passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Forza Horizon 5

Nag

Spent a few hours with the game during this afternoon, suffice to say it's bloody amazing to look at...

4e409c2b-d81c-4102-bb35-ab003695be24.png

The whole driving to the festival segment right at the start of the game just put a massive smile on my face, it's so stupidly over the top that you can't help but grin. So far there's not been anything massively different from the 4th game but to be honest that was already the best open world racer by a huge margin so this just has to build on that.

92abbc3b-bc2a-4114-b7e6-4c01f9d1c039.png

So far I've I think the game has been hand holding me through the early parts but not enough that I can't decide to put whatever the game is suggesting on hold and do something else, which is nice. I also think that the map is definitely going to encourage going off road far more than Britain did in the previous game.

c9edb422-1ac3-409f-9d9d-6374d6e7bc62.png

Anyway, so far so gorgeous!

Spoiler

fdd12ec2-2b0c-428e-b53d-675c1abd440a.png

84802075-bd59-4d71-b0b5-109808aa45d4.png

694e6126-2409-45d3-9139-60473c697318.png

Just put a couple of hours in. It’s more amazing than I could have hoped. 

5 hours ago, Nag said:

think that the map is definitely going to encourage going off road far more

This is actually a slight concern of mine since I much prefer regular, sports & super cars of the RWD variety (which are terrible for that) compared to big SUV’s & dedicated off roaders. I love Rally cars too but don’t want to feel forced into using them. FH4 already suffered slightly from that, especially in winter where I’d basically stop playing for the week sometimes.

So far though, fantastic.

I kind've mean there seems to be more to smash through and less dense areas of forest (with unbreakable trees) in free roam... 

I'm already wondering how I'm supposed to hit one of these Danger Sign targets🤣

I'm getting quite a few disconnect messages (even when I still have random gamertags driving around the map 🤣) I guess the servers are taking a hammering which will only get worse come Tuesday.

As a novice, what's a good set up for the initial difficulty options? I'm talking about all this ABS stuff and traction. I have a feeling that if I turn a lot of help type things off, I'll have less control but go faster. And I have a need for speed.

I sort of want to switch if the blue line, too, as I'm missing the scenery.

Started this on Friday night and am having a blast with it so far, think I'm about 8 hours in.

As others have said, the opening is amazing an genuinely jaw dropping at times with how pretty everything is and how the game seamlessly transitions between all the different cars and scenarios. This is the 5th game in the series though, so it isn't anything particularly new if you've played the previous games as they all have this little showcase-type introduction, but this is the best I've played so far by quite some margin.

Mexico is already 10 times more interesting to me than the dreary Britain in FH4 as well. Everything is so vibrant and the different biomes in the game ranging from beaches to rainforests to volcanos and snowy mountain ranges and idyllic Mexican cities and villages is phenomenal. The map seems to be the biggest in the series so far as well, I've only explored about a 1/3 of it and there's tons of other areas to the North I've not even touched yet. 

There isn't really much to say about the open-world exploration and racing, if you've played one of the previous games, it's the same deal here really. Everything feels good, exciting and has the same great sense of speed as in previous entries, all the collectible type stuff like the Barn Finds, trying to drive on all the roads, finding the fast travel and XP boost boards are all in here again. 

Some negatives though, in that the map is just an absolute clusterfuck of icons all over the shop, as soon as you finish an event seemingly another 5 events pop up in its place, it can be bewildering to look at and makes me feel like I'm not really making any progress at times. There is also a prompt at the bottom of the map that says 'buy Treasure Map' when you hit this prompt it takes you to a purchase screen to pay for this Treasure Map with real money, it's not expensive at £2.50 odd but it shouldn't be there in the first place in a AAA first party game in my view. 

But yeah, I'm still having an absolute whale of a time with it, it's just a bit more the case of feeling like you're slipping into a comfy sofa again rather than experiencing something completely new at this point. I've already put more time into this so far than I did into FH4, so that's definitely a positive sign, it's just such a jolly, fun place to be when you're barrelling along with the radio blaring enjoying the Mexican vibes. Seems to me that I only really love the odd entries in the franchise with FH2 and FH4 being my low points. 

Can't wait to dive into it a bit more at the weekend.

