stella glow

Most Anticipated 2023 Game

1: Armed Police Batrider

2: Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

3: Pikmin 4

4: Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou

5: Ghostrunner 2

Spoiler

25% through the year (fuck) and so far my top games are Elden Ring, Kirby and Pokémon Arceus. Although I'm not sure in what order yet. 

Elden Ring and Kirby are kind of neck and neck. They're completely different so finding a way to pit them against each other is hard. They're not comparable in any kind of way. I also haven't completed them yet, either. So there's still room to figure that out. Perhaps that fight right now is achievement vs enjoyment. 

The tough one is Pokémon because I really loved that game until the magic wore off. And when the magic wears off, it wears off hard. When the Pokémon fan tinted glasses come off and you really look at that game; It's bare bones, repetitive, too easy but also too hard at the same time. It's dog shit ugly in most ways. A boringly structured game which relies heavily on a very monotonous grind just for something to do. Not even background content, the grind is the main game and gatekeeps the player from the rest of the game.

I stand by it's a great foundation for the future of Pokémon games, but it's purely a foundation. It needs lots of layers and work to get it to be that ultimate Pokémon game. 

It's not a game I want to play a second time. Which is not a great thing to say about a GotY. On it's own terms, with my Ash hat off and objective hat on, it's a tough game to be passionate about once the magic wears off.

But out of the 3, and this is the thing, it's the only game that has magic. The first 20-25 hours of Pokémon Legends is the best experience I've had with a game in years. I was BLOWN away by the wonder of walking around a Pokémon world and seeing Pokémon just be. The first time I got to the water and saw a Buizel I literally made a noise that was somewhere between a sentence and a squeak and went "It's a Buizel!". I'm 34. Thank god it wasn't a Squirtle I think I would of fucking died.

Arceus has mechanics more similar to a 3rd person shooter than the classic RPGS and using those mechanics to throw Pokeballs is so good. The catching mechanic has always been a masterstroke of design, and maybe the best thing about the entire series. 20+ years of Pokémon, even now, watching a Pokémon go in the ball, the suspense as it rocks back and forth, the slight delay between the shakes to see if the Pokémon will pop out or not. It's actually brilliant and still works amazingly today. But now throwing the ball instead of it being a canned animation? Having it soar through the air and go bonk on a Pokémon's head? It adds a new dimension to it. Your imagination isn't papering over the cracks anymore, you're actually getting to do it. And it's so much fun. In fact it's the only part of the game which never stops being fun, even when the rest of the magic has worn off. 

Then you get to release your Pokémon team all at once and take pictures with them and it's 🤗

Where I'm at right now in thinking about the best game, though, those kind of delights have to count for something. Is it the actual best game of the year so far? From an objective perspective, or even does it deliver as a full package? Hmm...No. 

But is it the game that has the best delights in it so far? Does things I've always wanted to see a game do, even if it's a one trick pony (Ponyta?) and doesn't have enough substance to support a full game? For me, so far, absolutely. Elden Ring never got me to go "It's a Buizel!" or the equivalent. No game has matched Pokémon so far for pure wonder in 2022, even if that wonder is momentary and short lived (short-ish, I mean 20 hours is not bad). 

I dunno. I think Pokémon ends as #1 or #10 in about 9 months and I can't see it being anywhere in between. 

My year so far. Elden Ring vs Kirby vs Pokémon (but mostly Pokémon) 

Everyone has their own personal methodology of deciding their GOTY and it isn't for me to judge, criticise or anything like that, it's a personal choice at the end of the day.

But, I will say, reading all that (which you didn't need to put in spoilers by the way, posts can be long, it's cool :) ) it does seem a bit of overthinking may be going on lol, I've never wanted to replay pretty much any GOTY as I never replay games in general, so I guess I've never had one? 😮

I just go with my gut a lot of the time, I do have a tendency to overthink in life in general but with games GOTY usual boils down to which game made me smile the most and kept me motivated the longest throughout it's runtime. It's one of the reasons that, by the end of the year Elden Ring might not even get in my top 5 because it's a chore to play and I don't enjoy it that much, I'm literally playing it just because I want to finish it. Whereas I played about 40 minutes of GT7 and it put a big ol' smile on my face straight away.

As for Legends, it does outstay its welcome and become repetitive the more you play of it and the closer you get to the end, the gameplay loop definitely becomes stale but that 25-30 or so hours getting there with a big ol' smile on your face counterbalances that, for me at least. 

I'll hopefully get round to playing Kirby after I clock Skyward Sword.

Based on the thinness of this year's release calendar I feel like it's going to be a year of replays for me personally. 

(just did bloodborne, currently slogging through ffvii remake epic store version, not sure what's next. might finally finish DSIII this year maybe)

The game I was most interested in this year was STALKER, which is obviously up in the air now. Then God of War, which I dont expect this year either.

Maybe if Elden Ring's DLC comes out this year it could kinda redeem the game for me a bit, cause FROM DLC is usually ace

But it’s not a new game. We should be giving props to new games released in this year not ones released previously. The reason that “not from” category exists is to give recognition to games which were released previously but may not have had the awards it deserves. 

Maybe a halfway point is ports that include improvements (eg, FFVII Intergrade, Disco Directors' Cut etc)

not that I'm fussed or anything but I think expacs and updates give good enough reason for re-consideration, just imo. They would still be under the radar releases in any given year anyway, not like they would win goty

I'm never really sure where I stand on the release stuff, and I've probably confidently declared for both sides.

I think the way I've always looked at it is you can't vote for it a 2nd time. For something this obscure it feels a little mean to say it's not eligible for this year when so few had the chance to play it. 

It's not really up to me though 🤷‍♂️