passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Alan Wake Remastered

mmmark

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

depends what they do with it, but given its problems I'd say a remake would be a better move

What problems are they? I know little about the game's history, but I did play it on gamepass when I first got an Xbox late last year. I'd call it my favourite game in the horror genre. I loved every minute.

22 hours ago, bellow said:

What problems are they? I know little about the game's history, but I did play it on gamepass when I first got an Xbox late last year. I'd call it my favourite game in the horror genre. I loved every minute.

I've not played a huge amount of it but I seem to remember the combat and structure being sticking points at the time. From what I have played it doesn't play as well as Max Payne 2 

I thought it was hugely underwhelming; felt just like a bit of Silent Hill mixed in with Alone in the Dark (New Nightmare) with a hint of Deadly Premonition and Project Zero.

Hence, for me it lacked its own clear identity in both story & gameplay.

I so wanted to like it more than I did.

I actually remember really enjoying the gameplay. It was my first Remedy game and despite the praise May Payne had been getting in years prior I was still surprised at how good the gunplay felt. It was maybe a tad too scripted at times as IIRC the sound and level design design always made it clear when combat was going to happen or end, but I enjoyed playing it. The storyline, not so much. Or rather I still have no idea what happened and I wasn't a fan of paper scraps lying around, spoiling what happens at the next corner. It was a storytelling choice that just didn't work for me.

But I enjoyed it for the gameplay, the strong sense of atmosphere and the excellent soundtrack. I remember watching the entirety of every episode's credits just to listen to the songs. Overall the good memories are stronger than the bad ones, but it's not a game I'd replay because there's a risk that ratio might flip around after so many years.

As you play you find pages or something that describe things that haven’t happened yet. Then you walk in to the fight and it’s what you read before.

But it’s meant to build anticipation and tension. @Maryokutai viewing it as a spoiler is very funny. I never would of thought of it that way. 

12 hours ago, Maf said:

This the funniest. I can’t process it. How anti spoiler can someone be haha.

It's really not that hard to process, maybe try again. It's the same thing as a narrator in a movie telling you who dies in the next five minutes.

Of course it's not a spoiler per se because it's a deliberate narrative choice from the developer but I fail to see the value in it. Why tell me what happens around the next corner instead of surprising me with it? It doesn't build anticipation or anything, it just deflates the experience in my opinion.

I don’t know the value in it. I didn’t even remember the game did it until you mentioned it. The only one I can think of is Wake finds a page that says he will be attacked in a scrap yard or something. Then as you approach the scrapyard you’re alert and waiting to be attacked. 

I just thought it was funny that you are so anti spoiler that even this was too much. 

There's a few films which do that tho, Sunset Boulevard 'spoils' a major character death immediately. I think it's a very film noir kinda conceit, which actually isn't Alan Wake trying to crib stuff from that as well. Dunno where Alan Wake goes with that stuff but stories aren't just about being surprised by unexpected things but anyway I posted enough on that in the berserk thread I think

One of my favourite movies is Moon which gives the viewer about 30 minutes of runtime to figure out its "twist" themselves, and everyone will manage to do so, as a means to let the emotional impact of it grow and spread, which wouldn't work if it was all condensed into a single moment of shock value.

So yes, I'm totally fine with different methods of storytelling. But in Alan Wake's case, as mentioned earlier, it just didn't work for me. I don't know why maf made a big deal of that particular sentence in my post. And why I decided to not just leave it as is. 

Not making this up but I had a friend who was way more spoilerphobic than anyone here and he actually got mad at me for telling him Kevin Spacey was in Moon. This was before Kevin Spacey was known to be a sex pest, his limit of acceptable information was knowing anything at all. Like damn man how do you walk down the street, movie posters everywhere spoiling stuff for you lol

Very frustrating to talk to that dude about anything tbh

Anyway I think they are announcing a Alan Wake remaster because they have a new game to show off soon that will involve Alan Wake. They're getting ready to pay off the Alan Wake DLC teaser from Control