passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Street Fighter VI (closed beta)

one-armed dwarf

Have spent around 7 hours with it or so, just mashing around in neutral. The game looks beautiful. I prefer its look to strive, even tho I like the 2d look of that I much prefer the clean look of this, where everything is more readable.  Right now you're thrown into a very mixed pool of skill levels, tho there is a generally high enough level of cluelessness and the new mechanics are so powerful that you can sort of get by. I don't know what cancels into anything so I'm just really mashing out opportunities to knock somedown and hit them with fake-ass meaties. Did a 5 match set with some random luke and it was 3-2 to him. had a one and done with a juri just now, she won, but I'm happy I converted drive impact into super at around 15:00. That's my gamer goal achieved for now, who cares that I got bodied :x

Spoiler

Then I played Mr Hadouken, the reason I got so bothered by the fireballs is i forgot which of Kimberly's kicks low profiles the fireballs, it's forward down medium kick I think. Also I kept trying to do it on frame disadvantage, anyway put a stop to that shit

Spoiler

Drive impact seems.. well impactful. It's a very high committal move with lots of startup and recovery which armours through your opponent's offense (you take some damage but it takes multihits to knock you out of it, or a grab). I imagine at mid to higher levels it introduces a more dangerous kind of RPS into pressure and neutral interactions. It's one of those things where it's hard to know how people will feel about it until the meta settles after the game's release. Right now it's one of those mechanics which I'm just giving the benefit of the doubt to, that when the full game is understood it won't feel so caveman-like. 

Your ex gauge or whatever it is called is used to control your access to your ex moves (think they have a different name in this, it's when you press two buttons at once for more powerful attacks and conversions). But it also gets drained on block, so if you're very passive you get 'burnt out' or something which means other than you get dizzy and stuff and they can just wail on you. But there are also mechanics in the game to gain that meter back, only one I know of is the parry mechanic which is when you see someone sort of go all blue and smokey, don't really know how to leverage that yet though. I guess there's other things which return meter but I need to learn about it more

There's also a mechanic called drive rush, it uses 3 out of your 6 bars to extend pressure and combos, similar to GG roman cancel. You can see the Juri use it, it's when she goes all green and shit (and you can see me labbing it in the training before the match). Seems like a hell of a high cost to do that though. Training mode has cool utilities to display when something is special cancellable and also where the 'links' are in move properties to link into the next normal, which is very useful as the concept and timings of links is something I'm not used to. They seem to have really good teaching tools for that kinda stuff.

I'll probably spend a few more hours with it but I largely don't go too crazy with fg betas cause it's just not enough time for me to comfortably spend figuring stuff out. But getting a general sense of the system mechanics is all I really want atm anyway. I don't think I'll main Kimberly in the main game but mostly cause I want to try a more of a zoner character, and everyone in the beta is a rushdown from what I see. I think her gameplan is a combination of controlling neutral space with the canister bombs, and using same bombs to setup pressure concepts in the corner. She has a sprint move which can be cancelled to throw people off, haven't figured out how to really use it tho. She has command grab finishers to some of her stuff. Some of her stuff seems mad fake to me though, like the cross up heavy kick forward thing she has. I don't know how you make that ambiguous, tho ultimately again this is not the character I'm interested in playing just the one that appealed most in the beta. I'll probably stick with her going forward into additional betas tho, to keep up some learning momentum with how short these things are.

Diaphone has some cool stuff with the character

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1614357197

Netcode is fine, rollback like Strive. Get basically the same number of frames in this as I do that.

Anyone else get in?

I've been watching a lot of stuff. Looks great to me although players seem to be landing similar combos to 5. I think I heard one high level player (might have been Chris G) saying it felt a bit too much like 5 for his tastes.

But I didn't get an invite to the beta which, given I've been playing 5 for 2 weeks and have absolutely no online presence, is a mystery to me😟

I can't really get into the weeds on comparisons with 5 as I barely tried it, but I think 6 seems a more intuitive game to really start learning things with the training mode aids for frame data. I could never figure out where the links where in 5, in this it just tells you (not that I have the muscle memory timing to do it in matches yet, but it onboards you better at least)

Found a cool dp punish on diaphone's stream which allows you to setup bomb combos/pressure (HK, HP, 236HP, jump 214P(OD), then 22LP for bomb), but I don't have safe jump setups for DPs lol. Maybe that's tomorrow's last beta day goal, or at the very least to land that punish in a real match (plenty of walk up dp spammers online, no need for safe jumps)

yday's session not as productive, partly cause it's hard to find a good learning pace with such a short amount of time (especially as some of the stuff I have to learn is SF 101 type things). However I came away really positive with the whole thing. Feels like capcom are making lots of good decisions wrt having a game that's playable at all levels and has lots of features beyond 1v1 clobbering to pull people in. It's also the most beautiful looking fighter out there which will make it a big hit I think cause it's something you walk past and just go 'oh shit, it looks so good' and cant take your eyes off of.

There's some interesting defensive mechanics I want to learn more about by watching some of diaphone's stuff. The 3 meter drive rush thing I mentioned, which is like GG roman cancel, you can effectively get a one meter version of that out of perfect parry (which returns 2 meter back to you) so being on defense is not a hopeless situation. Still not completely sure about drive impact, everyone was getting blowed up by it over the weekend but that's probably cause it's a new mechanic with unoptimised counter plays. Certain of your own normals can be canceled into drive impact if you are quick to react to your opponent, and DI can be grabbed and stopped by multi-hitting moves. So it's going to have that kind of impact on blockstrings I'd guess, people optimising their pressure to account for the opponent's ability to flip a coin and destroy you by doing the same back to them.

There's some really interesting implications for how pivotal the meter is in this, how it governs offense and defense and can be extremely powerful at each. I imagine the idea is to make this the biggest thing about the game, its huge reliance on meter management and how that affects your decisions

2023 most anticipated I think, hopefully an early release next year (feb pls)

edit vid which shows the level of scrubbiness I got to, pretty convincingly battered by a drunk. I do wonder how to establish Kimberly in neutral, her best normal pokes seem to be medium kick and heavy punch maybe, I think the 214punch OD move for high low mix is probably your best neutral option but it's a lot of meter when you got no mix in the first place lol

Spoiler

Heavy kick forward I never really figured out, it seems so reactable. Maybe it's more of a pressure tool than neutral

• 2 weeks later...

I been watching a lot of this over the past week and think the game looks awesome. Right now I’m torn between Ryu and Kimberly. Ryu looks simple but strong, which I’m so bad at Street Fighter I might need a character like that. But Kimberly has got all the crazy stuff I like with teleports and sliding moves and stuff. 

The only thing I already know I’m going to fucking hate is DI. I can already see all the angry posts I’m going to make. It’s basically like watching for DP’s but all the time. This game looks absolutely great but I can already feel the rage

My perspective on it from watching Sajam talk about it is that it's going to have a big impact on pressure. You have to think about your blockstrings a lot and try to condition players to not go for DI by having your pressure concepts be built out of easily cancellable shit, then hit them with the more commit-heavy options when they don't expect it as much

Honestly this beta was so much fun it's actually my goty, but well you can't call a beta your goty can you. Anyway don't make a bunch of rage posts about DI without at least trying to learn some counterplay. We can do some games in the next beta, which will be an open beta I guess. @bellow i expect an actual effort from you also, you're going to fight me online in this game on ps or via crossplay and we're going to mash buttons and fail to confirm a single combo. if you even lab a single combo in the training room I'll consider it cheating

• 1 month later...