passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dead Space remake

retroed

Oh is this more of an open game now then? That does sounds really interesting

I found the original Dead Space pretty disappointing, like it was a good replacement for Resident Evil at the time when it was on a downturn but it wasn't really doing anything surprising imo. But a more exploratory survival horror sounds cool.

Initially thought this was going to be more of a Last of Us thing but sounds like a real rethink now

Honestly a bit underwhelmed. I know the structure of the game is different and it’s more like a metroidvania, so when playing it hopefully it feels like a fresher experience.

But the game play clips look exactly the same as I’ve already played. Almost like a shot for shot remake. It doesn’t even look that much better than I remember it looking (although I’m sure side by side comparisons will really show the difference)

I was really looking forward to this. Loved the first 2 Dead Space games. But this trailer has dialled back my excitement rather than increase it. 

4 minutes ago, Maf said:

It doesn’t even look that much better than I remember it looking

I played through the series last year on Series X.... even on a YouTube video it looks much better than the original, believe me.

Not to get too into it, but a problem I had with the original is how it feels like a repackaging of a bunch of horror tropes from famous movies, like Event Horizon and Alien. 

That's also part of the appeal, but it feels more familiar once again seeing it all re-done like that. A homage to a homage.

I know it's probably not for me and all and that's fine. I'm not sure what I'd specifically want really. I dunno, it sort of produces the same reaction I had watching The Last of Us remake. I watched a dunkey video on that recently and his point was that the best way to look at these kind of things is like the equivalent of an extravagant 4k blu-ray re-release of a classic film for the super-fans (example given was RoboCop). Which I guess is a good way to look at it.

13 minutes ago, Maf said:

Honestly a bit underwhelmed. I know the structure of the game is different and it’s more like a metroidvania, so when playing it hopefully it feels like a fresher experience.

But the game play clips look exactly the same as I’ve already played. Almost like a shot for shot remake. It doesn’t even look that much better than I remember it looking (although I’m sure side by side comparisons will really show the difference)

I was really looking forward to this. Loved the first 2 Dead Space games. But this trailer has dialled back my excitement rather than increase it. 

Absolutely. Definitely veering towards Callisto Protocol over this, now.

9 minutes ago, mmmark said:

Looks as good as it always did. I’d play through it again with prettier graphics. It’s a classic. 

Finally, someone with taste.😉

I'm obviously guessing here but I'd say with the first trailer they're going to be aiming for the fans with nostalgia (plus it stops the Internet breaking with all the dumbasses crying that they've broken Dead Space if it's too different)... it's a fair bet given a couple more trailers we'll be seeing some of the new stuff.

And if there aren't too many differences in the long run who cares, it's a classic.

It's another case, like RE 4, that it didn't need to be remade. A Dead Space HD re-release would have been fine. Games from the seventh generation are hardly garish polygons with tank controls, in comparison to today.

8 minutes ago, OCH said:

It's another case, like RE 4, that it didn't need to be remade.

Maybe it didn't need it but the original is showing it's age now (it'll be 15 years old next year I believe) and a 4k update only does so much. In any case, in my opinion, this (and RE4) well deserve the remake treatment and I'm looking forward to getting my grubby little mitts on both.

I think RE 4 is hard work nowadays. This, on the other hand, felt as good as any modern game I've played when I did 1 and 2 last year. The sound design was off the charts.

I suppose it depends on the scale of your appreciation of the original whether you think this remake was necessary. For me this game has a certain feel to it that could easily be lost in an ultra modern overhaul.

@mmmark looks forward to playing a classic game with prettier graphics. That's good enough for me. Why shouldn't a company make money on their IP when there's a market for it. For this game tho, for me, I'm yet to be convinced by what I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...