passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Metroid Dread

Maf

It's funny, I'm not good at video games. I used to be. But the days of my Mega-Man 'buster only' runs are long gone. But I will pour over every corner of the map and keep repeating the mechanics until I understand them. As @mfnick mentioned with the controls, I had a few deaths and fails, when I kept getting the shoulder inputs wrong. I've gotten to grips with most of it now, aside from those leading to some of the more obscure secrets. Those related to 

Spoiler

Shinesparking

In particular. I'm not "getting" what they are expecting me to do. I'm sure with some of them, I'm just missing an upgrade. We'll see.

On the one hand, I like that completely filling a map rewards you with the flash. However, some maps, that flash can be a little vague as to where it is and how you get it. As per the pic above, I have 7 "?". I know what they are, but until I unlock them, I can't use what I have. I've already seen about half a dozen secrets that require them, for me to be able to get the reward.

I tried to brute force some flashes early on. The ones in lava, for example. Nope, the game didn't like that...

4 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Or have you just been painstakingly checking every nook and cranny? 

😁I'm an RPG guy, It's what I do. I was thinking of showing Map pics here. But, unlike the totals, it would be VERY spoilery.

27 minutes ago, bellow said:

People were mystified by my 20+ hour run of Samus returns. But I thought I got thru it quite efficiently.

In your playthrough did you find a secret pathway where Samus got off the planet and went on a weekend holiday somewhere? What did you do for 20 hours. 

1 hour ago, mfnick said:

19 hours? I thought it was 8-12hours? Or have you just been painstakingly checking every nook and cranny? 

I think the 8-12 hours comes from the game clock which doesn't seem to include deaths.  I'm nowhere near the completion level of OCH, I've not got lost that much, but I have died, quite often unfortunately.  No doubt there'll be people who can beat it in 8 hours first go, but fuck those people

I hope I get 20 hours out of this as well and am certainly taking my time. I didn't wait four years (or 19 depending on whether you count Samus Returns as a new game) for a new Metroid game to go through it in a work day's worth of time.

Speaking of, the game kind of starts drowning you in upgrades after

the Morph Ball

I think on average I got one every 10-15 minutes during my last sessions. One odd thing I noticed regarding the

Spoiler

Space Jump is that it takes priority over the wall jump, meaning you can't wall jump and then space jump

which makes some traversal options less fun IMO but it doesn't impact playability.

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

I think the 8-12 hours comes from the game clock which doesn't seem to include deaths.

yeah the in game clock said just under 10 for me but it definitley was more like double that, i died loads. I had loads less stuff than OCH at the end too, ~155 missiles. Went back to get some more, on about 200 now

Man the purple one is a fucker. Lot of deaths before realising you have to use the thing to get by it. I was trying to be clever but as usual when I try being smart, I end up being really dumb. 

I did get the counter off on the Emmi, though. Nice 😁

Spoiler

I think I got to the last boss last night, one attempt at it then figured it was better to just wait until after work. The previous boss kicked the shit out of me too. Annoying as I'd largely got the pattern down but was let down by the double jump too often, and 1 hit was taking off 2 health tanks