passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Xenoblade Chronicles 3

bellow

Maybe I be talking mad shit too quick again because I ended up playing for 5 hours today, got to chapter 3, and had a really great time playing it. 

I’ve opened up more combat mechanics and it’s making more sense to me. Well, I always knew the type of combat system it was with jobs, job roles, team synergy, etc. But I spent extra time looking through the mechanics, tutorials and playing around with the team. 

I still think I’m at a point in the game where it doesn’t really matter too much. But I’m trying my best to understand it at least. 
I have no issue with how busy the screen is and seeing what’s going on. I’m just having trouble understanding what every one is doing in a fight. I know what their skills/stats/roles are and how they’re set up, but in the mix of it, because I only control one character at a time, I just don’t know how to coordinate people because I have no idea where they’re at in terms of cool-downs, tactics, etc. Sometimes my attackers are pulling agro, my defenders are dying and I dunno why my healers are doing. Yet we pull through. It’s not satisfying.

The rest of the gameplay is really nice though. Rolling around big environments, finding collectibles, exploring the zones. The music in this game is also really great which makes it easy to just run around and see what there is to see.

I also do like the story and the characters except for the part where the dialogue in this game is absolute shit. I’ve played some JRPG’s in the past where the characters talk nonsense, say really dumb things, do a lot of anime grunt and gasp sounds when talking. But this is right up there with some at times just incomprehensible bullshit. Particularly the bad guys. They’re terrible.

But, it’s doing basic anime/JRPG teen and teamwork shit and it’s working on me, I can’t lie. The cutscene at the end of the cave was ridiculous but I was really getting in to it and thought it was cool.

Not all the story is great. Pretty much anytime the game has a flashback I find myself tuning out, but the main part of it I’m enjoying. 

Thankfully the Switch battery died which got me to stop playing. I’ve got things to do today and I just spent the best part of it playing this, not being able to put it down. 

The combat is annoying me. I hate not understanding things. But I’m enjoying this game all the same. I had another really good time with it today

That’s it I’m in love with the game. This is so good.

The thing I’m enjoying the most is the gameplay. I love levelling up my classes, I love exploring and finding cool rewards, I love experimenting with the builds and learning more about the game. The thing I’m wrapping my head around the most right now is chain attacks. I think my highest damage combo is 110,000-120,000 so far. It’s a really smart system.

In fact I’m starting to think that all the way down. The way this game is unfolding with classes, sub classes, combining skills from each, and how many systems go in to a lot of it. Like there’s one healer sub class where the special moves charge up on each auto attack, so I started to give that sub class a gem that speeds up auto attack so they can start getting to the heal spell faster and things like that.

Honestly not even sure if it’s working. But I’m having better and better success so I guess it is?

That’s still the only problem with the combat system is that - are these strategies working, or am I just over levelled so it’s easy? Not sure, but still have fun tinkering with stuff.

Think I’m 23 hours in and still in chapter 3. I’ve had such a good time exploring, doing side quests, finding areas, getting cool loot, beating tough monsters/mini bosses in the field. My current main quest has a recommended level of 17 and my party is now level 31. I’ve just had such a good time playing the game.

Looking at how much more there is to find I could be playing this forever. Which I don’t want to do but there’s so much to find and do in this game. Very little of it is vital. Like I don’t think you really need every character to master every class (And when they start levelling past level 10 I will stop that) but it’s just really fun, dude. 

In fact I’m having such an amazing time with this game I’m starting to think about giving XC2 another chance. 

I dunno. This is a long game and the way I’m playing it by spinning off in all directions and not going forward, maybe I’ll get tired of it. It is highly repetitive. But right now I’m just in it and all about it. Just having so much fun. 

God damn Switch battery keeps dying on me 😭

2 hours ago, Maf said:

My current main quest has a recommended level of 17 and my party is now level 31.

You've answered your own question.

For all the strategies available the game is very level focused. I tried a boss 1 level under and died, then went back with the same strategy 1 level over and won.

But hey, if you like it you like it. I liked 2. So there it is. And I recall you couldn't get a grip on FF12, which is by far my favourite JRpg 

I dunno. I just handedly got through a fight with 3 level 30+ something monsters, all stronger than my team, and one of them was a mini boss. So somethings working.

Getting the hang on chain attacks is key. I’ve learned to always start the first wave with 4 characters and ensure get to 150% bonus damage because every time a round gets over 150% 2 characters come back for the next round. This is how you break 100k damage. 

Although for some reason my chain attacks stop at 4 rounds even if I’ve definitely got characters left to keep going. Not sure if that’s just the limit or there’s a trick to go further

Mans acts like I couldn’t do FF12 if I wanted too lol 😝

On 13/08/2022 at 14:45, Maf said:

The rest of the gameplay is really nice though. Rolling around big environments, finding collectibles, exploring the zones. The music in this game is also really great which makes it easy to just run around and see what there is to see.

