passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Metroid Dread

Maf

Put a couple of hours in last night. Made it to the 3rd area and unlocked the new weapon there. Agree with the points made about it shoving you forward at breakneck pace. Can be a bit overwhelming, finding the controls a bit awkward at times too, holding L&R for the rockets aiming just does me in for some reason. Really enjoying it though. Saying that, I don’t understand all he gushing praise being aimed in its direction, it’s great but not particularly special. I am still early though so will see. 

I’m also finding the environments quite bland, I only played it last night but can’t life of me remember what any area looked like. Not the best looking game either but don’t think it’s ugly anymore like I did during the reveal. 

Love how much of a badass Samus is in it. The part after the first boss where she just walks round it slowly with the charge beam then does hero pose after blowing it up, pretty cool. 
The parry also kicks arse. 

I think it's one of those games where the simple fact that it looks so good in motion due to the rock solid 60fps makes it look better than its assets do. It's not without its sights though IMO, some of the backgrounds are really nice to look at. Edit: Wow, that paragraph is formulated horribly but I hope I got my point across.

I just had to force myself to stop right after beating

Spoiler

Kraid

where I have no idea how its presence makes sense lore-wise but it was a nice surprise and one heck of a fight. First (and second and third) time I died outside of EMMI encounters, I suppose the happy-nice days are over now.

As for Samus' portrayal, this game gives me renewed confidence in Sakamoto's vision for Metroid. This is a far cry from the submissive girl that froze in terror upon the sight of Ridley in Other M. The way she stands face to face against enemies 10 times her size if not more without flinching and then finishing them off like she's Neo or something is exactly how she should behave with her experience and skills.

On 12/10/2021 at 19:07, OCH said:

The First Rage!

I have encountered the first boss that isn't fun. I have five e-tanks. I know what to do. But I'm dead before I even see a weak point. As I've been playing this since about 2pm, I've decided to call it a day with this boss. At least the prior third boss was actually enjoyable to fight.

facepalm-really.gif

I was overthinking it... The boss was actually one of the easier fights.

The game has significantly opened up now. I think I've killed two more bosses. Although it was two encounters with repeated bosses, so I'm not sure if that counts? Lots of lore has happened. Not only did I find the "intended" entrance to the sixth area. But went one step further. Acquired three greatly missed abilities. So in my next session, I just need to get back to the previous areas to re-explore. 43% Item collection on the loading screen. I think that is more than I normally get on a first run through of Metroid and I'm not even finished yet.

Played some more last night, just unlocked the speed ability and area 4 which was visually a lot more interesting and genuinely good looking in parts. Shame it’s a water area. They suck. 

The 2nd boss was great & I’m also loving how they’re portraying Samus in this, stone fucking cold. 

Definitely had a lot more fun on it last night.  

2 hours ago, mfnick said:

I’m also loving how they’re portraying Samus in this, stone fucking cold. 

Absolutely. I also like that the boss post-fight cutscenes only add to this. 

Jesus, barely made progress today, was stuck for almost two hours before finally realising there was an upper path in an EMMI section I overlooked. I'm kind of torn on those to be honest – while they are pretty tense and have some Terminator/Alien vibes of helplessness to them to very much make the game's subtitle well-earned, the fact that you feel rushed to get through can very easily result in fake roadblocks like mine.

On the plus side I pretty much looted the hell out of every area I already was and might have double my missile reserves in the process.

There's a small gamestopper bug that can be circumvented towards the end. Here's a non-spoiler explanation how: https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/p/989/a_id/56652

This little thing aside I gotta say it was kind of refreshing to pop the game and not having to download any kind of update before playing it. It's not talked about at all online which shows just how used we are to massive Day 1 patches already.

Significant progress

I tried to keep track of my progress in this game by the number of bosses. Thinking there would be just one in each level ala previous Metroids. Nope. Now I've lost count and I can only assume with my recent abilities, I am closer to the end game.  So all plot progression has ceased and extensive backtracking has begun. I'm upto about 65% total item collection now.

I would like to point out my favourite boss fight so far. Spoiler free, it is the second boss of level two. You literally have to employ every skill you've learned so far and I really appreciate boss fights like that. Don't get me wrong, there isn't a single boss fight I've done first try in this game so far. But this one in particular felt really rewarding.

The game just threw the biggest fanservice moment at me, completely unexpected (shortly after obtaining the Grapple Beam):

When Samus runs into another living Chozo, who then proceeds to explain a bit what is going on in this game and what was teased at the end of Samus Returns. The fact that Dread even has cutscenes like this surprised me a bit, but then the music kicks in, we hear Samus talk in Chozo tongue for the first time and it seems Sakamoto is finally acknowledging Prime and its sequels in that area's phenomenal art direction, depicting a Chozo temple supposedly build during the height of their power.

I think this could turn into Custer's Revenge now and I'd still consider it my Goty. So much to love here, particularly if you've been following the series for a while. 

I’m lost again so have been doing some back tacking. Sometimes successful sometimes I can’t do that yet moments. So now next time I play I need to figure out where to go. It really doesn’t hold your hand.

Feel free to help an old man out

Spoiler

I just got the morph ball bombs. 

Spoiler

I dont know that specific bit, but whenever i got stuck it was usually a hidden destructible block, so fire missiles at everything i guess, most likely near where you found the morph bombs, or if theres a transport thing there, maybe on the other end of the transport thing. I got super lost once and had to look at some youtube walkthroughs to see where to go next, not that helpful sorry!

Jesus, how great does Ghavoran look? The game might start off with some bland laboratory-type backgrounds but it gets prettier by the minute the further you get. Kind of makes me want to get an OLED Switch and plan a second playthrough in handheld mode.

I got very stuck for a while just. I can sympathise with the complaints about the hidden blocks. It's one thing when there's only 1 room to go in, it's another when you have to go to another area, then do a platforming puzzle to get to a teleporter to then continue the game

Not actually giving me trouble, just mentioned it so people have a rough idea where I’m up to and which abilities I’ve got access to.

Im just finding the controls really fiddly. Exclusively using the pro controller too. I’ve no idea how people are playing this using Joycons. Hats off to you if you do.