passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Aliens: Fireteam Elite

Nag

Been mucking around with this over the last couple of nights, probably put in 4 or 5 hours (maybe more)... I'm not going to pretend we have GotY on our hands but it's doing exactly what I expected of it, namely leaving your brain behind a blasting the ever living fuck out of anything that moves.

35bf5665-bb04-4069-918e-179538cddce9.png

It's nailed the look and sounds of the movies, at the start you have a fairly basic create a character menu with male and female options, there's four classes each with their own perks and abilities... so far so normal. I went with the Demolition class as I wanted to be like Drake in the film and repeatedly shout "right on Vas" while I'm mowing down Xenos with the Smartgun.

3b006dfc-bd93-425f-a98b-a0b11ed8a2ff.png

The fodder "runner" enemies don't really offer too much in the way of tactics, they'll head straight at you but some of the other types do use hit and run tactics using vents and stuff to get behind you and cause a little mayhem... I've also just got to a level where it's almost turned in to a Gears game (there's a cover system... which is no use at all with the Aliens) as I'm fighting the Working Joe's from Alien Isolation.

8c88e442-28a0-4185-ba13-19c777a9953e.png

I'm only around half way through the game (there's 4 acts with 3 missions in each) and there's been a decent amount of backdrops so far. I can imagine the game is going to get pretty difficult too especially if I play above normal difficulties as when more than a couple of Warrior type enemies appear things generally fall to shit... and that leads to the games biggest failing so far, matchmaking is fucked, so far I've found one game and the game taking the place of real players really doesn't cut it. I hope that they can sort out whatever is going on with that because it is putting a slight downer on the whole experience.

Spoiler

9366582e-ed9b-416e-8361-45d078b70678.png

0d423f8a-6dd8-4b14-b89c-4f8e0e064795.png

ed3ad434-caa7-4843-a708-2bee7aba0b93.png

10c9a06c-5a33-48d5-afdc-efdb26666825.png

67054d92-dae3-4992-805a-da29feb506ea.png

Finished the 3rd mission of the second act today so I'm halfway through now, things are ramping up considerably with the difficulty now... I can see me either having to grind levels so I can afford better equipment or (the shame) lower the difficulty.

On the plus side both times I tried matchmaking today it actually worked... it didn't find anyone but at least it tried which is a step up from what was happening.

I think (I hope🤞) that the matchmaking issues have been resolved, played a couple of missions with two randoms last night who I could hear (I was being the strong, silent type)... coordinating fire and popping off multiple different abilities with a mix of character classes definitely makes the game feel better and easier... hoping that's now the norm.

Finished off the last act last night, in what could be the biggest waste of a boss type enemy ever I found out that you don't even get to face off against a Queen... terrible decision.

I think there may be a roadmap to new content (free I hope) in this so hopefully they add more scenarios, there's also a horde mode unlocked now although it would be a bit weird if the Queen was in that and not the campaign.

I'm trying to go through on Intense now, only problem is it has friendly fire activated and I'm using a Flamethrower... you'd think people would have the brains to stay out of the way of that... apparently not.😢

Finished Act 1, reached the final mission on Act 2 now. Definitely enjoying this, the shotgun and Smartgun are so satisfying to use. I like the customisation aspect, and that you earn everything in game with no micro transaction bollocks.

From what I’ve played so far, it’s certainly surprised me. I wasn’t expecting much from this, and it may end up being one of my favourite multiplayers of the year.

Had my first crash experience. It was on mission two of act 3. A friend played a challenge that made the screen a bit green and blurry. My base PS4 was not keen on that, at all. About halfway through the mission, the lag went ridiculous, until it eventually kicked me out entirely.

Fortunately when we tried it again without that challenge, it ran ok.

Finished this just now, on Casual, on my third attempt. On my first, it went well right up to the final part of the level, until I made one fuck up that cost the entire mission.

On attempt two, I tried with my two mates. Unfortunately, my base PS4 really seems to struggle in co-op on the more hectic missions. The frame rate drops to an alarming rate, until it eventually goes “Fuck off” and crashes entirely. Which proper sucks. Hopefully they figure out a way to fix that, a way that doesn’t involve “buy a PS5 lol”. Because that’ll make playing Acts 3 and 4 on higher difficulties literally impossible.

Finally completed the last mission on my third attempt, on my own. Was pretty hectic towards the end, but for the most part was a satisfying finale. 

• 2 years later...

Been playing this with @Duck.

It's fine. It's not Deep Rock, that's for sure. Certainly isn't Left 4 Dead either. Or PAYDAY2. Fuck, it's struggle to go toe to toe with WWZ.

I tell you what is insane to me. The fact that they have all this layered stuff with levelling up and everything, perks out the wazoo and all that business. This would have been perfectly sufficient as a A to B thing, kill the things and have fun before moving on to the next game. I have no idea why they over designed this with all the extra shit. It doesn't need it. Not everything needs to be an endless time sink.