I also do like the story and the characters except for the part where the dialogue in this game is absolute shit. I’ve played some JRPG’s in the past where the characters talk nonsense, say really dumb things, do a lot of anime grunt and gasp sounds when talking. But this is right up there with some at times just incomprehensible bullshit. Particularly the bad guys. They’re terrible.

But, it’s doing basic anime/JRPG teen and teamwork shit and it’s working on me, I can’t lie. The cutscene at the end of the cave was ridiculous but I was really getting in to it and thought it was cool.

yeah i agree these are the bits i'm enjoying/not enjoying too.

6 hours ago, Maf said:

Although for some reason my chain attacks stop at 4 rounds even if I’ve definitely got characters left to keep going. Not sure if that’s just the limit or there’s a trick to go further

the limit is 3 for normal characters, you can do a 4th round if you use a

Spoiler

hero

for one round, and you can do 5 if the last one is an

Spoiler

interlink

one

Ah, well someone’s smarter than me, I didn’t catch the 4 round thing at all 😓

I don’t think I can interlink during chain attacks yet which explains why I never get to 5

Interlink is what I need to work on next. I don’t actually know how to level that up in a fight. I need to read the tutorial box again 

2 hours ago, Maf said:

I didn’t catch the 4 round thing at all 😓

Interlink is what I need to work on next. I don’t actually know how to level that up in a fight. I need to read the tutorial box again 

i barely understood anything from the tutorials the game shows you (although there maybe some better ones hidden in the menus somewhere?) i read/watched a few combat guides.

you level up the interlink by doing 

Spoiler

Fusion arts - the ones you hold the trigger to do when the matching art on the right(buttons) and left(dpad) are both ready

Shame you didn't get on with it @bellow but I personally would've given it a bit more time before throwing in the towel.

I'm still making super slow progress really compared to the rest of you, I'm only playing an hour a night in bed so I'm about 11 hours in on Chapter 2. Still really enjoying it so far, still not sure what is so confusing about the combat, seems very simple to me really. I will say though that the new role reversal stuff that's been introduced has gone over my head a bit, I've just stuck with the mandated swaps from the main quest tutorial really and not branched out. 

Cooking has just been introduced too, as an idea of where I am. Need to try to find some more time to play more but too much good stuff on TV at the moment.

My team is so overpowered. I reached a point in the story where the characters were like “This way is dangerous, we should go the other way”. To reinforce that all the enemies in front on the dangerous path were now level 45+, where take two steps back and the enemies were level 22. 

But it didn’t work at all the high level enemies are just fuel for my machine. My characters had a slight struggle when they were level 39, but now they’re all level 41. Add to the fact that at level 40 a bunch of extra customisation stuff opens so I can use 3 gems and 3 master skills instead of 2 so my team are stronger still!

I’m going to keep pushing the way it doesn’t want me to go just to see what happens. 

The other thing is my characters are cranking through their job classes and most have only 1 or 2 classes left to learn. I really need to find some attack classes because I’ve just got a team of indestructible defenders and healers. 

I really hope the game doesn’t work like this. But on the character stats screens there’s only a certain number of squares that shows what skills a character can learn. But mine are almost full and I haven’t got a 25% of the classes yet. I assume I can learn all the skills because why not. But looking at the stats screen it looks like everyone can only learn 1 more and they’re done. Surely not.

I thought the combat system in this game was super smart. And I still think that. But I just had a bit where I tried to give my character an extra AoE buff skill and a message popped up saying “You can’t set any more field skills”. What. BotW and Hades have really effected me. I don’t like it when games tell me “No, you can’t do that”, especially when there’s no real reason for it. You should be able to stack things on top of things as long as it’s within the rules of the game. 

So I still think the combat system is smart and fun to play around with, but the fact it’s got so mashy and easy, and then finding arbitrary limits makes me value it less

Nearly 40 hours in and still in chapter 3 lol. The thing I know about these games is the areas get bigger the further you get in to them as well. I’m going to have to mainline this game for a while and try harder to just get through it.

Current status

Spoiler

FaesO-bUEAA05vF?format=jpg&name=large
FaesO_DVEAM2e4d?format=jpg&name=large

Might have over done it a little.

Speaking of which check this chain attack damage. I’m getting good at this now

FaesduZUsAAvwJl?format=jpg&name=large

This game can look pretty good as well (relatively speaking). Much better than how it looks in the beginning. Some tourist photos

Spoiler

Faes6z_UcAA-ZUB?format=jpg&name=large
Faes6z8UUAEa6am?format=jpg&name=large

Faes6zxUcAA91hb?format=jpg&name=large
FaetCIFUUAAPJQE?format=jpg&name=large

FaetCITUIAAU-1V?format=jpg&name=large
FaetCIGUUAAl7pA?format=jpg&name=large

I will probably take a break from this game for a couple of days because I’m getting a bit burnt out playing so much, so quickly and knowing there’s so much further to go. But damn this game has dominated my free time all this week. It’s a really fun game. 

