passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gotham Knights

AndyKurosaki

I’ve played this for 4 hours now. And the harsh reviews can honestly fuck right off. They’re way off the mark, in my opinion.

Usually, Skill Up does decent reviews, but I don’t agree with his video review of this. He moans that unlocking “Knigthood” for all 4 characters is a massive grind. Is it bollocks. There are two ways to level up. All characters share regular XP, so you can freely switch between them. But each character has a 4th skill tree, Knighthood. This needs to be unlocked for each character, and you do so by killing 3 mini bosses, and solving 10 crimes.

In my 4 hours, I’ve got Knighthood unlocked for 2 characters, and almost done it for a 3rd. The way he moans, it’s like it’s a huge chore. He also creams his jeans over Arkham Knight. Personally, I thought that game was boring as fuck. I’ve had more fun with this, than I ever did with that. 

I’ve also seen some people complain that one fight sequence has the rock remix of Livin’ La Vida Loca. To those people I say “Have you even played Saints Fucking God-awful Row?”. What a stupid complaint. 

Anyways. Combat-wise, this ain’t Arkham. There’s stealth takedowns, but I’ve not had opportunity to use them much. So far, there’s not the vast array of gadgets that Batman had in Arkham. But, each character has their own play style, and abilities. Robin has been quite fun so far. 

A lot of people got pissed off when it was revealed this is 30fps on consoles. I’m no graphics expert, and to be quite honest, I’m happy with how this looks on PS5. It looks pretty damn good to me. 

The story has been interesting so far, and it’s worth swapping characters, as they periodically have their own side missions, which further develop how they’re coping with the loss of Batman. 

So yeah. I’m having a great time with this so far.

• 1 month later...

So I finally got back into this, and finished the Campaign tonight. And I really enjoyed it. It’s certainly more fun than Arkham Knight ever was. 

Unlocking Fast Travel is a definite must, as travelling around on your motorbike can take a fair while. 

I’ve a few Villain case files to finish off. Some trophies I’ll have a crack at. I can’t be arsed with getting all the collectibles though. One of those is batarangs hidden on rooftops, which have a bright blue glow when you’re close to them. Problem is, a lot of rooftops have similar looking blue lights on them, which can make you think it’s a batarang, but nope, just a light. 

It won’t win any Game Of The Year awards. But I’ve had a lot of fun with this.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Picked this up for £16.80 from Tesco the other week.

You know when you buy a bottle of alcohol-free beer or rum, and they're trying to replicate the real thing, and they manage most of the flavour but something is missing and it's just not quite as fun? Yeah that's how I feel about this.

The city is big, with lots to see and do. There's plenty of things to pick up. Loads of little side missions to busy yourself with. There just seems to be some of the Arkham magic missing. At least, that's how I felt at first.

More time I'm putting into it, though, the more I'm realising this shouldn't actually be compared to the Arkham games. For a start, the gameplay loop is fundamentally different. You start at your base - The Belfry - before flitting about, doing some side missions then hitting up a main story mission. Once said story mission is done, you hop back to The Belfry and the story goes into the next night before continuing. It's simple, and gives a better, smarter balance than the Arkham games - which all supposedly took place over one night - did. Ok, I know that was a comparison to Arkham. And I know I said you shouldn't compare the two, but that one was fair to point out.

The fighting seems simple, but has some subtle aspects of hidden depth in there. Specially activated moves, timing-based bonuses, nothing earth-shattering, but enough that you can play without just hammering X (or square on PS). 

Everything in this feels very average. In a bland, non-offensive way. Except for one aspect. It feels like you're playing in treacle. Whether it's button prompts lagging just a LITTLE too much, or the motorbike just not feeling fast at all, even at full speed, the entire game just feels slow. I can get past it. It's not enough to stop me playing, but it's a continuous niggle. If I'm blasting a motorbike through Gotham, I want to feel like I'm barely keeping it under control. I want to fly past civilians, perps and the po-po. But it just feels like I'm tootling about on a mobility scooter.

I'm gonna keep playing, because I really can't complain for less than £17. I wish it had cross-platform co-op, rather than single platform, though. I reckon I'd have loads of fun playing this on the two TVs with Rosie. 

I went into this expecting an Arkham quality game, which it genuinely isn’t. I liked it, but it certainly is slow. Even when you’re allegedly at full speed on your motorbike, it doesn’t feel like it. Once I finished the story I sacked it off. But it gave me a few hours of enjoyment.