passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Metroid Dread

Maf

Oh, I see, I see, so this is the best video game I didn’t know.

Played just past the first boss. I’d say it’s taken about an hour so far. Really like it. This is some truly addictive Metroid it’s very hard to put down.

Love the atmosphere and set up as well. I liked Samus Returns but remember saying at the time it kind of felt a bit forgettable. It was good in the sense as it did all the Metroid things you want, but was forgettable because nothing about it was distinct outside of the structure and some bosses.

Right off the bat I’ve never played a Metroid with this tone or style. I’ve also already gotten an ability I’ve never seen in a Metroid game before.

These Emmi’s are scary. I’ve only faced 2 and both of them have killed me. The second killed me multiple times. I’ve always been easily rattled by invincible things chasing me in games. Whether it’s Mr X’s, The tank monster from Gears of War down to the ghosts in Sonic and Knuckles. It doesn’t really matter what it is, being chased just fucks me up. Not only are these things freaky and the music crazy when they’re on you. You have to add in the Metroidvania element of not knowing where you’re going and just running through doors, and sometimes in to dead ends. That mix of panic with this type of level design is a very good idea.

I think once you’ve played it and learn the map it will become much easier to work around but running around blind is like ahh fuck.

Playing on the OLED too. Sacrificing audio (which is a shame because the music is great, wish I had headphones for this) but it looks sick. Not only is the game visually very good but it’s nice to play a Switch game on a display it was meant for. Looks sharp as hell on the screen as I suspect on my TV it would probably look soft like a lot of Switch games do.

Only first hour but jeez. This is a video game. 

Surprise! It’s great.

The controls are fluid and quickly become second nature, the enemies are naughty and deserve the death you give to them and the new counter ability feels good to pull off.

7BD3E4F8-D133-433B-9925-CB954FE8A5BF.jpeg

The EMMI make things tense and that’s where the dread comes into play because it’s insta death if caught. Well a 99% chance of it.

7645A122-AF2E-43C3-929A-2594A8A84711.jpeg

I’m looking forward to rinsing this. 

Spoilers

Spoiler

Game start

FBNqanyVkAIxRwJ?format=jpg&name=large

Done 2 bosses and reached the 4th area. This game really sped up and threw a bunch of key powers up at me really fast. I think I picked up 4 or 5 new abilities in the space of an hour. As much as I’m liking this game I can see there being a criticism of it being too linear. I think all the Metroid games are games that need to be completed in a set order. Maybe there is some variation, I’m not sure. But here Dread is so strict on where to go it’s almost like it’s not worth exploring at all until you have a lot of upgrades. That’s how I’m playing it anyway. If I see a side thing I can get, I’ll grab it. They have been very few though and I get no sense of encouragement or even allowance to explore. The game feels very much on a set track so far.

I like it a lot. I really enjoy the focus on atmosphere, story/mystery and quickness of the game. I think some hardcore Metroid people might be a bit down on how strict the game is, though.

My only complaint is the map. It’s like those really complicated train maps where there’s a thousand thin, different colour lines and they’re all crossing over each other. The map is quite simple but there’s a lot overlaid on the top that makes it hard to read. 

I haven’t got that O ability yet but I must be close. I think I put 2 hours in and then I got stuck. I’m not sure where I’m supposed to be going next so I turned it off as I was tired anyway. 

@Maf You not counting 

Spoiler

Eye connected to brain on ceiling as a boss? 

i've only played a bit so far, got to the first boss, died loads, will give it another go tomorrow. some good bits, quite frustrating too though. finding they throw a lot of controls at you early on and i'm finding it tricky. sort of suspected i'd be rubbish at it though, and i am, but crucially you don't lose much progress when you die so i'm going to stick at it for now. could do with faster loading. counters seem basically impossible for me too.

32 minutes ago, spatular said:

counters seem basically impossible for me too

I can’t counter the EMMIs. I’ve no idea when to and samus just ends up with a pathetic kick or punch before dying. But I can other enemies.