Pics:

Spoiler

90E10C8F-860F-4530-A3BF-65C01DFAB808.png38107864-2F38-4F50-B054-F727CF4CBEF8.pngBDB38554-2496-4688-9E6E-E8A67FD56680.pngE99D7F40-E080-4CED-AB70-A831DD777663.png85FD28F2-61F0-4FB2-BDB8-AD3D38306695.png

1B57F4A1-2A7D-45F9-BECF-16AA8EDE97E7.png

DC2474C9-7C64-49DB-A39D-6433AF232482.png

D049A727-7FE7-4EF0-875C-BF4EA90A974A.png

1 hour ago, DisturbedSwan said:

it's not expensive at £2.50 odd but it shouldn't be there in the first place in a AAA first party game in my view. 

That's been in every game in the series... and given a few weeks (or probably even now) they'll be maps online for every little detail anyway.

I've been absolutely rinsing this since Friday, it's fucking brilliant... there's absolutely nothing in the game that isn't just dumb fun. With how progression works on these games I opened and beat the Goliath event yesterday, there is some absolutely epic straights in that race... 12 minutes of pure bliss.

Been mucking about with other random in the various different multiplayer modes, those have all worked well and been pretty hilarious, there's something very amusing about turning up at a car meet in this pristine machine and hearing a load of comedy horns blaring with everyone dressed as stupid as possible.🤣

3 hours ago, Maf said:

Turn AI drivers up to a 100 don't be a bitch 

And never see them again after the first bend... 

Games epic!

3 hours ago, Maf said:

Only have the line on for corners if you need it, have the car gears on automatic, turn everything else off. Maybe keep something with the traction on. Turn AI drivers up to a 100 don't be a bitch 

Done all that. Much more fun. My cars are flying all over place😄

Turned up the difficulty 1 notch from default. Might go up another notch as the wins are still fairly easy. But, yeah, as nag says, you do don't want to ruin it with mad difficulty while you're in training. After a week or so I'll probably just want to race against real people. 

I saw someone advise to use the simulated option with the steering but it felt way too twitchy for me and a pad... maybe with a wheel but I went back to the standard setting for the sake of my blood pressure. I think I have ABS turned off but everything else is on and my opponents are usually between "above average" and "highly skilled" depending on race type.

I think those settings are so good you'll never see mafs drivatar in a race.🤣

You really want to knock the AI difficulty up at least 2. It makes it more fun because the competition is very relaxed in this game. You get a lot more credits as well. 

nag you wait until I get the game I show you about racing you won't be able to escape my name when it's plastered all over the leader boards. 

11 minutes ago, Maf said:

nag you wait until I get the game I show you about racing you won't be able to escape my name when it's plastered all over the leader boards. 

Unless you play rival races there aren't any... and as I've done enough to already get the achievement for those I won't have to worry about going easy on you 👋😁

Something I meant to add before and completely forgot to include is the fact that there's hardly any traffic now. In all previous games I'd be tootling around and end up hitting some random Nissan Micra at 180mph but I hardly see any cars on the road now, I get that it's probably due to everything that's going on and the game pumping out a resolution of 4K but it's still disappointing and gives the world a more empty feel than previous titles.

I tried at the start putting the Steering on Simulation with Traction Control and ABS off but it was no fun at all and really twitchy so I wacked it onto standard steering. In terms of AI difficulty 'highly skilled' is the best preset for me, I still win races quite easily but not easily enough I'm bored, I still have to work for it. It's a fine balance for a racing game to strike, I hate the AI too difficult I have to retry races multiple times to achieve 1st place but hate the AI too easy I win with 10-30 seconds to spare, overtaking everyone within the first few corners of the first lap.

32 minutes ago, Nag said:

That's been in every game in the series... and given a few weeks (or probably even now) they'll be maps online for every little detail anyway.

I haven't noticed them before, but then my memory is very poor in general. I wouldn't mind so much if it was hidden away in a menu but the fact its on the main map is the main bug bear for me, a very minor annoyance and doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game whatsoever but thought I'd mention it nevertheless. A very minor complaint in the scheme of things.

15 minutes ago, Nag said:

Unless you play rival races there aren't any... and as I've done enough to already get the achievement for those I won't have to worry about going easy on you 👋😁

No, when you do the drifting events and shit it shows you the scores of people on your friend's list. That's where I kept seeing your name on FH4.

Constantly.

Below.

Mine. 

Bitch.