passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gran Turismo 7

spatular

2 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

haptics and tensioning triggers on the DualSense is a real game changer. I've never experienced a racing game before where the car feels so alive in your hands, only with a controller,

I really wonder if it’s my controller connection issues why I’m not getting anything near that kind of experience. Guess you’ve not played WRC 9 or 10? Wondered how it compared on yours. 

10 minutes ago, mfnick said:

I really wonder if it’s my controller connection issues why I’m not getting anything near that kind of experience. Guess you’ve not played WRC 9 or 10? Wondered how it compared on yours. 

No, not played either of those unfortunately. I think the only other racing game I've played with the DualSense is F1 2021, where the triggers are good but it doesn't have much in the way of haptics, as far as I remember anyway.

i stopped playing this, partially because waiting for the update which will give more credits, and partially because the weekly qualifying timetrial doesn't count as mileage towards the daily total and doesn't pay any money at all - that's really crap.

apparently there's a patch out to raise rewards now

edit - still no mileage/money for the weekly qualifying timetrial though so that's still crap. circuit experience has big prize money now.

had a quick go on the pad and my triggers did nothing, wonder if they're broken? fancy rumble was good though.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone's probably going to call the hyperbole police on this post, but this game is nothing less than a masterpiece from what I've played. It is one of the very best racing games I've ever played in my lifetime.

It's all down to pretty much one thing and that is the handling model, it is just absolutely phenomenal. There's no racing title past or present that has made me feel a cars weight, trajectory and movement through corners with a controller as much as this game. How all the cars weight distribution, understeer, oversteer, tyre movement over kerbs and circuit imperfections are all different from car to car resulting in them behaving wildly different to one another. 

Obviously the DualSense plays a large part in this as you can feel the car beneath you (so to speak) so much more than ever before, cars feel alive and almost challenge you to a wrestling match at times to keep them on the road. Some cars and events I can't tell you how many times I had to restart as the back went on me halfway through a corner and I stacked it into a wall. 

Completed all the National A and B licenses with a Gold medal, I might've been able to beat some of your times if I could be bothered to practice but typically I was just happy to get the Gold and move on. The Missions are a really cool addition, little fun challenges similar to the licenses but with a but more joie de vivre about them, a really fun little mode. 

I think I'm up to about Menu Book 11 or 12 from memory, all of these have been super easy so far to do but fun nevertheless. I tried my first Online Sport race (had to tune my Golf up a bit first though) the other day and it was one of the best experiences I've had in games, a super intense (no camping involved! :lol:) race where everyone was super respectful and the AI Director actually doles out penalties to folks being idiots. 

While I'm here, another thing about the game I love is the racing and brake line. I'm used to the Codemasters/Forza racing line formula but the implementation here, whilst aesthetically not as pleasing as those two competitors, is more open to your own interpretation and input. It tells you roughly where to brake and which line you need to take into and out of a corner but there's still some experimentation there, it isn't as clear cut as the competitor's interpretations of a similar concept, for me anyway.

There's something about the graphics as well. Whilst on paper the backgrounds might not be as impressive as something like a Forza Horizon, something about the game (particularly when you're in cockpit view as I almost always am) is super sharp graphically, there's that one track in the desert with the hot air balloons all over the shop with the sun setting that is absolutely glorious. No matter the track though the graphics always seem to look super vivid, vibrant and really pop with colour, the presentation is pristine. I think this is probably the best looking racing game I've ever played as well. 

So yeah, safe to say, I think this game is incredible and its by far and away my GOTY so far. I will say I haven't properly played a GT game since GT3 on PS2 but so far this is a lot better than my memories of that, I haven't played many simulation style racers lately either so that may be colouring my opinion somewhat, but yeah, it's by far and away one of the best racing games I've played. 

Pics:

Spoiler

7CF18B6C-8C5C-4433-A881-DB93277DADB9.jpeg0F555AD7-A839-4892-B633-282BB57DD177.jpeg

C16F38A6-A6CF-43E6-93B4-68B62071D3CE.jpeg

5240E050-AC4D-4580-BE32-8BAFE1C1D534.jpeg

0AEFE273-9007-4385-A3BC-D226F3EF497F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Well as expected after the initial bounty of cars and credits on the menu missions the cash flow slows right down. 

So what do you do find an exploit and credit farm. 

Running about 850k every 20mins using tomahawk on tokyo expressway. Lets hope doesnt get patched anytime soon. 

Regardless of the grind still really enjoying the game. 

^ its actually been patched once already, people found new settings in no time though :lol:

yeah ive been doing the exploit a bit while watching telly, got loads of money now, but not really been playing the game properly for a while now. Need to get back to doing the circuit experiences.

• 1 month later...

Been plugging away at this every weekend since I finished up Elden Ring. I'll tell you what, it's so nice to actually look forward to playing a game at the end of the week rather than dread it. 

I've been having such a great time with it, super addictive and fun, the feeling in the controller of driving something like a 911 GT2 through Nurburgring is just unparalleled to me, pure joy.

Went through all the menus and finished them off last weekend, didn't really struggle with any until the 600 PP and 700 PP World Touring series, the former I just about scraped a win with 4th place in the final race being enough for the overall victory thankfully. Was kind of sad they were over to be honest but then some bonus menus popped up and I still had plenty to do with all the missions, license tests and circuit experiences. 

So I restarted doing the licenses after this, I'd previously got Gold up to the International B licenses so I restarted from here and have now got all Gold in I-B, I-A and up to S-7. Have been absolutely loving doing these, just super fun, super addictive and allow you to drive a whole different array of cars, driving the Super Formula car around Leguna Seca was so damn good. I was grinning like a cheshire cat the whole time just trying to find my braking points and lines to edge closer to the demonstration ghost.

