passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Game of the Year 2022

DisturbedSwan

You know the linux/steam-deck versions of those games have been around for years.

In fact I remember either on this site or the other one having an argument over EGS and one of the points was that valve doing all that steam proton work, which I guess is paying off in a big way now with the deck

Death Stranding Director's cut for PC/ps5 is more like I was thinking

They don't do anything with the games. Steam Proton is an emulation layer that you can use for lots of games you buy on steam, if you want to play on linux instead of windows.

That's all steam deck is, portable linux that's using all the steam proton stuff. They aren't ports so not related to this. Some of these games might even have emulation related bugs (Persona 4 did for a bit I think, but now they have fixed it on proton)

Ok, fine but if a game came out on PS4 in 2020 and then ported to Switch in 2022 - it came out in 2020. Just because it's late to one platform doesn't mean it wasn't out before. The game already came out. 

Looking up 13 Sentinels the only exception I think worth arguing is it came out in JP in 2019. That's a big barrier for anyone who doesn't speak Japanese/live in Japan. But still it's official EU release date is 2020 which I think should mark it's official release date for this kind of contest 

This 2nd page has made my point for me lol, it just gets needlessly complicated and hair-splitting. 

If it released in 2022 in some way, shape or form, it's eligible on this forums GOTY lists. Other forums, other sites etc. Can do it differently, but here I am saying all games released in 2022 are eligible for GOTY.

Again, idgaf either way and not trying to extend a big argument and give ppl a headache (again), but this made me lol

On 18/01/2022 at 11:09, Maf said:

GotY 2021

1: Metroid Dread

2: Guilty Gear Strive

3: Returnal

4: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

5: Halo Infinite

6: Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

7: Bravely Default II 

8: Resident Evil Village

9: Forza Horizon 5

10: Kena: Bridge of Spirits

Games not from 2021 discovered in 2021

1: Super Mario Odyssey

2: Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

3: God of War (2018)

4: Resident Evil 3 Remake

5: Until Dawn

Most Anticipated 2022 Game

1: Fable 4

2: Breath of the Wild 2

3: Kirby and the Forgotten Land

4: Dead Space (2022)

5: DNF Duel

My top 3 are definite, I have no doubts there. The rest is not a real order yet I will sort/add/delete before the deadline. But I need to put something down to help me think about it.

The games not this year and games next year is best I can do. I can't remember what I played and I can't remember what's coming out. 

No, @one-armed dwarf is saying that it counts as a port. Which err. I mean it’s not a direct port but it’s also no lavish remake, either.

If you think remasters are the same as ports then you’re right to point it out but I still stand by ports shouldn’t be included in GotY lists. And you can add remasters to that as well. That sounds right to me too. Just because I did it last year doesn’t mean I wouldn’t support it 

@Maf's rationalistations

01RXcAY.gif

Onimusha's has a 'genma' xbox port that has way more features than its later on 'remaster', same as the RE4 port to PS2 and Wii. If it's about a game being HD, there's ports of console stuff on PC way back in the 90s/00s that can be ran today in 1080p or even 4k sometimes. Even on consoles old games like RDR1 and Ninja Gaiden on xbox one runs at native 4k, etc

point being, yeah I dont consider it a meaningful distinction and that's why I brought it up lol 🤣

@DANGERMAN full on remake counts as a new game. Like a FF7R or Resident Evil 2, or even a Shadow of the Colossus or Demons’ Souls Remake totally counts and is not a port equivalent at all. That’s my understanding of what Dead Space will be. Look at the news thread they’re redoing all the sound over and stuff like that. They’re making a new game. 

The HD remaster vs basic port and it being a meaningful difference like @one-armed dwarf is saying, I actually agree with him. To me I justified SS being on my 2021 list because it has QoL stuff, they made a whole new control scheme for portable mode, I think re orchestrated the music for at least parts of the game. But at the same time if someone had come along and said yo that can’t go on there I would of been like yeah, I see. That’s why I think it’s a bit different, but also accept it’s not massively meaningfully different.

Saying any game at all that has any kind of release in a year can qualify for that year is way crazier rationale than what I’m saying. 

• 3 months later...

GotY 2022

1: Sifu

2: Tinykin

3: As Dusk Falls

4: Crisis Core: FFVII Reunion

5: Stray

6: Olli Olli World

7: FH5 Hot Wheels

8: Prodeus

9: Scorn

10: Signalis