passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marsupilami Hoobadventure

DANGERMAN

I think I'm going to do a video of this because I don't think a post is going to get over how good this is and how you should play it. Based on an old, presumably renewed, European cartoon called Marsupilami that I barely remember, it's basically a Rayman Legends clone without the touchscreen and co-op stuff

It's a 2D platformer, or 2.5D I suppose, but the depth doesn't play a part at all I don't think. Simple stuff, you can jump, land on enemies heads which will kill them and bounce you up. you have a standing attack, a spinning roll attack, and you can slam down to the ground from the air to smash pots and break through floors. Eventually there's enemies you can't kill, boulders you need to avoid and outrun, then also things like toucans and grips that you can grab to either launch you in a specified direction or help you with some in-air platforming

It's got a lot of ideas, a couple of different types of bonus stages, and even those get mixed up. The levels can be fairly simple, but eventually can get very, very difficult later on, especially if you're trying to find all the feathers and secret bonus levels. Marsupilami throws lives at you, so you're never likely to run out, and you can revisit easier levels, or even bonus levels, to rack up lives or tickets (to enter a different set of bonus levels that are all about amassing lives). Collect 100 fruit and you'll get a live, smash enough pots you'll probably find an extra life or two.  The feathers are used to open up a couple of extra stages to try, nothing really beyond that, but there is an achievement system to keep you going

If I were going to add some criticisms, it's a little short. It's a few hours, I'm not sure how many but certainly less than 10, maybe 5? You're basic movement is a little slow, I've found I took to rolling a lot of the time, which isn't a smart idea, but it's quicker. It's also a little jerky on the Switch, I think because it's 30fps, and while mostly it's fine, it's when you need to react suddenly or correct a movement that you really notice it. There's also a slight issue with your ability to slide down walls, a good skill that opens up some really inventive moments for secrets and the like, but it's a very generous snap to, so you'll latch on the wall when you don't expect it, slowing you, messing up your timing, or making you leap off in the wrong direction.

Apart from that though, I can't fault it. I'm not saying it's a 10/10 game, but I do think it's a really good platformer, certainly one of the better games I've played this year

This looks good. Great video @DANGERMAN, nice of me to make a cameo too.

I'll have to get it at some point I think, Rayman Legends is up there with my favourite platformers and you can definitely see the influence it's had on this. And getting recent Donkey Kong Country vibes too.

• 5 months later...

Got 100% on it now and all Achievements. Doing some of those gold medal time trials were great fun. The levels have been designed to have a really great flow to them when you get going. Feels spot on when you get it right.  

• 1 year later...

Started this yesterday and played a few levels. It's really lovely and surprisingly polished, as it seems they knew exactly where to put the time and money they had. It's pretty easy so far, even on hard (which only reduces the numbers of hits you can take by 1), but I expect it to become a bit more challenging later on, as there wouldn't be any reason to include the god mode difficulty setting otherwise.

Also, just as a heads-up for anyone who played this close-ish to release: the developers put out a free Dino-themed DLC at some point in the last year. Probably worth it to check out.

(And as an additional side note, everyone who enjoyed this should check out Kaze and the Wild Masks.)

On 28/12/2023 at 13:31, Maryokutai said:

Also, just as a heads-up for anyone who played this close-ish to release: the developers put out a free Dino-themed DLC at some point in the last year. Probably worth it to check out.

Interesting, I might go back to it. I bought it as a physical disc for a mate as a christmas present too. Glad people are enjoying it, it's a great little game

I completed the main three worlds today, really good game overall. They also ramped up the difficulty a bit towards the end, the last bonus stage took me quite a few tries. Comparatively to other 2D platformers it's obviously still not really difficult, but I'm happy that it took some effort towards the end, to the point where I wonder if younger players would even be able to beat it (not that I care, little punks).

I missed one feather, which I'm going to collect, but I don't think I'm going to do the time trials because I'm afraid the level in the darkness would drive me nuts in that mode.

Checked out the first stage of the Dino DLC and yep, this seems to be good if not even better than the main game. Visuals get a nice boost as well on that island with very busy and nice looking backgrounds.

I don't really know what Ocellus does, and their homepage left me clueless (they seem to do mostly supporting development?) but there's some strong talent there and I hope they get the opportunity to do something like this again. I actually feel a bit bad that I didn't buy this immediately when it came out, but I think Dangerman's stance of just gifting it to people is a good idea to make up for that.

Alright, one more and I'll shut up. I just completed the Hidden World DLC and it's fantastic from start to finish. Stages are bigger and more complex, all of them have one unique central idea to them, like I mentioned before the visuals also look significantly better, it even has a memorable orchestral soundtrack now – and after beating them (10 in all) you unlock alternate versions, technically doubling the count. Plus there's the time trials as in the main game, for those who enjoy these.

And as I mentioned, it's free and I think you get it by just updating the game, you don't even need to search for it on whatever storefront you are. Absolutely recommended and basically essential for everyone who has the game IMO. Tagging @mfnick just for the heck of it because he seems to have enjoyed the base game, too.

Never heard of this before, soon as Dangerman’s earlier post said “It’s like Rayman Legends”, that immediately got my attention. As that game is bloody brilliant. Watching Dangerman’s gameplay video sealed the deal. 

Currently £3 on Switch. Into the basket it goes. 

8 hours ago, AndyKurosaki said:

Currently £3 on Switch.

Can you go straight into the DLC levels? At that I’ll buy it again but I don’t necessarily want to play through the main game again but my original playthrough was on Xbox. 

It's the same price on the Xbox store. You have to play roughly half of it to get access to the Hidden World as it unlocks midway on island n° 2. 

@AndyKurosaki I think it's closer to Donkey Kong (specifically Retro's versions) but either way it's a genuinely good game and at 3something an absolute steal.