passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Shin Megami Tensei V

HandsomeDead

That's pretty good but I liked the demon that just straight asked me if I was a Top or a Bottom more.  I wish I screenshot it.

I'm having a hard time of it now though.  I've died so many times and I've put in about three hours since I last posted and I've barely moved.  I had to go back and do a bunch of sidequests to level up since the pricks got really tough.  I'm two levels under the current boss I'm fighting but she still eats all my attacks despite me customising a team just for fighting her with her weaknesses but I still barely make a scratch.  I feel like I'm missing something.

my copy hasn't arrived yet, but yeah, Shin Megami games are a lot harder than Persona, so if you're coming to this from that it's a massive step up. The only one I finished is 4 which is mostly a lot easier, stuff like Strange Journey and some of the Srpg games I've not got close to finishing (Strange Journey I think will happen one day).

Unfortunately the best advice is to grind a bit and hit weaknesses, hitting weaknesses means extra turns to hit weaknesses. If it's anything like some of the other games there might be heal spots you can exploit if you find them, and eventually perks that might heal you as you walk or get MP back after battles

• 4 weeks later...

I'm about 15 hours in to this now, not counting time I've lost to dying, and it still feels like I'm waiting for it to properly start. I'd completely forgotten about the actual plot until something popped up last night in a side conversation (just getting to the area where the angels are). I suppose it's good to mix things up, but there's something to be said for a short dungeon or two before you get in to the meat of it

I've not messed with the demon essence stuff as much as I should. By the sounds of it I should be able to breed out weaknesses from the main character using that, and it seems to be the only way he gets more moves. I'm clearly not using it enough, but equally my demons have so little space for moves still I can't give them much, it seems like a waste of the spells.

I do now have a perk where I heal and get a small amount of sp back if the special meter is full. Handy , but spells cost double in this game what they do in other Shin Megami games, so it needs levelling up a few times I think

On 15/11/2021 at 20:26, HandsomeDead said:

That's pretty good but I liked the demon that just straight asked me if I was a Top or a Bottom more.  I wish I screenshot it.

I'm having a hard time of it now though.  I've died so many times and I've put in about three hours since I last posted and I've barely moved.  I had to go back and do a bunch of sidequests to level up since the pricks got really tough.  I'm two levels under the current boss I'm fighting but she still eats all my attacks despite me customising a team just for fighting her with her weaknesses but I still barely make a scratch.  I feel like I'm missing something.

the Diet building by any chance? I'm very close to beating it, but getting wiped out by my weakness, might have to look at replacing my strengths/weaknesses

Yeah, it turned out to be nothing really.  I beat it quite easily in the end, well it bailed when it was half dead, I was previously very close but went away and prepped and built for a full fight 😅 

I got quite a bit further into the second big area but left it.  I'm gonna go back to it soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Started playing this a bit, I'm around 7 hours in I think. You know it's SMT when you can't even get past the first proper boss without using literally every tool at your disposal to even have a fighting chance. I like the QOL changes though, like being able to simply fuse a demon out of a menu without first having to summon them from your compenion. I have never completed a mainline SMT game so maybe this will be the first, but so far it's fun, albeit not really groundbreaking or anything. I really like the music though, the level-up theme is particularly catchy.

The one thing that bothers me is how ugly it is. The art-direction and character/monster design can only carry so much when you see these undetailed Unreal Engine mountain assets on the horizon and the rubble popping up three meters in front of you. I've usually no problem looking past stuff like that but for some reason I find it almost distracting here. I've played indie games that look significantly better than this (Oceanhorn 2 for example).

• 1 month later...

Started this early this week and have put about 3 hours into it so far give or take.

Having never played any of the previous games I didn't know exactly what to expect. All I really knew (or thought I knew) about the series is that it was a difficult dungeon crawler that shares some DNA with Persona in enemy design and the turn battle system. So, going in, I thought this would be a lot like the big underground dungeon in Persona 5 but a bit harder and possibly bigger than the dungeon in that title.

Having fired it up, it starts off quite similarly to Persona 5 in that you're a high school kid in a classroom in Tokyo. As you're walking back from school that day you get sucked into another world, instead of being temporarily stuck here like in the Persona games, you're permanently here in this world, there's no social links or anything like that either, this is probably obvious (especially to SMT vets) but thought I'd point it out for folks new to SMT like myself.

