passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Diablo Immortal

Maf

Ok, so some quick hits and then on to more in depth thoughts about the game. 

1. I managed to get a 256GB king size iPad so I could play the game. Total memory required (as of now) is 12.9Gbs...Good luck playing it on your phone
  2. This is my first real dive in to phone games so if I say things about quality or MTX's that sound dumb or obvious it's because I've never dealt with it

I've played the opening of the game 3 times now. First on the iPad until I hit what is basically level 2, which the game kept prompting me to create space and install but I couldn't make it work or create the space. So I jumped on the PC and tried to pick up from there but had to start from the beginning and do the tutorial bit again (I think the PC version is rubbish but more in a sec). Then I got hold of a new iPad and despite logging in with my Battle.net account neither of my previous 2 characters were selectable. It says on the website you can pick up your game, transfer stuff across from PC to mobile. But I couldn't work it out and said fuck it and played through it again.

After putting the game down I messed with some options and thought I lost my 3rd character and was like oh FFS. It took some clicking around but I found out that the characters are tied to servers. So I now have all 3 but they could have made that more obvious (Or maybe it is obvious and I'm new to these games) 

So you might think " Maf, why would you jump through so many hoops and play the beginning of the game 3 times over? Are you that stupid?" Well 1) shut up and 2) because it's really fucking good. 

The start of this game all the way up to the first real dungeon where the ability to play with others opens up is excellent. On my 3rd time I got it down to about an hour. I've played 3 character classes. Necromancer first, Monk second, Mage third. The first one is a nice balance of magic and melee and great fun. Second is all melee and I really didn't like this class. The moves weren't fun to use. Last is the Mage who has some pretty standard style but satisfying magic spells that do so much damage, the heaviest hitter of the 3. But she also takes the most damage for balance.  

What I like about this game is the pace. This game is a mover. The action is very quick, hectic and satisfying. The cutscenes are fun and cheesy but never longer than a minute. The level ups, loot, unlocks, spell upgrades come thick and fast. My 3rd character is now level 20 with 6 spells, two bits of gold gear and that took an hour. In the beginning they just throw shit at you and it's really fun and compelling. 

The maps seem a bit on the small side. I've never played real Diablo so don't know comparisons, but I would guess these are much smaller maps. The only negative for me is there's really nothing that could be called 'exploring' yet in the game. Just follow the gold foot prints from point to point and there seems very little reason to not follow it. But that works for the tablet and the game's gotta go fast attitude. Just zipping all over the place getting things done very quickly. I actually like it. Also who knows, maybe the maps get bigger after level 2. 

The combat is super simple and really fun. Just hold down one button to do standard attack and constantly click through whatever cooldown is ready to go. It's brainless, but it's good. Great animations, sound, feedback. It's just a fun thing to do. Some of the bosses maybe will call for running around and avoiding attacks. But so far you can kind of stand there and wail on fuckers and it works. 

Another thing I like is the look of the game. It looks really good. I'd say somewhere between a X360 and PS4 game. Tonnes of action can happen on screen and it performs excellently. What made me laugh is on the iPad it has a bunch of visual options. A 30fps/60fps toggle which seems to really work! 3 levels of graphics setting for shadows, effects, all this stuff. You get more options here than on most console games which is funny. It's also partly why the PC version is rubbish. Firstly because this game just plays and controls way better on tablet, that's no question for me, the touch controls are better than the M&KB controls. But also the PC version is just the mobile version with seemingly no extras or options or anything. It looks worse simply by being on a bigger monitor. Never thought I'd say this but the Apple device is the way to go if someone wanted to play this. 

The 3rd thing I like is the co-op party stuff. Very easy to get in to a party with randoms and do 4 player dungeons. The screen gets so busy, things popping off everywhere, and you get to watch these boss's health bars melt which is very fun. I really like this aspect of the game and want to do more with it. 

But

This game is MTX'd out the ass. Even though the opening bit is really slick, fast paced and fun. Just after that all these icons appear on all these menus (Or were gradually appearing everywhere until I noticed them). This is where the game starts to feel like a scam. I'm not against paying for stuff in F2P games. They have to make their money, you didn't pay for the game direct, so I understand it and despite never actually buying a MTX in any game ever - I understand it.

