passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Guardians of the Galaxy

one-armed dwarf

I am extremely close to the end of it, to the point I thought I was finished but apparently wasn't. Best way to sum my feelings up of the later sections is the gameplay is stretched thin by the story that needs telling. I think that's Guardian's only real big flaw here. One that hurts its back third I must admit. It's not that the game suffers from poor pacing, but the game runs out of new inventions, scenarios and gimmicks a bit faster than its running time.

Don't want to focus on the negative too much with this game tho, considering the things it gets right. I could have probably wrapped it up tonight but I'm pretty tired and Moderna-ey right now. 

In a world where positive world of mouth gets it a sequel it would be the one thing that they really do need to work on though. 

Got to chapter 5.

Spoiler

I enjoyed it but that whole section from landing on Lady Hellbenders planet to leaving felt very long. Also seems silly if you try to sell Rocket. I mean he’s demanding the price he is to be sold for so the whole scale falls apart immediately. I wonder what happens if you sell Groot. I assume she asks for too lower price and Rocket goes nuts anyway.

But looks like the Universal Church of Truth is about to enter the picture so should be more interesting.

That boss was also pretty bad. I didn’t really get what to do in stages 2 and 3 of the fight. Just kept spamming powers when the times seemed right and it worked. 

The calculator joke is one of the best jokes I’ve ever heard in a game. I genuinely laughed out loud for a good minute or so that was so clever. 

EDIT: Fixed

Spoilers my dude.

I beat this now, impressions up above largely unchanged. I kinda feel the budget falls out a bit towards the end. 

It's the sort of thing where you can sense a game of greater ambition that would probably have been realised but for said ambition slowly getting the legs cut out from under it the further you go through. Would rather see another go at a story with these characters than more of that insomniac spiderman stuff

btw on the stuff in maf's spoiler, I picked the same choice as he did but apparently the outcome is extremely different if you go the other way. But I dunno how different, so hopefully someone else picks the other choice rather than everyone doing the same lol

Started this earlier, made absolutely bugger all progress as I had to go out. It looks pretty nice, tried out ray tracing mode but it was pretty obvious that visuals and performance took a hit for that so I'm gonna stick with quality mode for now.

One thing did make me smile straight from the off though...

314417f0-53c1-426e-a631-eb35d6fdce78.png

I used to absolutely love the Fighting Fantasy books back in the eighties and this was one of my favourites.😁

Got up to chapter 6. I do like this game, but I also find it kind of tiring. Like every time I get to a new chapter I save and turn it off because it’s hard to play a lot of it at one time. 

I think it is the constant talking that’s wearing me down. It’s not bad, but there’s so much of it. It’s all kind of one note as well. Just everyone shouting at each other the whole time. It is entertaining, but there is a lot of it.

Even though it’s a shooter I find the combat mashy in the way a hack’n’slash game can be. It’s just constant hitting buttons without much strategy. The only combo I got is use Groot to lock them down then use either Rocket bomb 1 or Gamora stab 2 and it fucks up a crowd. 

I do like this game. But it’s also kind of exhausting between the non-stop shouting and the non-stop spamming buttons

I finished it and had weird glitches where achievements would pop up on steam and never stop. So I had to restart to get the popup to go away

But I dunno if that's a steam thing. I think the game could have bugs to do with triggering the cheevos. But I haven't checked what ones I got, cause who really gives a fuck about steam achievements?

Finally got some more time in. Up to chapter 12. 

Spoiler

That whole section saving Drax was really well done. I was immediately reminded why I missed having him after too with the “I do not see where this is going” line.

All of it has been great so far, Im just loving this game so much. 

Also, this version of Mantis is just fantastic. She’s one of those characters I just look forward to having around and hearing from. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really starting to think this game sucks. I left it alone for two weeks because I couldn't be bothered, but wanted to return to it and see if the break helped but it's so slow and boring. I hate the way Starlord moves. Why do they continue to make 3rd person characters like this? He is so sluggish. Even trying to get him to turn around in a circle feels like trying to turn a car on flat tyres. It's just so hard and terrible to play. 

I also have given up on the combat as well. Lucky it's so mashy you don't need to know how to play. If they're groups select Groot and do his 1st power and then use Rocket to do his first power. If it's a single tough enemy use the charge shot and Drax until they fall over. Everyone else shoot, punch and spam dodge even if you don't know what's going on there's no reason not to keep pushing B. I get what they're going for but I don't think it's good enough at all. 