Once you're in the other world, it isn't really what I expected at all. You're in a decimated version of Tokyo, sand piled in from every direction amongst the crumbling buildings of a once buzzing metropolis. Instead of being in this dark dingy underground passage (which is what I expected) you're instead in this huge, open, apocalyptic dessert environment with towering dilapidated skyscrapers decaying around you. 

From what I've played so far you can't really go off and explore, it's all been quite linear and kept me in this prescribed area on my way to the remains of the Tokyo Tower. It has still been fun to explore though, even though the sand gives the environment a bit of a monotone look about it, the vibrancy and decayed beauty of the crumbling buildings is still visually arresting.

Despite having some DNA in common with Persona, it's actually a different game that this reminds me more of, and that's the Nintendo/Atlus collaboration of 2015 - Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. The feel of the game as you're running along, dodging or engaging demons in battle along with its battle system feel reminiscent of that title for me, obviously there are a lot of differences between the two (no social links, no high school banter, no dungeons as of yet) as well. It's just that the feel it gives me is more aligned with TMS than Persona at the moment. 

Going back to the battle system, I think this is the first Shin Megami Tensei family title I've played where you actually have demon's as party members rather than humans. In that sense it's actually quite similar to Pokémon, in that the demons are your other party members and you can collect all manner of different ones, all that have different strengths and weaknesses against different elements. The way you collect demons is very different though, you have to chat them up so to speak, you can be kind to them and hope they play ball, ignore them or be nasty to them, each with a varying degree of success (from what I can gather at the moment).

You can also fuse demon's together to make a different (new) demon and infuse demon essences into your main character (nahobino?) so that you gain resistance to certain elements and stuff. The Persona fusing always went over my head a bit in the Persona games (and TMS, if it was in that?) and it's the same here, I understand it to some degree but I still need to properly get my head around in in time to make the best builds and demons I can. Another thing I've had to get my head around is losing demons when they get defeated in battle, in something like Pokémon they just 'faint' and get sent back to your item box or Poke ball but here that's it, they're gone (AFAIK) and you have to set about chatting up a particular demon again if you want them back in your roster. 

I played both Persona 4 and Persona 5 on easy/very easy difficulty so I can't say how difficult this is in comparison, but compared to TMS where I played on Normal for about half the game (before chickening out) it's definitely a slight step up, but not as much of a step as I was expecting as of yet. Early days though, I'm sure once I face the first boss and get my arse handed to me I'll change my mind on the matter. 

Still very early days then, but so far so good. The battle system is engaging and fun, as is the method for collecting demon's and their unique strange personalities. I'm really digging this warped, otherworldly, apocalyptic desert Tokyo as well and can't wait to play more. I will say as well, it looks great on the OLED. 

Pics:

Spoiler

E0BF890E-59E1-4DA5-85B3-0AF47CE1B75B.jpeg46EE7E90-3486-4AB4-AF2B-F202647F787F.jpeg
BBFC1448-6E74-45BD-97F2-19D40B486F55.jpeg3AFDACB7-4B75-44BF-8B68-FA043D043225.jpeg797C5325-FE8A-4E6B-9CBF-F8C9CA9AA773.jpeg

25984938-DF36-41E6-A8C5-0B4C598576FF.jpeg

21573885-6F35-4106-854F-81316765996C.jpeg

07EA1A23-5E4F-4D38-9362-9FFC4FB88FCE.jpeg

Now about 7-8 hours in on this and just defeated the first boss.

In one of my sessions I spent about 45 minutes in the menus at the leyline fount just trying to figure some things out, infusing essences with my character and trying to get my head round demon fusing. I’ve been loosely following a beginners guide on YT that gives you a few tips on this and which essences to use, how to use them and similar stuff with demon fusing too. There’s a lot to take and I’m still not 100% sure and confident I’m doing things right, I always think I’m gonna fuck something up and gain some terrible weakness. 

The longer I explored the first area the more it actually reminded me of Xenoblade more than anything else. Quite a sizeable area, especially the area immediately before the first boss with some formidable higher level enemies that aren’t ready to be fought yet. 

Got my party wiped a number of times in this area as the difficulty ramped up and some more powerful demons popped up but I managed quite well.

Then went into the boss and got wiped three times, on the third occasion I knew what his weaknesses were and took almost a full team of demons with ice moves (as well as the nahobino having an ice move) so it was relatively easy after that. The fight itself was a lot of fun and the demon in question had a great distinctive design. 

