passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

mmmark

Full disclosure I’ve only played 30 minutes of actual gameplay as my eyelids weighed about 500lb.

I really like the style of it and opening. Once you’re set free to play you’re pleasantly set up for revenge.

The next gen (playing on XSX) has proper elevated this game from past entries. It looks gorgeous but most impressive of all is the draw distance, amount of vegetation and that it is all crisp and clear to boot.

Gameplay is how you’d expect from a far cry, or any half decent fps really. The machete is nice and lethal for stealth plays. I’ll be making good use of that. It was real fun to have my own personal alligator run alongside me.

I look forward to diving back in.

• 1 month later...

Such a strange thread for such a high profile release. Did no one play it?

Well, I've bought in on sale and was thinking of it being my October RPG. (Just tidy a few things up on my current Skyrim run). I played the one set in America a few months ago and really liked it. And I've read some enthusiastic reviews of this, especially about Esposito's involvement.

I dunno. Weird that it's thread here consists of @mmmark's first 30 minutes.

2 hours ago, Nag said:

And I'm all out of love with Ubisoft's output full stop.

I'm pretty much the same to be honest, I only care about AC. I guess new Splinter Cell will get my interest in the 8 years or so they take to get it out the window, likewise with the Avatar game.

6 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

and I'm offended that bellow calls far cry a rpg 🤮

Well I played the American one and it felt like an RPG to me. I'm sure at one point I even had to collect 5 skunk skins to make a potion. 

How more RPG can you get.

I have played more than 30 minutes since btw. But it’s exactly how you’d expect it to be besides it wanting to force you to use certain rounds against types of enemies which I’m not really down for tbh. The UI is a bit shit too. Serviceable but could be better.

• 2 weeks later...

I played more today and unlocked the disabled dog. Yes you read that right. The first pet you get is an alligator which I never really got on with. It just kept wondering off and needed reviving. They have upgrades apparently, I don’t recall seeing that screen.

Chorizo sounds much better as he distracts enemies for stealth and seeks out materials. Who’s a good boy!

image.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Finally managed to park my Skyrim playthru (after about 90 hours) and make a long planned start on this, although my plans have all turned to shite because of Skyrim as I was meant to be playing the remaster of Alan Wake around Halloween. 

Still, there you go. Anyway, I couldn't get into this for the longest time. My stealth approach didn't seem to be working, and I could hardly take a few hits before the game over screen beckoned. The game felt off to me, and I considered throwing in the towel.

A little persistence paid off though. A couple of upgrades later and I'm bringing the pain to Gus's regime like a pro. I've also nabbed an insane fighting Cockerel as my number one amigo and stories of our bloodthirsty exploits are now filling the Caribbean airwaves. 

Yes, I'm now enjoying the island and it's many treasures and secrets. It's like a little digital holiday in the sun, only with a higher body count than when I was in the Costa Brava a couple of weeks ago. Slightly.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a levelling system in this but I'm not sure how it actually works. I don't know if getting a new level just gives you access to better gear in stashes and treasure, or if you actually get stronger and more durable like a normal RPG. 

I'm thinking it might actually be both. I'm tearing around like a tazmanian devil at the mo, and I have a rifle (from a multi level 'Yaran story' that's so powerful it's making me feel a bit sorry for Gus's white suits. I also have a one headshot killing bow and have ditched my bloodthirsty cockerel amigo for a supernatural black panther who can make enemies dissolve into mystical flames. Cool. Although I wasn't really expecting magic in a far cry game.

I've also chanced upon what I'm assuming is a piece of DLC. Was invited to an underground bunker and told I wouldn't be able to leave until the story was concluded. I had a feeling I was getting into a survival horror set up, and backed out with a close previous save. Looks good but I wasn't sure I was ready to commit to that just now.

I love it.

• 2 weeks later...

Beat this last night and really enjoyed my time under the Carribbean sun. There was so much to do, and I did so much that the endgame was actually a bit of a pushover.

I think the sub bosses were a little bit more memorable in the last one. I still think about that crazy drug kiss-blowing siren from 5. In 6 they were all a bit clichéd, the 'Mengele' doctor type and so on. 

Also I think this played a bit differently from the others in that close quarters stealth was a bit daunting. For silent kills I went with a bow for the most part, but even then the enemy would run for the alarm at the merest hint of trouble, and then all hell would break loose. Bottlers!

Can't fault Esposito. He really is a class act, and even a facsimile of him can bring the scares. I thought the ending was a bit off though, unless there's a 'good' ending that I didn't unlock. But I don't go looking for stuff like that. I prefer to take the game as it comes and roll with the punches. 

All in all an excellent and eminently replayable adventure.

A lot of the improvements to the base game, multiple loadouts and changing ammo type on the fly, were already in place when I played it this month. Might be why I had a better experience than some who played the game at launch. 

As for this expansion. I wasn't expecting sci-fi, and I'm not sure I'm interested. The little Stranger things episode in the main game didn't do much for me tbh.