I dunno. I'm deleting what I was going to write because I can't be bothered to go through how much I think this game kind of sucks all over. Like I get what they're going for but it's just so slow and bad to play. This is the true game reviewers bias because they're all wannabe writers so one game in 2021 has good writing they're like ooh look how good it is. This game's a shit sucker and I just don't think I've got in me to continue. I was done around chapter 4 I'm now at chapter 9 and I just don't think I can get any further. This game is the equivalent trying to push a boulder up a mountain. Every part of this journey is pure struggle. 

I really tried to like it but every time I’ve played it the game has become more and more of a slog and I’m at the point where I don’t have the patience or endurance to withstand the game any further. I get what’s good about it, I get what people like about it, but for me it’s nowhere near enough being worth it to play. This is not a game I’m playing through it’s a game I’m pushing through to try get to a good scene or funny line which, is just too rare. I gave it my best shot but I give up. It's just not a fun video game. 

I get what you mean, that's what I felt about Red Dead II. Impressive but never worth any of the effort.

It could be the novelty of having exactly zero interest in comic books, but enjoying something which seems like a really good treatment of those properties and isn't formulaic like those films for me. I think that's one part of its surprise factor with some people who aren't ordinarily into this sort of stuff

Started this at the weekend and put in about 2-3 hours, I'm up to the end of Chapter 3.

It's really bloody good isn't it? It started off a bit slow and I wasn't quite sure on it at the beginning, it just seemed a little too linear if that makes sense. But once I was halfway through Chapter 1, the camaraderie of the crew started to set in, all the little in jokes and them taking the piss out of one another, fantastic writing and just an awesome bunch of characters to be around. 

It's not really let up so far in terms of action and story pacing. Things just seem to be continually getting worse and worse for the group, being torn from one bad situation to the next, which is quite funny and makes it feel like a bit of a rollercoaster ride. The relentless pace and the camaraderie of the crew makes this feel like a Sci-Fi Uncharted most of the time, which is no bad thing.

Really like how varied each planet (station?) has felt so far, the first filled with all that weird red goo everywhere, the second meeting a cool kid and being guided through the bowels of a ship and the third this really weird yellow planet with an equally crazy jungle filled with all sorts of zany sci-fi weirdness to encounter. 

The only thing I'm not 100% sure on so far is the combat really. It's fun enough and has kept me engaged but I can't help but feel it's very basic so far but then I'm early in to the game and hopefully more stuff gets added to it as time goes on, when you pull of all your specials and the team help each other out to defeat a boss or something it's a nice satisfying feeling though. I will say that the DualSense trigger implementation in this when you have to active reload your blasters is really cool too.

It's a really pretty game as well, one of the best visually so far this generation, some of the bits on the opening planet were absolutely bonkers, just so damn gorgeous. 

So yeah, so far so good, can't wait to play some more on Friday night. I don't think it's a long game from what I've heard so will hopefully clock it this weekend. 

Pics:

Spoiler

41E4736C-5307-48A1-A607-E6A8E153F5D4.jpegD4F94787-41FB-476C-AB1D-EF87611FCDAB.jpeg71423883-01A8-4B03-90A4-9A79D8E0FD6A.jpegFE4929E4-FC33-4FB8-BF0F-3E48D26CD5D9.jpegD437BF50-0F89-42E6-84A6-01E272A56D67.jpeg794CF2DB-1168-4E08-A477-C944C4644240.jpeg5A9FAD16-BAE6-40E0-89C8-C9BF3B1EDB5B.jpeg978A7486-80CE-4406-989C-A055B18E7885.jpegC13AD74B-5EFC-40B7-BB0B-D53C8AFDDD36.jpeg14D11064-F662-4348-9A28-E8D939C67C38.jpeg5B93E560-2605-43BA-8CAB-48091D466740.jpeg

953AF46A-8492-4E6E-A2BD-066874D7A03D.jpeg

FE295B06-2EE3-471C-96B6-715B19AAE205.jpeg

3267E402-4ACD-4EFB-B498-DC96C6A71502.jpeg

2 hours ago, DisturbedSwan said:

The only thing I'm not 100% sure on so far is the combat really.

Yea, combat is the only downer. However I still had a fun with it whereby it didn’t negatively impact the game. If you haven’t yet I highly recommend changing the option in the accessibility menu where you can alter the amount of slowdown while picking abilities. Change it to pause, and then in combat I found it much more enjoyable to just hover above the battlefield issuing commands. That pause ability option reduces the chaos which can be a bit overwhelming and makes it all just feel a bit mashy to the point you rely on the same ones. I enjoyed the combat a lot more then, especially towards then end when I had all the abilities and was using them all in sync. 

Brill game.