passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge

AndyKurosaki

Ok, so this is awesome. 

i grew up with the Turtles in the ‘90s. Spent a small fortune on the arcade games. Loved Turtles In Time, which was the second SNES game I ever played.

Scrolling beat em ups remain my favourite genre. So I was always going to be all over this.

Thankfully, it was totally worth the wait. It looks fantastic, you can tell a lot of love has gone into this. The combat is satisfying, with each character having slightly different moves. If you play through Story mode, you gradually unlock more stuff, such as extra health and lives, and abilities. 
Each level has 3 challenges, ranging from do-able (kill 3 enemies with a specific move), to “not bloody likely” (don’t get hit once). 

There’s secrets to find, which help to level up a bit faster. 

The soundtrack is pretty catchy, and I love that the voice cast for the original series is more or less present and correct. 

I’ve played a few online sessions, and the net code seems pretty stable, even with 6 players, though that can be a bit chaotic. Fairly easy to get into an online game as well, which is good. 

Trophy wise, most of them are alright, though there’s a few pretty tough ones. Not sure I’ll manage the Platinum. But I’ll definitely have a fair few online sessions. 

It’s been scoring pretty high with reviews. And it’s totally justifiable, as it’s so much fun to play.

Had a go of this in multiplayer last night, it was good fun. Like the high five to share health. Not my sort of game really so glad its on gamepass like streets of rage 4, or i wouldnt have played it. Not keen on the flying/hovering enemies mind as its difficult to tell where they are.

I've gone through the game as Raphael since he's the heavy hitter, and I sort of regret it because enemies don't have much health.  It's a pretty fast paced brawler with crowds getting cleared pretty quickly, I'd say each level takes around five minutes.  It's especially noticeable when you can get your special metre back from taunting, even when there is no enemies around so that can be exploited and special attacks are so powerful.  But there is a good variety of enemies; most of them are Foot Soldiers of different colours early on but they do have pretty different attacks and defeating them differently is the optimal way to do it (for me the spear ones were annoying until I eventually found a move that worked on them).

It's very solid and I had a good time going through it but I haven't tried any multiplayer yet, or the arcade mode and that may be something I'm willing to try to do on the hardest difficulty.  There's an achievement attached which I think would be some cool bragging rights.

It's a bit sketchy at times though.  Never had a full crash but it froze a few times for quite a long time and you can't return to the title screen from the story mode or to a character select screen so that's an annoying oversight.  I maybe would have tried out more characters if I could.

Gotta say, though, right now I don't think it's as playful with the brawling as Streets of Rage 4 so it hasn't topped that but this is a fun entry.  The reviews are funny though because if you needed any evidence that game reviewing is full of 30-something manchildren this is a solid piece 😅

That’ll be me too. I’ve just finished a pizza, started the game up and seen their game intro. As a 30-something man child I can say I’m happy already 

EDIT: Actually reverted back to unhappy I don’t like how difficult the game is. Why are side scrolling beat ‘em ups always so savage ☹️

So story mode is 2 hours long, but there's a few reasons to replay this game so that's good (But stuff like this really makes sense as a Game Pass game). 

Unfortunately I did not like it as much as I wanted too. Some of it is just inherent to the genre that I don't really like. I thought by the look of this game, the energy of the game. If I could get in to the game I could get over the type of game it is, but either it's not good enough of beat 'em ups are too annoying. 

The level challenges in this game seem fucked. Beat levels without taking damage? I could barely beat the levels without dying. I get that it takes replays and practice. But in a type of game where enemies can randomly throw out punches. Ho, ho, ho. Seems ridiculous. Seems like you need to get in a party of 3 or 4 and take it in turns with someone avoiding everything and the other 3 fighting. 

The game has lots of positives. It looks great, sounds great, nice variety of moves. I only played as Donatello but it looks like all characters have their own moves, strengths and weakness' so that's cool. I'll definitely play some more to try out the different characters and I bet the game is more fun with other people. But even as short as 2 hours it did wear thin by the end. 

I didn't really understand the level up system? Just seems the character gets stronger randomly. I didn't really get it. 

Overall nice. But a bit too long, a bit too difficult, a bit too annoying. I dunno. I like it, but didn't come close to reaching my expectations. 

Sorry I had to go quick @HandsomeDead. We can play some more later/another day if you want. Got a lot of characters to grind to max level!

What was your party problem? Did you have to reinstall the game?

Playing online is much more fun. I think the thing I dislike most about this genre is getting hit through my attacks or just randomly by something I didn’t see coming. It’s so annoying. Playing with others helps with this because everyone is helping you punch so there’s less getting interrupted and people are taking up the screen so you can focus on some enemies instead of everything.

The downside is people are just super-ing all the time so sometimes don’t get chance to really do much. But I still prefer playing with others than alone. Makes the game better.

Playing this I couldn’t help thinking I wish there were a TMNT game like the GotG game. Like better than that, but that kind of idea. 

There’s an achievement in this game for getting a 250 hit combo

How?

Getting that 250 hit trophy/achievement can be done by using April, hitting one enemy to the left side of the screen, and tapping the attack button to juggle to 250 hits. A mate showed me a video of it, but I can’t get the timing right for the life of me.

Had a quick blast on this earlier. Only done 2 story levels but seems great. Looks absolutely incredible, the animations are absolutely top notch. Feels spot on too and really responsive. A great one of those so far. 

On 19/06/2022 at 20:24, AndyKurosaki said:

Getting that 250 hit trophy/achievement can be done by using April, hitting one enemy to the left side of the screen, and tapping the attack button to juggle to 250 hits. A mate showed me a video of it, but I can’t get the timing right for the life of me.

I just figured out how to do that with Michelangelo today. His single punch attack can be a relatively easy infinite 

It's really hard to time the button press with the hit sound effect 250 times in a row so it's definitely worth grouping a bunch of purple guys together on the first level and juggle as many as you can. I couldn't juggle them all but most of the 250 string was made up of 2 bad guys which literally made it twice as "easy"

That was so intense and very annoying. The video freezes for a split second when I hit 250. That's not the video, my Xbox did that and I freaked out because I thought the achievement was 270 lol. That's why I dashed to the next screen. I was so mad like I can't believe you just fucked me like that. Then the points popped and I was like phew. No more of this shit. 

I got to level 11 with randoms. I thought we were cruising through it until I lost all my lives and it turns out you share continues. If you could get 4-5 people who knew the key was to never stop using supers this would be doable. 

I tried going on the official discord server but all I can see is fan art. I hate discord it’s so hard to use and find games with people.

Also fuck the level 3 Monster Truck boss and the Rat King boss they are super fucked up. Easily the hardest parts of the game

Arcade mode is separate so all the characters are maxed out except you only get one super meter. 

3 of us doing it would be fun. We could get joined by randoms as well to help out but ideally we could do with more than 3. Hard mode is very hard.

The only thing I’d say is bosses need practice and for people to cover each other with their supers.

I’m up for it if HD is.

EDIT: Also when I was playing earlier this happened and it made me like the game so much more

FWNtoEKWAAc2MIr?format=jpg&name=large

Turtle power look at that shit. Was so cool playing with the whole team