passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Return To Monkey Island

Maf

I’ve never played a Monkey Island game before but something about this seemed really appealing so I’ve given it a go

The game has a casual and a hardcore mode. With the hardcore mode adding more and harder puzzles. I went with casual because I just kind of want to see the game.

I start with a couple of negatives. I think these games are meant to be funny; I don’t think it’s funny at all. 

I watched videos saying you can play this game without playing the others and still understand it and enjoy it. This is true, but this game feels like it’s made for nostalgia. Every turn there’s a reference. This game is enjoyable but this is definitely a game made for fans, which is not me

I’ve reached part 4 of 5 though and I am quite enjoying it. Even if I don’t really know what I’m enjoying about it. Even though I have no nostalgia and don’t find it funny, which are it’s 2 key points. I’m enjoying watching it unravel. Also never playing a point and click game before it’s novel just to play through it.

The puzzles are fun to figure it out and the characters are silly and enjoyable. 

One thing that wowed me is playing this game on the OLED Switch. I don’t think I’ve played a game better suited to this screen. The colours, the contrast, the blacks, the movement, the children’s storybook look of the game. Add in headphones and it’s really something and legitimately wowed me. Not the best looking Switch game, but the most suited game I’ve played in the OLED. If you’ve got one don’t miss this game on it. 

Overall though I would say I like it but don’t love it. It’s light hearted and pleasant, looks incredible on the OLED Switch, and for a first point and click game it’s quite a novel and charmingly experience. However I can’t help but think I’ll never enjoy this game the way others do because I don’t have the history or enjoy it’s humour 

• 4 weeks later...

Moved into my new apartment, set up my PC so finally started this on Steam. First impressions are great so far. These guys in their modern form as Terrible Toybox have already made an excellent traditional point and click adventure in Thimbleweed Park, so I’m glad in a way that they have modernised the art style for this. It looks lovely, reminiscent of Broken Age. Kudos to the artists who worked on this game. In general, everything about the game is high quality, including the music and the voice acting.

The sense of humour is as whimsical and silly as ever. One line that made me laugh was “In life there are no guarantees or warantees, only jamborees.” Something like that!

About an hour in. So far, so good.

On to Act 2 now.

The game has a very useful built in hint system that asks you what you’re stuck on, then gradually feeds you clues so that you can solve that problem.

I got stuck on these bits:

Spoiler

I didn’t realise that you could swap the box of bird food with the key maker to get her to give you the crackers. I had tried feeding the parrot directly in the shop but I never thought of giving her the box.

I didn’t realise that you were supposed to give the Forgiveness Frog to Carla, mostly because I visited the voodoo shop before meeting Carla and I had forgotten all about it by that point. I think if the order had been reversed I might have seen the connection.

On we go!

• 2 weeks later...

Finished, after about 11-12 hours. The game itself is a fun trip down memory lane, with lots of recurring characters and musical themes that strongly recall the music from the earlier games. Sound is probably one of the highlights of this game, the music and voice acting are just excellent.

As a game, Thimbleweed Park is probably slightly more impressive in how it has this dazzling web of puzzles that all converge - Return to Monkey Island has a little bit of that (especially in Act 4), but on the whole you get the sense that they wanted everyone to see the ending of the game (and the in-game hint book helps). 

It’s a nice ending. I didn’t actually play the original games until the remasters came out on Steam, but I did get a copy of Escape from Monkey Island for my 10th birthday that I couldn’t play because our PC didn’t have a 3D graphics card. So I had to imagine what it was about. Which ties in in a kind of nice way with the ending of this game.

I would say a rock solid 8.5/10.