passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

NFTs in Games Thread

Maf

I said to myself “Today I’m going to create the most popular thread of all time”

Maybe I will later

As much as everybody groans about NFT’s they are a point of discussion, game companies are getting in to it, and for at least the short term it’s become a part of the hobby. So I no way support NFT’s or any block chain shit really but I still think it’s interesting to see what’s going on with them within games and what we can learn from it, and learn to watch out for from it.

Lets start with epic fail #1

So continuing on from the Troy Baker NFT voice controversy here’s the Play, Watch, Listen episode of him essentially apologising for it all

The man continues to be a clown. 

The good point they bring up is even if he had good intentions, why does this technology need to be tied in any way to NFT technology? I don’t think an answer is provided. 

The only even close to positive things they say about NFT’s/block chains in the public ledger aspect. Which I still can’t grasp. I can’t wrap my head around what this does for anyone. 

Also despite a few days ago some high level Sega exec saying they wouldn’t do NFT’s if it was purely for the money (lol) they still got their trade marks in order. Arguably they’re a responsible business and they need too. But looks like if they can do NFT’s they will

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-01-14-new-sega-trademark-and-logo-emerge-for-sega-nft

What a weird time 

• Maf changed the title to NFTs in Games Thread

I watched 15 minutes of that video and couldn't get through it. He is such an idiot and I don't know how anyone can even listen to this podcast series. The guy just seems 100% opposed to looking inward, or any kind of personal growth. Or just being able to be honest in general. Master equivocator

I mean he advertised himself as a stakeholder in technology that can clearly be exploited to displace the jobs of his peers, while making a profit. And destroying the environment in the process.

btw, we all know this right, when someone is lying to you they look off to the side? Watch 13:40

The podcast is really good when Troy is not on it. Mike Bithell is the smartest and most interesting person I’ve ever heard talk about games, behind the scenes about games, and everything else. He’s so smart. I feel like I’ve learned so much by listening to him on this podcast.

Troy on the other hand lol

He is trying to say he went in to it with naivety and good intentions, and that he didn’t fully understand NFT’s or how they work. Like Alanah says, I could also see Troy getting easily swindled by smart con artists. But the fact that he also said everyone he spoke to about it over weeks said don’t do this, including his agent and financial planner and he still did it. WOW. He’s just a clown

No that’s another point. Unless I missed it he doesn’t talk about stepping back or reevaluating. Just apologising and a lot of “I’ve learned a lot” 

Oi vey 

I really like when they say the idea of the technology is not really good or bad. But why does it have to be NFT related? It’s also a terrible and not true version of NFT because the voice is tied to a server. I lost the understanding a bit there but it all sounds really suspect

So, it doesn't seem what Troy is involved with is not an NFT in the way that we currently know them.  Like Austin said it's like he's providing samples in like you can buy and use in music, but for voice acting enhanced with AI (why a blockchain is needed for that I have no idea, and no-one gives a reason, almost like you wouldn't need it) but it is also sketchy as is and I doubt anyone serious about making a game with VO would use a Troy Baker bot over collaborating with an actual VA.  Maybe a game already full of bought assets would but I think the availability and cost would still make VO work more available.  The thing with art assets it's they are mostly labour and technology intensive where as VO it's a case of finding the right talent so a similar system for different kinds of work isn't always right.

Is Troy a bit narcissistic? it's inherent to the job on some level but I think he's just a useful idiot and loads of people in the entertainment industry sound like this in long form interviews.  I'm sure he knows a lot about his line of work, at least the creative process, but is a dope when it comes to things beyond that like the larger consequences around this decision.  His agent should have put their foot down on this.

Right now I think he believes in what he's saying but if he still hasn't walked away after properly looking into it then he gets a yikes from me.  He has a grace period until I yikes

I just really hope gamers keep pushing back against this and prevent it becoming a norm & don’t become bored, accept and even end up defending it a few months down the line like they do with most things. I think if the push back remains strong enough for long enough we can stop this being a thing within games. 

Well I admit that Troy being a clown wouldn't normally count as news but in this case 

Also I feel like there's been half a dozen NFT game related headlines over the past week or so. Sega, Ubisoft, Square. This is, at least for the short term, a gaming news thing. I want to see how it develops. 

The company Troy Baker was shilling for has been accused of stealing voice samples from another website.

The more I read about NFTs the more I think it stands for Nasty Future Trend.

Ripping off artists and creators, scamming investors and using up resources.

Remember when we had Folding software running on distributed PCs, analysing telescope images for planets and finding new drugs (using the unused processing power on linked computers?) Now we have people buying up all the graphics cards, using a whole country’s worth of electricity and for what? Creating “artificial scarcity” and a “market” for crudely drawn monkeys?

I don’t want anything to do with NFTs, especially in gaming.

• 2 weeks later...

No, @merman1974, NFT's are good for you and gameing. You just don't get it. 

At least according to Ubisoft's NFT division managers

"I think gamers don't get what a digital secondary market can bring to them," Nicolas Pouard, VP at Ubisoft's Strategic Innovations Lab said. "For now, because of the current situation and context of NFTs, gamers really believe it's first destroying the planet, and second just a tool for speculation. But what we [at Ubisoft] are seeing first is the end game. The end game is about giving players the opportunity to resell their items once they're finished with them or they're finished playing the game itself.

"So, it's really, for them. It's really beneficial. But they don't get it for now.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-01-28-ubisofts-nft-bosses-say-players-just-dont-get-it

Don't you see it's really for you. So you can make some change back at the end of playing a game. Despite the fact that if you want cash back you can sell the game on anyway. But that's not as good as NFT's, clearly. 

18 minutes ago, Maf said:

But that's not as good as NFT's, clearly. 

Plus the fact Diablo 3 and various Valve games have already shown you can allow your customers to sell on digital goods without them being turned into NFTs. 

It’s all just so disgusting. 

"I think gamers don't get what a digital secondary market can bring to them," Nicolas Pouard, VP at Ubisoft's Strategic Innovations Lab said. "For now, because of the current situation and context of NFTs, gamers really believe it's first destroying the planet, and second just a tool for speculation. But what we [at Ubisoft] are seeing first is the end game. The end game is about giving players the opportunity to resell their items once they're finished with them or they're finished playing the game itself.

"So, it's really, for them. It's really beneficial. But they don't get it for now.

ltrniqmj42q41.jpg

He is right in the sense that no, I don't get it. No matter how much I read about NFT's or listen to people talk about them I just can't grasp how it works. But I do understand I have no interest in trying to monetise video games for me or them. 

It feels to me that they're all trying to cash in on the Bitcoin boom by offering people NFTs that will 'clearly increase in value' (as they are unique/niche)- and look what happened with Bitcoin - so better buy in now !

Unfortunately that seems to me to be terrible 'investment' advice, with the NFT provider being the only people likely to get richer.

But I could be completely wrong.

A longer video going into the whole thing.

On 15/01/2022 at 17:53, mmmark said:

Anyway I still don’t really understand any of this and have made the decision not to waste my time on it. 

Same.