passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Neo The World Ends With You

DANGERMAN

I was sure there was a thread for this, but apparently not. If anyone sees it post the link and I'll merge

Neo The World Ends With You plays quite a bit differently than the original The World Ends With You. Rather than knock a puck between screens, because now there aren't 2 screens, you're instead using your teammates in a battle arena, do enough damage with one of them there'll be a moment where the enemy is vulnerable to a combo attack where you carry on the attack with a different character. Doing this fills a meter that lets you launch more powerful attacks, but I can't say I've been using the special all that much really.

The thing that makes the combat notable, in theory, is that each character is assigned a button based on what pin they're assigned (TWEWY is all about badges 🦡 ). So you mash the X button, then when there's a prompt that the enemy is vulnerable or that character has ran out of attack power, you switch to the Y button, or R, L, ZR, ZL, whatever it is. It means you can be looking at meters a lot, seeing if people are available to attack, although as you stick with the pins you just learn the rhythm of them. It's worth stick with some too as they all have the ability to level up or evolve, so stick with them to max out their potential, then switch to the next one. Nothing new to use, then stick on a powerful one you like

The tone of the game is similar to the original game, to a point. It's not as misanthropic as Neku could be, but the flip side to that is that the supporting cast can be very annoying. That Japanese game/anime thing of a character having a particular trait, like really liking maths, so every word out of their mouth is about maths. There's precious few characters I can say I like because of this, there's one from another team who seems alright, but then constantly throws in Spanish, Italian of French phrases because he's travelled, rpgs are too long for that king of shit

Given that the premise of what TWEWY is about was already revealed in the first game, to mix things up in this one everyone has latent powers. Fret can plant words in people's heads to remind them or influence them, Nagi (a character you get a few days in, it's a while before you get a full team) can rid them of corruption, and Rin can travel back in time. It's all narrative based, and Rin's power does mean a little too much fucking around, but it's better than them holding back the reveal most of the people playing already know

I'll say, so far because it took until the end of the first week for me to click with the first game, that it's not a patch on the original. Which is fine, I just want it to be good, and at the minute it's just a bit dull. Possibly my fault for getting in to too many fights, but it could do with being tighter and a little punchier. The day I'm on at the minute is basically a Conquest mode, I need to run around taking on other teams in their zones to earn points, it's something a little novel and different from what's gone on before, even if I suspect they'll change things and revert back to the fannying around of the first few days

• 2 weeks later...

I'm towards the end of this, I'm on the last day in fact, fighting what looks like the final boss, but there's no way that's how this is going to go, it's just not how it's wired.

I've enjoyed this, but it's not tipped over in to love, it's certainly not a patch on the original. It is good though, as the game progresses the amount of pins you can equip, and the various types, means you can tailor the combat to suit how you want to play. I wouldn't say it keeps it hugely fresh, I've took part in too many fights for that, but it has that sort of monotony that is kind of distractingly pleasant

The reason I still think there's plenty of game left is that the way the days have been structured is that you get led across the map, getting in to fights by choice or to progress through barriers. Then you get to the end of the day, fail at whatever the mission was, then rewind time and have to revisit areas again. Days can take a decent amount of time to get through

The story is coming together, it'll certainly end up on my games of the year but if it's too 5 then it's been a poor year