it. & I actually do think they’ve done the right thing for the story and the majority of people. But for me I’d have loved

Spoiler

it if Heimdall killed Atreus and Kratos just went ballistic on the Aesir gods and Asgard. But then we’d be retreading the same ground as before so I understand why not and I know for lost other people that just wouldn’t work. I’d have fucking loved it though! 

I really hope the ending and having us control Atreus so much doesn’t mean the next entry in the series will be his game too. The GoW name will need altering if that’s the case, in which case maybe that’s when I can let it go lol.

Also, forgot to say -2 points because Kratos doesn’t call Atreus boy anymore

Spoiler

except that one time. 

The best part of 2018 removed. So 6/10 😉

4 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Also beating the berserks up was fun

Yea got to say the couple I’ve done have been great. That’s one thing that these games do improve on compare to the original games. The combat is great, the only problem being there’s just far too much of it due to the bloat. I’d be far more positive about that side of the game if it was a bit more refrained.