passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Time Extension

merman1974

Great stuff !

Is there a breakdown of C64 Disk Only games - even the recent RetroGamer feature (Iss 229) on C64 games didn't show which games were disk only (or perhaps comment on any differences between disk and cassette versions). IIRC there were games like Magic Candle and other RPGs that didn't get a cassette release. 

I'm not sure even if C64 had some cartridge only games too (esp. at the top & tail of its lifespan esp. around the release of C64GS - maybe they were bundles of already released games, did the GS even get any original content) ?

4 hours ago, shinymcshine said:

Great stuff !

Is there a breakdown of C64 Disk Only games - even the recent RetroGamer feature (Iss 229) on C64 games didn't show which games were disk only (or perhaps comment on any differences between disk and cassette versions). IIRC there were games like Magic Candle and other RPGs that didn't get a cassette release. 

I'm not sure even if C64 had some cartridge only games too (esp. at the top & tail of its lifespan esp. around the release of C64GS - maybe they were bundles of already released games, did the GS even get any original content) ?

In that list, Defender of the Crown and Maniac Mansion were disk only. The original Bard’s Tale got a cassette release but the majority of big RPGs were disk only.

The GS got around 50 cartridges released between 1990-1992. There were a couple of rereleases (including the 4-game pack it came with) but the cartridge-only games were pretty good (Pang, Navy Seals, Battle Command, Shadow of the Beast).

In recent years the company RGCD have produced many new cartridge games, the majority playable on the GS as well.

The only C64 cart I had was the International Soccer one, and the 'closest' I had to a disk drive was that Codemasters 30 Game Bundle that came on an audio CD that you hooked up via the headphone socket of your hifi to C64.

Wow, didn't know they released so much for the C64GS, I thought it died pretty quickly (like the Amstrad GX4000 from the similar era).