It's so easy to pick up and play as well, with the licenses, the missus fell asleep last night about 25 minutes before 'bed time' (lol) and I thought, 'fuck it, I'll get some licenses done' and I managed to finish off about 4 tests by running a little over that time. 

Once the licenses are done I'm probably going to do the 15 circuit experiences needed for the trophies and then move on to the Missions. I did have F1 22 coming on Friday but that's been cancelled as I'm just having too much fun on this and have so much more to do. 

In terms of money, I'm now sitting pretty on just over 7,000,000 credits and I've not been trying for them at all. Not spent much on cars though to be honest, usually tuning one up I already had rather than shelling out for a new one. 

I can't really fault it to be honest, it is absolute perfection. It probably helps that I've not gone through a GT Single Player mode before so this is all new to me but I honestly think it's a masterpiece. 

Just a couple of snaps of my best times in certain events: 

01417678-4261-4A76-AA4B-592ECCDCAB16.jpeg

1E285747-C559-4A15-B803-A6705F77EDDC.jpeg

Glad you enjoyed it so much.

I personally fell off really hard unfortunately. Just found the whole career mode really dull and too self serious even as a car nut. I appreciated the history and stories it was trying to tell but I thought the presentation of it was just too boring. I also did hit a wall where I had to grind for a bit to earn enough credits to progress & just couldn’t be arsed. 

It has a great handling model but I struggled with the rest of the package. Sold it now but may go back one day in future hopefully with a different mind set if it’s cheap on the store. 

Yeah that's a shame. I never really paid too much attention to the dullness and stuff really, it is a bit stuffy and up its own arse a bit sometimes but it never rubbed me the wrong way, if a bit of dialogue or something was boring in the menus I just skipped it. I do think the way the whole career mode is put together is genius compared to its competitors. 

It was all really well presented and I liked the way it introduces new championships and races to you without making you feel overwhelmed like in a grid style system employed in other titles where you think 'fuck, I've got all these races to do?!'. This neatly hides all that behind the Menu-style story mode, which I really dug. It's kind of like a carrot on the stick, doing one Menu at a time, never overwhelming or bewildering me. Which had the effect of 'just one or menu' rather than seeing a big grid and thinking 'oh god, I've got to try and finish all these tonight'. Makes a big difference to me, I haven't 'finished' a proper serious racing game for an awfully long time, maybe FM5? So yeah, it's a testament to how great I found the career mode that I was always compelled to finish it, never being bored or anything.

I never once had to grind whatsoever, I got so many cars thrown at me during the Menus that I usually had one to tune up for a certain future event if it needed to be a bit quicker. Probably only bought one or two cars throughout the entire Menu career.

Got all Gold medals in the licenses last night, so it's now onto the Circuit Experiences, misc. trophies and missions. What a load of fun they were to do, absolutely loved it. 

Yeah glad you enjoyed it and congrats on all the golds ^

ive not played in a while, but had a go the other night now theyve added money rewards for a timetrial, i mean one specific timetrial that seems to be on over 2 weeks, ive not checked but think you still get nothing for other timetrials so like other updates its better than nothing but theyve still not sorted it properly. It was fun though, its the old school suzuki pikes peak car with the massive wing theyve patched in, pretty cool!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been plugging away at this again recently, over last couple of nights drcided to finish off license tests as had largely seem them as pointless. 

But super license test were quite challenging but felt quite satisfing up till the last one a wet lap around spa, managed to scrape silver. 

Want to get gold on it to complete the all golds trophy but its incredibly frustrating. Not sure how long it took you @DisturbedSwan

Moved on to circuit experiences, and similar to tests quite challenging to get gold, but cash reward on these actually seems pretty good. 

Yeah the cash rewards on the circuit experiences are pretty crazy, I can't remember how many I did but I remember hearing that finishing some of the longer tracks can next you millions of Credits. 

The wet lap around Spa is definitely the hardest one to do, I think that one took me a solid couple of hours of just trying again and again until I got it right, you've got to be so soft on the throttle as well otherwise the back steps out so easily, I think I turned on more assists than I usually use for that specific test from memory but I may be wrong.

oh yeah that last license test around spa was tricky keeping the car on the track!

im still playing this but not often, just the online timetrials with the cash rewards, i'm not sure how often they change, maybe every 1 or 2 weeks, but i try and get a silver time gets you 1 million credits, the last one i did was a lot of fun, seemed harder than normal to get the silver time.

it's a good point i haven't done all the circuit experiences yet, need to go back to those, remember struggling with the big off road track

• 2 weeks later...

People seem really hyped about that. I'm not totally sure why tbh as I doubt it's using VR much beyond the immersive audio-visual impact of it but I guess the difference in car feel will be more tangible in VR, which will make the simulation more interesting

I hope as a takeaway Sony pursue an aggressive and robust hybrid experience strategy with VR. I don't see many AAA like experiences coming as VR exclusives, or they will be fairly piddling efforts like Horizon looks to be. But latching it onto an existing experience and trying to tailor as much of it to VR as they can is an approach that will really help the library support of this thing, which is the thing most wanting with it right now.

On that note I hope they don't just offer lots of seated VR experiences, cause they are fairly limited in their interaction potential

racing games in vr is a big thing it offers lots of benefits like looking around you to see where other cars are, lots of people like to race the in car view as it's more realistic but on a 2d screen the in car views are rubbish - whereas in vr it's exactly like you're in a car, judge distances better, being seated experience it's again exactly like being in a real car, probably need a steering wheel for maximum immersion, it's a really good use for vr... having said that i prefer to have the tv on at the same time as playing racing games which you can't really do in vr.

it'll be interesting to see how much of the game is playable in VR, i'm sure it'll be more than for gt sport, but in gt sport you could barely do anything in vr (race against a single car or timetrial).