So yeah, really enjoying it still but am slightly worried at times that the lack of narrative so far will affect my motivation the longer I go on. Still early days though, and for now it’s a lot of fun, battle system is great and the world itself is super fun and foreboding to explore still. Still a lot to learn and get to grips with.

8C61A41B-E5EF-4252-8471-824B66C3E364.jpeg

DC369A50-3712-42D0-B2D8-0B7283F60766.jpeg

1E481019-2688-4DA9-A159-D7F69E7A7663.jpeg

Spoiler

253F7634-D889-402B-BFD4-6B4FFC9F390D.jpeg

Ta @DANGERMAN that's good to know.

For some reason the past week or so I've been struggling with motivation to play it but last night I had a really good session with it and didn't want to put it down really, I'm not sure it'll ever be a game I could play for long sessions though but it's great in hour-90 minute bursts. Cleared out another one of those red anomalies last night and now heading to the Diet building which is where the second boss is (I'm guessing).

I seem to be getting on much better now in battles and pretty much battering everything, my team is:

• Nahobino
  • Tsuchigumo

• Angel

• Apsaras

(had to google a couple of those names).

I've picked up a couple more of the miracles which means I can keep 10 demons at a time as well which is handy, but I kind of feel like it's silly keeping them and should be clearing some out to make space for some new demons I've met along the way recently. Am I right in thinking once I've registered them to the compendium it doesn't matter if I release them? As I can get them back from the compendium at any time by paying some macca? 

yeah you can get them back, but it costs quite a bit, there's perks later on to reduce the costs involved. Once they've learned all their skills there's no point in registering them again, which is advice I'm giving rather than following myself out of laziness

It's good to have a few different types around, but equally you aren't supposed to grow attached, which is hard when you have a Jack Frost or a Chironnupu

Yeah, I think if I get Jack Frost I definitely won't be letting go of it anytime soon haha.

I ended up fusing a couple of my demons to get a green elemental type looking demon that doesn't seem to have many weaknesses, he's got all the move types apart from ice which is handy, so he's slotted into my team. He's a bit under levelled compared to Spidey though.

Played a bit more last night and got rid of another anomaly but that's about it, just been exploring around the delipidated skyscrapers of the bit I'm in at the moment and finding some chests and stuff really before carrying on to the next anomaly (which seems to be tied to a story quest marker in the distance).

On 25/02/2022 at 16:59, DisturbedSwan said:

I think this is the first Shin Megami Tensei family title where you actually have demon's as party members rather than humans.

It's probably more like the 20th game in the series that works that way.

I've been dropping in and out of this for the last couple of months. I'm over 30 hours in and in the third area (great music there btw.) and I think that's the furthest I've ever gotten in a mainline SMT game. But I won't lie that there have been moments where it started to feel more like work than fun and I had to force myself a bit to continue, namely for some of the boss encounters in area 2, which I didn't have any answers for in my party so I had to fuse quite a bit. I know that's what the fans enjoy about these games but sometimes I wish I could stick with a party at least a little bit longer. Especially as some of these demons look really good in full 3D now so it's kind of a shame you have to ditch most of them after five hours.

But yeah, 30 hours, so it must do something right. Story is kind of meh though, or at least it fails when it wants to be more than just an exposition backdrop because there's too much downtime in between. If you run around for almost ten hours and nobody speaks a word but then something dramatic happens after a boss fight it just doesn't have any impact unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

It's probably more like the 20th game in the series that works that way.

Yeah, my bad, I phrased that incorrectly. I meant to say it's the first SMT family title I've played where you have demons as party members rather than humans. Have updated the original post now.

Think I've put in about 15 hours now (according to Switch profile stats) and I kinda feel like I'm in Groundhog Day with this at the moment. 

I'll have a good 30-45 minute run where I'm going around the nearby area, finding treasure, glory, fighting a load of demons, talking and capturing a few of them, finding a few side quests and then I'll get wiped by a strong demon out of nowhere or a regular demon will just KO me sometimes and I'll have to reload my save and then start the loop I was doing previously all over again, just being a little more cautious but then I have got wiped again and again and had to do this same loop sometimes 3-4 times to complete all the side quests again, capture certain demons again and stuff.

I don't really mind it as I'm still enjoying the game, the environment I'm in, the battle system and everything, it just means that I'm not really getting anywhere fast, and am kind of stuck in these two recent areas (Kamiyacho and Nagatacho) and haven't really progressed at all, I'm just kind of going round and round in circles.