Finished this last night, overall it was pretty good. I really liked 2, then played 1 and thought it was just alright, 3 is inbetween those for me. In some ways its the best one, its far less dodgy/embarrassing to play! And i liked the overall story, its fun to explore, there are some great side quests. The main character is pretty dull, i ended up quite liking some of the others though. The dialogue is not good. Its mostly missing any comedy from 2, which was hit and miss but some of it i really liked, although here are some small funny bits in this. The music is good but again not as good as in 2. The combat is alright, i played on easy and by half way had over leveled using bonus xp, barely any enemies would want to fight me, stopped using bonus xp and ended up about the right level at the end. 

by the end i did just want it to be over though, took about 90 to 100 hours, too long imo, but sort of my fault too as i did some side stuff i could have left, and by the end it descends into (which i was expecting because the others do it too)

Spoiler

Anime bolocks

Wow. How fast did you complete the game. I’ve played it every day this week and only at 40+ hours. I did reach chapter 4 last night, though, so some story progress.

I think my opinion is pretty much the same as yours @spatular except by the way your post reads I’m enjoying it more. I can feel the burn out but I still keep coming back to it and playing it all the time. I just like the exploring, finding new characters, locations, etc. That’s really enjoyable to me.

What is not enjoyable is the dialogue. Fucking hell. Even the voice acting in this game is as stereotypical anime as it gets because I’m sure the actors have no idea what they’re saying, so they just do their generic anime reads at it’s so…I can’t even find the words for it or nail it down in one. It’s lots of different types of crap writing and acting happening depending on the scene. 

Side quests I’ve given up on and just started buttoning through or outright skipping them. Save me the time. When I get to my deathbed I’m sure I won’t be lying there wondering what that one NPC was moaning about in that game. So let’s speed this up a bit and find some time saves. 

I’m still liking (kind of) the main story. That part is working, a little bit. It’s still full of dribble but the big cutscenes are well done and the action is framed really well. Can be very exciting.

But yeah most things related to narrative in this game sucks super shit like I haven’t seen -sigh- in a very long time. 

But the game is good I keep playing it and coming back to it so not wholly negative. I just think the lack of good story will always hold this game back from being a truly great JRPG, because it’s a key element in these types of games 

I just watched a cutscene where the main character said 

“You mean the world is…bad? I’ve never thought of it like that before”

Oh my Christ. I have to imagine some of this is also down to the translation team. Like it can’t be this stupid in it’s original language, surely 

Still difficult to make any real judgements on this yet as I think I'm still only about 14 hours into it and have just reached Chapter 3. 

I will say though, from the little I've played so far I don't think the characters are as strong or the story as good as 2 but it's far better than 1 so far in that regard. In terms of combat it's about on par with 2 and far better than 1. Still feels like I'm in the tutorial phase as new stuff keeps being taught to me pretty much every hour, from new roles, hero quests, role swapping etc. though so still difficult to get a foot hold on it really when new stuff keeps getting thrown at me. 

I definitely like it though, I can tell you that much. I like it more than 1 already as well, as mentioned above, which is a good sign so we'll see how it goes.

I’m not sure what points or exactly how characters learn hero classes in this game, but the fact it now takes an age for them to learn one hero class where as about 20 hours ago they were cranking through them like no tomorrow makes me think it’s somehow tied to XP or CP. Which means there’s a really annoying progression imbalance when ending up over levelled. Even if lower level enemies give insignificant XP then fair enough (despite the fact at training camp I have about 35,000xp banked so I could level higher. But don’t want to make this hero level imbalance any worse)

But the fact that being over levelled impacts the rate at which characters learn new classes from heroes is really annoying. Character level and character class levels slow down - fine. But the fact that learning new classes is also taking half a dozen hours is ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, Maf said:

But the fact that being over levelled impacts the rate at which characters learn new classes from heroes is really annoying. Character level and character class levels slow down - fine. But the fact that learning new classes is also taking half a dozen hours is ridiculous.

yeah it's silly, i had the same problem, having more people on the same class helps speed it up but yeah still rubbish. it got a lot better later on after i'd stopped using the bonus xp for a while.

Ayyy finally got to an area that has monsters in the level 60-66 range so managed to grind for a couple hours and have all hero classes learned and most hitting max rank. Happier with the game again now. The most fun part is the progression so when everything just came to a halt because I was too high level it took the fun out of it somewhat. Happy to carry on and progress the game now. I’m in chapter 5 and it feels like I’ve just hit the midway JRPG story twist where everything you thought isn’t quite that. Except in this case it’s exactly what you thought all along it just took the characters 60 hours to catch up