passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

DisturbedSwan

Fired this up last night to give it a spin before the demo times out. 

Safe to say I'm really impressed with it so far, didn't really want to put it down when I came to the end of my session but got dragged off the TV as the Wife said Dinner was ready. It's very much a Souls-like and there's Nioh's DNA running through it, even things like the menus, inventory, sounds when you pick things up and all that jazz are ripped straight from Nioh. It also takes a lot of inspiration from Sekiro, if you time a parry just at the right time it does a Mikhiri Counter type thing where you stab the enemy for massive damage, movement also feels similar to Sekiro in that you can jump about and dodge like a manman without really running out of stamina. There's a much faster more actiony Bloodborney type pace to the combat then the likes of Nioh and Dark Souls. 

It says it's a work in progress but on PS5 it looks and runs like an absolute dream already, didn't encounter any bugs or performance issues, runs absolutely buttery smooth and looks magnificent. If you've got both consoles the XBX version seems borked so download it on PSN and you'll be away. 

I don't really think it's doing too much to innovate but the combat feels great, the environments are typically Nioh/Souls along with the Ninja/Samurai-esque looking enemies. One area where they're trying something different is the levelling, every enemy has a level above their heads, killing a lot of enemies levels you up which you then need to lock in at a bonfire (flag) or you can lose all those levels if you're defeated. Throughout the entire demo I got up to Level 10 then got my arse handed to me by some Tiger-thing and went down to Level 6 which I then need to build up again to face it again whenever I get round to it.

Very impressive though technically, and a whole ton of fun, doesn't do too much to innovate in the already crowded Souls-like genre but this is one of the best I've played (as was Nioh). 

186E21F5-94A6-4443-90F4-0FDE823B2408.jpeg

I was watching Max play this

It looks like really great, stylish combat in a really basic Souls game. Also seems like it’s going to take people all of 2 minutes to figure out busted builds. Which is good!

I don’t really understand the morale system. Maybe it makes more sense after some time. 

But looks pretty cool overall. Next year is really busy so not sure if I’ll actually get to it but it does look very good. 

16 hours ago, Maf said:

I don’t really understand the morale system. Maybe it makes more sense after some time. 

I didn't fully get it either but the more people you kill the higher your rank, which you can then 'bank' at a bonfire but this doesn't mean if you die you won't go back to a previous level, you'll go back to a higher level than you were before but not necessarily the same one as before you died.

• 5 months later...
11 hours ago, Nag said:

Well the first boss is a complete cunt I'll give it that.

Hearing a lot that’s actually one of the hardest bosses in the game. Or it’s designed to force you to learn the mechanics a in such a way it feels like it’s easier after that. 

Yeah, read pretty much the same... I'll spend a few hours Sunday grinding levels and retrying but I'll fuck the game off if that's unsuccessful. Didn't cost me anything after all.

Team Ninja stuff is really about the mechanics, even in an 'easier' (?) game like this one. They don't fuck around, and can be pretty miserable at times if you're not into getting slapped until you press the buttons the right way. No shame in fucking the game off, that's what I did with Nioh (tho I think I'll try it again soon)

It's not like Elden Ring

mfnick's post reminded me of this guy

Ninja_Gaiden_Sigma.Screenshots.17.jpg

34 minutes ago, retroed said:

It'll have cost you the most valuable resource. Time.

Alright Aristotle...

I do think it's a fucking stupid way to open a game, by basically gatekeeping it off with dumbass two stage boss fight. It's not like Elden Ring and Margit, with that you had a massive chunk of area to go play in and level up... in this it's a poxy little area with around 12 enemies to mop up.

We'll see tomorrow how much of the most valuable resource I'm willing to give it.

• DisturbedSwan changed the title to Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty

I've made a little progress on this today, I'm up to the end of the third main mission (not met the boss yet) fought a couple decent bosses on the second level, a Gorilla looking thing which took a good 7 or 8 tries and a Demonic Boar which I beat first time round.

So far I'm finding it fairly manageable, my biggest complaint is the lack of a decent map which I miss loads tbh. I like having the npc companions as the breathing space these provide is such a welcome relief from the ridiculously aggressive enemies these games always have.

The other thing that always gets me on these style games is how to distribute stats on your character, mainly in this I'm sticking with the Wood and Earth Virtues (health and equipment load) as I want to be as tanky as possible.

Gave this a go in my eternal struggle to find a game that grabs my attention for more than a couple of hours. Something about it is definitely tickling my dopamine receptors.

I've explored the first little training area, (repeatedly) fought and (eventually) defeated a boss, and now I'm exploring a region with a Dynasty Warriors character in tow. I like the fact that - at the minute, at least - it's not hugely open. That there's a fair bit of linearity with nothing more than Route A, Route B choices right now. Combat is fun, nice and uncomplicated but with plenty of room for depth. 

If that first boss is the major difficulty spike I'll be quite happy to flounce about in this world for a bit, but let's see.

I've had a couple more spikes since my last post but nothing more than taking three or four attempts rather than one.

I like the fact you can change the way your armour looks in this, it's one if my bugbears when your forced to wear something that looks shit just because it has the best stats.

I still have absolutely no idea what's going on with the story though... it's nonsense.

38 minutes ago, Nag said:

I like the fact you can change the way your armour looks in this, it's one if my bugbears when your forced to wear something that looks shit just because it has the best stats.

Yeah I hate it too when you have to walk around looking like a gimp just because it's the armour with the highest stats, you can change the way it looks in Hogwarts Legacy too as an unrelated side note.

Now that I’ve finished Ishin I’ve started this too. Must be one of those games that just clicks with me (I do love a good parry after all) as I beat the first boss relatively easily. 

So far I’m really enjoying it. Not put much time in yet, just beat the 2nd boss, got the shittier divine beast ability and planted my flag after a big hammer dude. Feels good, I’m impressed with the animation and attack variety across weapons. The levelling up is giving me huge anxiety that I’m doing it wrong as is always the case in these games though. 

It’s really fun to play, now that I’ve figured out how the spirit mechanic works I’m a big fan already. The parrying is great too. However I can’t help but compare it to Sekiro and it’s just not even in the same league in regards to the satisfaction and how cool it makes you feel. Im including the swordplay in that as well. Might be. Bit harsh comparing it to one of the best games ever made but that was years ago, they should have been able to mimic that better by now. 

That’s not stopping me enjoying it a lot though, most of all I didn’t want to stop playing and I’m looking forward to jumping back in which is always a good thing. 

7 minutes ago, mfnick said:

The levelling up is giving me huge anxiety that I’m doing it wrong as is always the case in these games though. 

Pretty certain you can respec at a certain point at no cost... which is nice.