passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gran Turismo 7

spatular

haha yeah i think i need to give it another go too. you've got pcvr right? that would be easier if you wanted to try a racing game in vr, quite a lot support it i think, like assetto corsa, automobilista 2, dirt rally 1/2, not sure how good they are with a pad mind if that's what you'd be using, whereas yeah GT is pretty good with a pad. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rosie borrowed a PSVR2 to test out over the weekend, so I finally gave this a go after never having loaded it up before.

Listen, I never really liked GT in the past. Whether I was playing 2 (complete with the burnt rubber smelling disc), 3: A-Spec, or 4, I just completely bounced off the series. It always felt so stuffy and sterile, and when Forza launched I fully stuck with that series. 

However, trying this in VR was an incredible experience and might well have sold me on this game overall. Because I was trying PSVR for the first time, I did a few different things, including turning around in my seat while driving. I saw the entire interior. I could even lean over and look directly out of the back window. It's so weird.

The immersion is impeccable - checking mirrors as you're driving is so natural and gives that extra burst of realism (and like real life, I often forget to check my left wing mirror enough). 

Graphics are fantastic, and the racing feels so, so good with the headset on.

The only negatives I can really see that pulled me out of the experience:

- it forced me to use the DualSense pad to play, rather than the VR grips. 

- because I couldn't use the grips, every time I looked down at the racing suit my VR avatar was wearing, or any time I itched my nose, it didn't reflect on the character. So it was just a static body who was going through the motions of driving.

As for the game itself - I'm a fan. Huge, huge fan. I've wanted a decent racing sim in my life for a while now, and Forza Horizon doesn't scratch that itch. It's going to be my chillout game whenever I can get the PS over Rosie for a little while.

Can only really echo @regemond's thoughts overall that PSVR2 with this game is absolute dynamite. It is just an absolutely incredible experience, the amount of immersion and depth that it injects into the game is just absolutely insane, being able to properly judge corners, feel the undulations of a circuit as you go up and down hills and up or down through corners is just mad. I haven't played Leguna Seca yet but the corkscrew there will be absolutely bonkers I'm sure.

I'm glad someone else other than me said this was amazing as well as it won't get me in trouble with the hyperbole police lol. I pretty much agree with everything you've said, the DualSense doesn't pull me out of the game but maybe that's just me getting used to it, I much prefer that solution to doing a virtual wii-mote wheel type thing with my hands in the Sense controllers anyway as that would distract me when I'm driving personally. 

One small caveat to the PSVR2 mode though is that you can't see the MFD. Most of the time this isn't an issue as it's not something you need to have when driving about (I usually have most of the HUD off anyway when I'm playing 'Flat' in cockpit view) but for endurance races that require you to monitor your fuel and set the fuel flow so you don't run out of Petrol half way through a race, it's an issue. I've been stuck on this one race at Daytona in Menu Book 41/42 or something, the first 2 attempts I ran out of fuel and couldn't really understand why I never got any notification about it, once I went back to the race settings screen I realised what the culprit was, apparently it should just be an easy right D-Pad button press to bring up the MFD that allows you to change the fuel mix but I can't get it to appear in VR. I haven't tried going into the settings via the main menus (which can be different from the in-race menu settings) and seeing if I can add it to the PSVR2 view, but it is a bit annoying that I have to do this race 'flat' otherwise I won't know which fuel mix I'm in and when I'll run out of fuel, it could just be a 'me' thing though and I haven't found the solution yet but who knows.

I was exactly the same going into this game as well, had played about an hour of 4 and an hour of 5 before bailing on them, loved GT1-3 before that but took a bit of a punt on this as it seemed like a return to form and had softened a bit in the sterility and was rewarded with a truly magnificent game that is only enhanced further with VR, making it a real triumph.

I would absolutely love a high-end wheel and chair to go along with this, it would be absolutely incredible, but yeah, money lol. Maybe if I make an OnlyFans? lol.

Yea I’m not really interested in PSVR2 & I bounced off this hard but seeing some of the footage with it in VR, it looks fantastic.

You can just tell how much better it is with the extra situational awareness it gives you and being able to look at the corner apex just looks like it’d genuinely make you better at the game.

I’d definitely want to go whole hog with a wheel set up on it though. Don’t know how I’d feel having to use a dualsense at the same time. Shame it doesn’t support the Vr controllers but definitely preferable to holding them out like a wheel. Unfortunate  it doesn’t work on Xbox where I’ve already got the setup 😂

18 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

The problem as I see it with psvr for GT is it will inevitably lead to the formation of dangerous brain worms telling oneself to buy a high end racing wheel and appropriate seat 

I said word for word "I'd love to try this with a steering wheel and pedals" while I was playing. Would be incomplete without the seat though. And maybe a full front end of a car with screens to benefit anyone watching you play.

• 8 months later...

Quite a substantial new update for gt7 last week. Looks like a bit of new content to get into somepoint. 

Have been using it to grind credits before it gets patched best of all can be done without physically having to play it. 

Makes ul for the artificially low event pay outs.