But the amount of fucking menus, meters, unlocks, things to be bought with currencies. I just look at it and say oh my god. What a come down. One of the things they have is a premium battle pass for a £5. See that I'm tempted to get because I like competing the missions in this game, and doing these extra meta objectives are fun. But then you can also buy a single costume for "1600 purple blobs" which according to the store = £21 😵

Are you out of your mind? That's half an actual game. For a costume. It just goes on and on too. I don't know how much of this is essential. But you can pay for gems, crafting materials, buy all your free daily rewards for a month upfront for £8.99. That's almost a tenner. For fucking crests and materials and coins and shit. 

Going by some Google searches the grind kicks in pretty hard at around level 30 if not paying for some of the key MTX's. Honestly I find that so disappointing because this game is so much fun. I almost wish it were just a normal £50 game that I could play without all the F2P, MTX bullshit because I think the part where you play the video game is really good. The part where the video game tries to squeeze all these fucking £1's out of the player. Not so good and really undermines the whole thing. Like I said I'm tempted to buy the battle pass, but am then put off when reading just how much of a blood sucking scam this whole thing is. 

I am going to play more, to see how bad it gets for myself. Because I'm seriously enjoying playing this. MTX aside, this is a class video game. But if it really ruins itself like all the articles suggest I think I'll just start Diablo 3 on Switch instead.

I played the PC beta for a couple of hours, it's very much a streamlined Diablo experience and the UI is currently pretty much a phone UI.

It supports controllers but the mouse and keyboard option allows movement using WASD keys as well as the traditional clicking method. This is a first for me in a Diablo game and it was great for playing a ranged character, making it much easier to move around while still attacking.

😆 Ridiculous

this has become my disappointment game of the year. I wasn’t even looking forward to it or paying attention to it, only tried it on a whim. It immediately got it’s hooks in me and I was blown away by how good it is. But the more I learn about it, watched some YT videos on it, and now that article above. Wow. I went from no interest, to really liking it, to man fuck this shit. I think I’ll just start D3 next week instead. According to what I saw it has all the same character classes and pretty much all the same moves and powers and such.

Separate all the MTX and shit and just talking about the part where you play the game, this would have cruised on to my GotY list. But all the shit that comes with it. 

Hopefully when MS buy Activision they can readjust the game or make a Gamepass version and strip the bullshit out of it. But for now I think fuck this game. What a shame

I played some more of this. Maybe up to about 8-10 hours or something now. I finally hit the point in the game where to progress your character needs to be level 35. This is the thing I read about which really kills the flow of the game.

But that didn’t happen to me at all. I was level 33 when I got to it. I thought here we go. I just went and cleared the 4 bounties I had on me, jumped in the menu and claimed all my XP rewards for completing objectives. Level 35. Continued the game. Took about 20 minutes.

It’s definitely the first time I had to stop doing the main missions. Up to that point it’s been continuous with no break in the main path. Which I’ve pretty much stuck too and not done much side stuff at all. I’ve tried each new thing the game has introduced as they’ve appeared. Rifts, bounties, etc. But apart from that I’ve just bounced from main quest to main quest. Makes me think whoever wrote the article I read didn’t understand the codex page and how to claim XP.

One of the things I’m not liking about the game right now is the gameplay is starting to wear thin. I don’t even listen to most quest givers. I speed read the text box, skip the actual dialogue, follow the way point, kill whatever’s there. It’s both addictive and repetitive. I’d like it more it were more involved, I felt more involved, or the game had something to make me care about what I’m doing. I still like doing it. It’s still really fun to play. But all the running around, talking to people, it doesn’t seem to really matter so is a bit shallow.

Yet if my IPad wasn’t completely dead I’d still be playing it. I’m starting to feel guilty because everyone says the game is bad but I really, really like it. It’s so shallow and sort of an empty calorie video game. Run from point to point, spam the powers, rinse and repeat. But there’s no strategy, or thought, or skill involved. It’s the opposite of an enriching game. But still addictive and super fun.

Maybe this is a reference just for me but playing this game is like grinding teeth. You know it’s bad but you don’t stop. 

• 2 weeks later...