I only got the counter against the EMMI's the first time. I'm not sure now if that was scripted or not? So many deaths to them...

This so far, has been well worth the wait. That first boss was great. I was so dense for that third phase though. Even though there is a visual clue in the cutscene. It took a while to get it. Much like the parry in general. All the new controls feel very good. The wall jump is easier than ever. Reminds me of Fusion, in that respect. I only had about two and a half hours today. But I'm near the end of the second area and really enjoying it. 

Also, silent Samus is best Samus!

13 hours ago, mmmark said:

But I can other enemies.

yeah its definitely the way to go, its much more fun than shooting them normally. I guess im getting a little better at it, can do it sometimes now, but still pretty rubbish. Did the first boss though. Also keep thinking im stuck but its usually a 

Spoiler

Destructable wall

just done the second boss too, it was super difficult, took i guess 20+ tries. Last time i tried to play an older 2d metroid i gave up on the first boss, so thats some kind of progress i guess, or this is easier. I did think when getting this i might not be able to finish it but wanted to give it a go anyway. So far its alright, will keep playing anyway.

Oh now the game start

Spoiler

FBTB3fQUcAMQZyj?format=jpg&name=large

This game is fantastic. It’s so good. If I had to guess I have hit the midway point in terms of story, but the pace of this game is both fast and very offbeat I could not be that far. 

The second Aeion power (or however you spell it) is the best power I’ve seen in a Metroid game. It’s so much fun to use. That’s part of what makes this game so great is everything is fun to use. Like my problem with Scarlett Nexus is the controls feel awful and out the gate characters are essentially disabled in terms of what you expect from a video game character. With Dread as soon as you start everything feels just like it should. The controls snap within 0.2 seconds. Then it gets better from there. Bar a couple of power ups that are more passive, every bolt on ability takes a character that is perfect to move and then enhances and enhances. 

The graphics and sound in this game too. Amazing. 

Loving this game. It’s on track to be my favourite Metroid game at this rate.

7 hours ago, mmmark said:

The amount of times I’ve forgotten it zaps your energy and I’ve been left at deaths door. 

Yes! Even though they mention it on those loading screens I didn't notice for the first two or three times I used it.

Only played another hour and a half yesterday. Now I have:

Spoiler

Morph Ball and Varia Suit

I'm going to break away from the plot and backtrack. Already driving myself mad filling in every room on the map. Although they give you a real benefit for doing so.

I was playing the game on my TV to see what it was like against the Switch and did the first boss again

Spoiler

FBWEXuDUcAMtKOM?format=jpg&name=large
FBWEXuFUcAQzZxM?format=jpg&name=large

FBWEXuHVkAA_nmW?format=jpg&name=large
FBWEXt2VcAoe1FK?format=jpg&name=large

This game is so cool. They’re doing stuff with Metroid in terms of cinematics and story that I’ve never seen before and I love it. This game is amazing.

Only played it for another hour or so today. Turns out that boss spoiler was for boss number two anyway. Still a ruined surprise, but not far enough into the game to be infuriating. So I notice that this is a clever game when it comes to backtracking. It will allow you some things (I currently have 69 missiles and 2 E-tanks) but, a lot of it is merely teased. Upon returning to the first area, I saw other upgrades. Hidden behind purple and/or yellow blocks. Atop impossibly high rooms or sheer inclines. So this game isn't as non-linear as Super Metroid. But so far, more so than Fusion. 

Next session I suppose I'll kill the second boss. My first attempt I got to phase two. So I don't imagine it should take much longer.

I hope this game doesn't keep a death counter at the end😂

This game does a lot of stuff I think will piss off super, hardcore Metroid fans. It’s very talky, lots of cut scenes, it’s very directed and funnels the player to where it wants them to be. I like it a lot because it’s the most different Metroid game I’ve played and I enjoy these elements. I’m a very casual fan, though. I think Other M is really good for instance lol.

I can see the 3 hour critic videos hitting YouTube next week already. Expecting a nice amount of backlash against Dread.