passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon's Dogma II ​🐉​

one-armed dwarf

I really liked this write up on the game

edit perhaps minor spoilers inside, nothing I didn't already know though and I'm very spoilerphobic with this game

There's a lot of like, I dunno, weird online drama going on around this atm. Beyond the performance and MTX stuff onto moreso the generally repetitious nature of how it's structured, its putting of systemic stuff over content and backlash to this. Its extremely 'light touch' of a story (this is putting it mildly). To which I'd say having a preference for either over the other is totally understandable. I get that not everyone wants a game about noodling around a weird janky world.

To me though I guess I look at it as a Japanese version of a eurojank game. Or what if Gothic II actually had good fights against dragons, and not the weird shit they put in that game.

Capcom really need to rethink their whole MTX thing though. I still contend that the MTX integration in DMC5 did nothing to change the overall flow of that game, but its actual integration into game over screens is disgusting and egregious (naturally, I never see this screen, har har). Even if within the backlash there's a misunderstanding of how the games themselves are designed, it's really on capcom to just not be doing this shit at all in the first place. Cause whatever way you look at it is clearly meant to take those hard edges of games such as these, character action games and janky bird horse murder simulators and take the part of the audience that doesn't get on with the hostile part of how these games are designed and turn them into an additional income stream. They are doing so well with their RE-engine releases that there's no real reason they need to be doing this as well. 

I think this feeds more into the narrative of exclusive games not being worth it anymore unless you're called Nintendo. Janky bird horse murder sim launched on three platforms.

Normally I'd agree but I think in this case it's not about the numbers themselves but about a game that is very much not designed to appeal to everyone finding some success. And that is cool to see, because it's the anthesis of the AAA-approach.

(I'm aware DD isn't some super experimental artsy fartsy game, but still.)

31 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I just found it interesting Nag, guess I'll rethink sharing that next time 🙄

What?

Tbf I didn't even see your post... I was talking all the drivel about frame rate and resolution and waiting on patches... blah blah blah.

Yeah ok, fair enough. I was trying to wonder how that tweet was getting construed as pissing and moaning lol.

Like, it's a crazy outcome that a sequel to a niche as fuck game 12 years after the fact is outselling Final Fantasy, that's sort of amazing (though perhaps not for square)

You can look at it both ways, too, I suppose. FF just being 'narrowly beaten' despite having a target install base that's only roughly a third of DD's (very roughly, I admit, nobody knows PC numbers) could also be considered decent.