passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

No More Heroes 3

mfnick

Holy fuckballs this is amazing

Played about 2 hours & im loving it so far. This is exactly my type of game. It’s bright, loud, insane, funny, it’s just got so much style and character and is so unique to everything else. Especially these days. So much of it just feels like it has a loads of effort put into it, even going up to a door fills the screen with colour, icons and symbols. 

Like NMH2 it has a shit open world portion with busy work, which I normally hate but in this I really don’t care just because I love everything around it so much. In fact it can be oddly compelling. Hopefully I still feel the same as I progress. This feels slightly different too, I remember not being a big fan of 2 but this feels like a real return to form for me. 

But if you didn’t like NMH 2 or just don’t like Suda’s style you’ll still hate this game. For the rest of us, these first 2 hours are the best Suda has been since Killer 7 IMO. 

I've started this but not done a huge amount yet. I need to do one more thingy fight before I can start the next boss mission

It's pretty funny so far though. 

I watched the Digital Foundry video about it, I'm a little surprised by their findings because it didn't feel that smooth to me

Im up to the rank 7 fight now, it’s definitely settled into more of a set rhythm now but it’s a very enjoyable one. Always excited to see what the next character brings and I’m still loving it.

It’s just so mad and exciting compared to anything I’ve played recently which counts for a hell of a lot with me. Take R&C Rift Apart, much better game in every way but - & this may seem mad - I’m actually enjoying this more & actually prefer this just because its so much more interesting. 

Edit - just done the rank 7 fight. Pretty by the numbers battle but the cut scenes bookending it were just incredible. The opening in particular. 
Don’t click the spoiler unless you’re not bothered about playing it or have beaten 7, the title gives it away. 

Spoiler

A masterpiece. 

Edit 2 - just done rank 6. Think that may be my favourite one so far. Mental in a very good way. Although the backwards buttons on the Switch almost fucked it up for me. 5 hours in and I’m still messing button presses up. Stupid Nintendo. 

• 2 weeks later...

Completed last night. I loved it throughout, it’s my personal GoTY so far. I’m not sure why this one clicked so much with me, but it did. The open world is ugly, framey and empty but I didn’t care, you don’t spend long in it if you don’t want to. Plus it’s tiny which helps. 

The combat is really simple, but it somehow still gives real satisfaction from figuring out boss patterns and beating them. Speaking of bosses, they are fantastic, all of them are memorable, unique and crazy. Some will change the gameplay for a phase of their battle to keep things fresh and interesting too. It’s the perfect length at just over 10 hours for me too. Just as it could have started to get tedious - the last time I entered the open world part I did feel myself wane a bit - it knows to end. 

It was just so refreshing, crazy and had so much style throughout, all of its shortcomings really didn’t matter. Style wise it just seemed made for me. Loved it.

9/10

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Look at my baby now! Look at that frame rate reaching above single figures and the eye searing clarity. Beautiful! 

Can’t wait. Yea I’ve already played it but I’ll be getting this day 1 defo. Love it. 

• 2 months later...