passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bright Memory Infinite

DANGERMAN

I'm going to link the old thread below, but Bright Memory Infinite has just released on PC and it's very good. As a bit of a reminder, Bright Memory was an early access episodic game, that did so well that the developer cancelled development on Episode 1 and decided to work on a full thing instead, with everyone who bought Ep 1 getting the full thing for free. 

I'm not sure what happened with the Xbox release, I'd assumed the version that came out was the full game at the Xbox Series launch but looking at it now I think that was just a port of Episode 1 and Bright Memory Infinite is coming next year

They've changed things a bit, going off memory I think there's a power difference, but there's definitely a difference in enemy types. You spend more time fighting soldiers here, with a shift to the ancient enemies who are mostly melee based but not entirely. What it does really well is change things up, it's not just wave after wave of the same enemies, long corridors, or kill room after kill room, instead you'll start with some combat, switch to something more platforming like, then some new enemies, maybe some stealth, even a driving section.

Your powers are there and needed, mostly you'll be looking to block and counter, then attack with your own melee attack. The ability to grab enemies from a distance and explode them with your emp seems a little overpowered in the early game, which isn't a huge complaint because I didn't find myself relying on it too much. There's alternative bullet types for your guns, which you'll add to as you progress through the game, again these can be really powerful, certainly my go to against bosses rather than fighting them "properly"

I suppose for context, I got this for free as I'd bought Episode 1 way back when, so this being short isn't really an issue for me, I'd already got my money's worth out of Episode 1, but it is still a short game, took me about 2 hours. It could quite easily have been longer too, there's a bunch of ideas you only see once, areas are fairly short, a bigger budget game would be more 'cynical' and recycle and remix these game ideas for a bit more length, which would have been fine with me. As a cheap PC game this is really, really good, if it launches as a cheap digital console game then I'd say it's a must buy, but it is short, and I suppose that's a criticism amplified because I wanted more, another hours or so at least. Well worth picking up though