passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dodgeball Academia

regemond

Genuinely surprised there isn't a thread for this already. It seems like a game that would be quite popular in here.

I started playing this last night in a "I'm gonna play it for 20 minutes and if I don't like it's getting deleted" kind of mood. I'm now 7-8 hours in and it's great fun!

Remember Golf Story? It's has a similar sort of Sports-PG charm to it. There's tons of humour running through, and the graphical style is a bit like the Gumball cartoon.

You play as Otto, a transfer student to a Dodgeball school, and someone who wants to be world-renowned on the sport. There's a relatively small world to explore, but lots of fun little side quests and plenty of battles to take part in.

Speaking of battles, they're a lot of fun too. You play Dodgeball, so if you know the rules you'll have a leg up. Might be worth watching the Ben Stiller film to refresh your Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge memory. There are charge moves, counters, special moves, and all sorts of fun stuff happening on the court. Matches take place in anything from 1 on 1 to 1 Vs 6, or 3 on 3 contests, and the first to lose their HP loses the game.

I've noticed TONS of homages to Pokémon. From the Dodgeball logo to the battle loading sound effect, a medical centre to refresh your team, and battles in long grass, it's just got loads of cool little nods to Nintendo's most lucrative franchise.

From what I've read it's not super long, but it's really fucking awesome. I genuinely love this game.

I kind of get the middling reviews, but there's enough personality running throughout that the negatives are easy to ignore.

There are tons of fetch quests which basically amount to "go to this spot and fight through 5-10 battles on the way", but what RPG doesn't have that?

It's never going to be a world beating title, but it's definitely more than the sum of its parts. At least for me it is.