passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Vampire Survivors

DANGERMAN

I'm sure this will come to everything at some point, but at the minute I think it's PC only. A couple of months back it seemed to be being played round the clock by various streamers, there was a lot of hype for a simple, cheap (currently less than £2) rogue-like, but it's actually worth all the talk (and definitely worth that price)

It's a very simple concept, you control the movement of your character, more or less top down, you're either avoiding swarms of enemies or hunting them down, looking for breakables for money, health, or a couple of the special items. You do not control your attacks

Instead your attacks just trigger on a cool down. You start with 1 attack, for the first character this is a whip, others might have fireballs or lightning that strikes in random locations. As you kill enemies they drop experience orbs, pick that up to level up, when you to you then pick a new perk, which can mean new weapons (it can also mean movement speed, cool down on your attack (this is hugely important later in I find), increasing your base attack power or luck), so you could add lightning to your skill set too, or you could increase the level of the whip, so rather than just hitting in front of you, it now whips behind you too, then it does more damage, then it has more range etc 

As you kill things there's a chance for extra rewards and gold, the gold leaves the level stage with you, so then you can increase your base stats by buying things like improved gold or experience gain, lower cool down, some health recovery, better base damage, and so on; which ultimately means you'll last longer, which means you'll earn more money

There's extra weapons to unlock by completing various missions (things like surviving 10 minutes with one of the extra characters), new characters, weapons can be evolved. Basically, there's always something to be working towards which keeps you playing, although of the new characters I've unlocked, I still prefer the 1st character and do tend to just aim for the same build, and on that note, you can only have so many weapons and so many attribute improvements per run, which is a bit of a shame later on, but it means you could have all the random attack spells and leave yourself without anything for if enemies get in close if that's the choices you make

It's such a compulsive little game. I bought it at about midday yesterday, and didn't stop playing it until I ordered some food at about 7, then I went back to it. I've got to the "end" of a couple of stages, where I can no longer improve my character and am instead getting money or health recovery as I level up, where I can just stand still and enemies die before they reach me because I'm throwing out so much damage. Eventually though something happens that means you're not going to survive for much longer. That's kind of a shame, but I suppose it's to stop you from completely breaking the game's economy

Nathan Brown linked to it on his Hit Points newsletter, or at least the free to play version on itch.io

It severely affected my productivity for a couple of weeks. Then it was mentioned in EDGE magazine’s previews. The developer sounds very down to earth and surprised it became such a breakout hit in Early Access.

• 3 months later...

I've been back on this over the weekend. There's a new level and a new bonus level since I last played, with a couple of coffins. One of which has a bit of a trick to find, but it's a cool character you get as a reward

There's also now these 4 new items. A gold ring, a silver ring, and two opposite satanic symbols. I'm not entirely sure what to do with them, I know the silver ring is worth picking up, whereas the gold curses you. However a couple of them hint to use them with the ice cannon (it seems to me anyway), but it didn't seem to do anything when I paired them so who knows, there's clearly a secret to them.

As an aside, I've been playing it on the Steam Deck and considering how simple it looks, it tanks the frame rate in the end game. There's so much going on, and while there's a lot of sprites I think it's more a CPU issue. Maybe it's something that will be improved as we get closer to 1.0

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i've had a few goes at this now, didn't like it when i first played it, second go i quite enjoyed it, 3rd go and i was back to not liking it, but more because how slow leveling up seems to be. it's taking ages to get gold for permanent upgrades - any tips for getting more gold? wonder if progress has been slowed since original launch, or i'm rubbish/picking the wrong stuff. it's good to play while watching/listening to other stuff. and if you have garlic it's probably the best i've done in a game while falling asleep.

Yeah I like the garlic. I've heard people say it's rubbish later on but it makes the early levels easier to level as you kill bats. 

In terms of money, honestly I don't know other than picking the item that increases your gold. Getting the chests helps a lot because it's probably 100+ gold guaranteed. Eventually if you max out all your pick ups you start getting gold instead. Oh, obviously target the lamps or whatever drop coins.

You'll end up earning more because you last longer. Also I've played it loads and loads and didn't have everything for ages. I still don't because I don't want some of it. I've got enough for the characters I think. But yeah, I definitely had runs where I didn't earn enough to get what I wanted after it

^ thanks for the tips!

5 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

picking the item that increases your gold.

is this a pickup or the permanent unlock one? ive got some of the permanent ones but not seen a pickup for it so guess i haven't unlocked it yet. yeah i'll have to go after the lamps, i've been leaving them for when i get low on health. had another go tonight still getting barely any gold on most runs, occasionally i'll get loads mind.

There's a perk as a pick up that does it. I'm not sure it's worth it over having healing and defence to last longer and earn more.

Like I said, as you upgrade you'll last a bit longer, which averages out to more money

Also do you know you can combine weapons/perks? Certain items can be maxed out with another, then when you next get a chest you'll get a replacement, more powerful weapon. Things like when that weapon damages enemies you get health back

i didn't know about the weapon combine thing as i hadn't leveled any weapon up enough because i keep picking new weapons instead of leveling up existing ones, think thats the main thing i was doing wrong, had a look at a guide that said just stick to a few weapons and level those up, so had a few goes where i stuck to 3 weapons and did a lot better.

• 1 month later...

This is mint! I really wasn’t sure if I’d like it but gave it a go since it’s on Xbox and GP now. I’m loving it. It’s simple and shallow but pure fun & to say how visually basic it is the effects really hit. Great sfx too. Hard to describe just how satisfying it is when youre just walking along laying waste to everything on screen without even pressing a single button. It’s weird but I’m all for it at the moment. 

Just unlocked the 3rd area. 

• 2 weeks later...

Still playing this, started to get bored now though. The first 10 minutes of each go is starting to really drag now. Only got 1 more base level then a couple of bonus ones to complete so think I’ll get those done then stop. 

Fab game. Think it’s slightly overhyped now though after my initial excitement. 

I’ve been playing this on mobile. Its free. It’s a fun enough experience to pass a bit of time but I can’t imagine wanting to sit down and play on the telly. I think I’m the only one playing on mobile though so there must be something to it I don’t see. 

3 hours ago, mmmark said:

I’ve been playing this on mobile. Its free. It’s a fun enough experience to pass a bit of time but I can’t imagine wanting to sit down and play on the telly. I think I’m the only one playing on mobile though so there must be something to it I don’t see. 

I am as well I'm really enjoying it

• 3 weeks later...

I just ticked over 70 hours playtime this week. I played quite regularly in early access, a few hours every couple of updates. I tailed off a bit as it reached version 1.0 and it became something of an occasional podcast game. 

I've gotten back into it in the last couple of weeks, working on the collection and unlocks. I beat the reaper who turns up at 30 minutes yesterday to unlock them as a playable character, unlocked the weird meatball-looking thing from the Gallo Tower, and unlocked a Secrets menu on the main screen. 

I bought the DLC, but haven't tried it yet.