passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

E3-like thread - All the updates and shows

mmmark

I like the idea of Starfield, I basically skipped Skyrim and Fallout 4 cause the formula burnt me out by Fallout 3. But a cool deeply systemic space exploring base building spaceship building thing will be a big hit and people are nuts if they think it wouldn't be. 

I guess my ideal here tho would be something a bit more focused in the way Subnautica is, which is purely about building up bases and resources to go deeper. If this game has that level of detail put into its space sim stuff I think it could really be something. But they spend a lot of time showing some Fallout 3 action there, so that stuff has to be as uninvasive and inoffensive as possible

If you guys watching this are into what's been shown, consider checking out Subnautica cause it's a game which tries to go for this type of thing but underwater imo, and without terrible shooting

I grant them the dog fighting looks cool but the typical on the ground stuff just looks like Fallout 4. Also if the game is that big it must be copy and paste as fuck. They do that enough in their small games. 

EDIT; Oversll I thought the show was so-so. The problem for me is all the coolest stuff you need to get friends for or is in 2023. Neither is soon for me. 

I liked what they showed of Starfield up until the point where they mentioned 100 planets. There's no way there's meaningful content in there, just filler stuff or animals running around with buggy animations etc. If it's focused enough to be enjoyable by going through the main mission and factions quests then all will be good, but I can already see this being a case for less is more.

Overall I think it looks really promising and as Skyrim was the last Bethesda game I played I don't share your fatigue with the formula.

Also get ready for them to re-sell that game for a decade à la Skyrim because this will never, ever make back its production cost on its initial release.

Yeah the trick is to find a way to procedurally generate that stuff so that it doesn't feel like filler and makes exploring the galaxy have this interesting 'friction' and sense of unique discovery to it that bland procedural content usually does not.

I'm in the mood for this type of stuff, after binging Mass Effect and TNG. So they have a chance to win me over at least, not that any of the skepticism here is unwarranted but these are the only AAA studios I think who can manage to build a game with this level of scope (even with the jank)

Not into it if it's No Man's Sky though

Also, yeah, overall this was a bit lacklustre but mostly because there was no new announcement that really blew me away. There were some known quantities like Plague Tale, Flintlock and Diablo that I'm really looking forward to and some smaller new announcements like Cocoon that looked really cool, but nothing really huge. Imagine if they hadn't bought Bethesda, what would they have shown here? Their own studios are so far behind is actually a bit worrisome.

Persona is a nice get though, I'll definitely play P3 and P5 now. 

Edit: oh, yeah, forgot about Overwatch 2. Looks good, I hope it can pull me back in. Overwatch 1 at its height was such a phenomenal game.

Really my takeaway is that it requires a minor miracle* for any game with extensive motion capture to be released in this part of the gen, cause all the actors couldn't show up cause of restrictions. I think that shows a lot with what's been shown at the moment, lots of those games are catching up on work which was simply impossible to complete until now when the restrictions all across the world got lifted.

Which given Starfield's animation quality makes it one of the lucky ones maybe, lol

*Horizon is one of these miracles, unless that was in development for a really long time before

I know it isn’t the point but the story in the new RE games is such trash with this stupid ooze stuff and whatever. RE8 was really good, and I’m not big on RE story so I guess I’m not one to comment on it, but it’s a shame the story so fucking bad. This DLC looks like it continues this

Unlucky @one-armed dwarf maybe they announce the sequel in that anniversary video. They must be doing something with DD, can’t have all this buzz and marketing for a look back at one decade old game.